• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Why B5 Worked and Crusade/Rangers Didn't

Re: Why B5 Worked and Crusade/Rangers Didn\'t

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
<font color="yellow"> Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino: </font color>
The result is the distinctly inferior "black uniform" episodes. If you watch the first five episodes produced, and maybe add "Appearances and Other Deceits", you end up with a series that is, episode for episode, stronger through the first six shows than B5 S1 was.

[/quote]

Production Order:

Gray Uniforms:
101 The Needs of Earth
102 The Memory of War
103 Racing the Night
104 Visitors from Down the Street
105 Each Night I Dream of Home

The first production shutdown.

Black Uniforms:
106 The Well of Forever
107 The Long Road
108 War Zone
109 The Path of Sorrows
110 Patterns of the Soul
111 Ruling from the Tomb
112 The Rules of the Game
113 Appearances and Other Deceits

I don't find all of the black uniform episodes "distinctly inferior" (maybe because they all have JMS in them /forums/images/icons/grin.gif ), and I'd certainly add:

106 The Well of Forever
109 The Path of Sorrows
110 Patterns of the Soul
112 The Rules of the Game (solely, on the strength of the "Max" thread)
113 Appearances and Other Deceits

...to the list of "good" episodes. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

<font color="yellow">Did the Vorlons turn out to be what they seemed to be in The Gathering?</font color>
Weren't they willing to blow up the whole station if they didn't get Sinclair? I figure that's like hiding something in plain sight.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Am I the only one who much preferred Evan Chen's music for Crusade over Franke's score for B5

[/quote]

I also quite liked it. He was 30 years ahead of his time but most people seem to want the Franke/ Williams type of score with their scifi. www.musicofb5.com has some great exerpts of chen's music.

Well the black uniform episodes did improve one thing - the black uniforms. The grey ones just looked way too much like pyjamas for me.

Being in the UK, we got the vids first with the grey uniform eps being the last five in the series.

Of the black uniform eps I though The Long Road was pretty good, but then I like Edward Woodward and it was good to see some more hints of technomagery, with the rest being OK, but no more.

My disappointment was quickly banished though when tape 5 appeared, complete with "Racing the Night". Now that is a show opener!

At that point, it was almost like a whole different show had started, without the silly love thang between Gideon and Lochley getting in the way.

My own personal fave though has to be "Each Night I Dream of Home", just for the hints that it (B5-like) drops of being part of something much bigger while still being a character-driven story.

Oh ... and I like Chen's music too.

/forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Yes and that episode would have been even better if it had been shown 1st. Then, we wouldn't know what a technomage ship looked like and we'd wonder if Gideon was going to be OK after being attacked by the smaller drones and kidnapped by the ship. The impact is lost, as you know from earlier episodes that it is Galen's ship!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back