• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Who is your favorite Technomage? (spoilers)

I guess the ones we saw the most of on TV still stand out as my favorites: Elric, Galen, and Alwyn.

------------------
"What's up, Drakh?"

Michael Garibaldi

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Godkiller:

actually, i believe Elizar was one of the most believable "villains" JMS has come up with to date. although personally i think of Elizar more as misguided than a villain. perhaps antagonist is the better word, with Galen, Isabel and Elric being protagonists. there was just so much ambiguity in the story it was hard to tell at times who was good and who was evil, and i like that. Elizar was quite believable as a villain, at least to me, so yeah, i liked Elizar too. kind of...

[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thankyou!!!

------------------
-With every light is born a shadow-

It's gotta be Galen!
cool.gif

------------------
Dulann: You don't solve your problems by hitting them.
David Martel: Yeah, well, it made me feel better.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Godkiller:
so was anyone else teed off by

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> the death of Kane? </font></td></tr></table>

i think he had so much potential as a character. than again, he could have

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> faked his own death in front of Vir, so that if the Drahk ever compromised Vir they would believe him dead. i just really liked Kane and was quite upset with his death. </font></td></tr></table>

i mean, JMS could go so far as to use Kane in a second technomage trilogy, a guest character in a future series or movie, or even in a standalone novel,

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> if only he hadnt been "killed" off</font></td></tr></table>

oh well, i can still hope, no?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Godkiller,

Oh, Kane is a great character, although I'm a little confused about his ability to

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>see the future, based on the nature of the Technomages as described in the Technomage trilogy.</font></td></tr></table>

Was anyone else bothered by that?

Joe

------------------

It's a tough one for me! Obviously I love Galen! He made Crusade! In my opinion, the biggest shame of Crusade being cancelled was losing Peter Woodward playing that character. I really loved the Technomage trilogy, but I don't think the character was the same without Peter Woodward playing him. My imagination just isn't as talented as the actor. One character I did love from the trilogy was Fed. Come one, how could you not love Fed. Not only was he the man with the ladies and nothing could get him down, but he was elected to teh Cirlce! How cool is that! I think I gotta throw in my vote for Fed!

------------------

One of the things that Distinguishes the Babylon 5 universe is a "law of nature" borrowed from Joe Bob Briggs:
"Anyone can Die at Any Time!"

The unpredictability is one of the things that makes the stories more interesting and "Real", since that IS the way things work in real life: Sometimes (more often, in fact) the Hero Dies.

That's why there are so many Posthumous awards of medals for valor.

------------------
Do not ascribe your own motivations to others:
At best, it will break your heart.
At worst, it will get you dead."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> KANE?!

Who is that?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, there was the horror/fantasy series by Karl Edward Wagner a while back that featured a main character by that name.
Kane had been cursed by a mad God to live forever and never know Peace or Happiness and to betray all those he might ever love.
So, he wandered from war to war, and place to place, always alone in the end.

------------------
Do not ascribe your own motivations to others:
At best, it will break your heart.
At worst, it will get you dead."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Babylon-ocholic:
KANE?!

Who is that?

And Billyo, many other suprises.

MANY MANY More!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Babylon-ocholic,

Kane is the technomage in the first two books of the Centauri trilogy. He is also mentioned in passing in "Invoking Darkness."

Joe

------------------
All right, fine; you look for them. Me? I'm going down there, and maybe I'll bust some heads, and maybe they'll bust mine, but nobody sells out my people like this. Nobody.

so was anyone else teed off by

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> the death of Kane? </font></td></tr></table>

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Teed off? No. Saddened? Yes.

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> Still, his death had meaning. He made a difference. He contributed to the demise of the Drakh. </font></td></tr></table>

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

Crusade (reruns) starting 03/26/2002 at 1PM EST on the Sci-Fi Channel

http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by joev5638:
Godkiller,

Oh, Kane is a great character, although I'm a little confused about his ability to

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>see the future, based on the nature of the Technomages as described in the Technomage trilogy.</font></td></tr></table>

Was anyone else bothered by that?

Joe

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Got a Legions of Fire Book Number & Page Number reference for Kane's ability to

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>see the future,...</font></td></tr></table>

?

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Galen's Staff:

cough* SPOILER *cough*

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>but he was elected to teh Cirlce! </font></td></tr></table>

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KoshN:
Got a Legions of Fire Book Number & Page Number reference for Kane's ability to

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>see the future,...</font></td></tr></table>

?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

KoshN,

Armies Of Light And Dark (Book 2).

Read page 34. Kane says,

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> "I have seen it." </font></td></tr></table>

Read pages 36 and 37, where Kane

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>gives Vir the rock. </font></td></tr></table>

Read page 48, where Vir

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> questions Gwynn as to whether Kane saw the future. </font></td></tr></table>

Pages 51-53 are where Vir

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> uses the rock, and where Kane is shot by the Drakh's weapon. </font></td></tr></table>

And pages 56-57 tie it all together, with Gwynn saying

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> that "Some" technomages have the ability to see things that will happen. </font></td></tr></table>

I wouldn't have a problem with this at all if

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> Kane was a Centauri, who often have dreams/visions of when they will die (reference: "Midnight On The Firing Line"), but according to "The Long Night Of Centauri Prime" (Book One) it is implied that Kane is human, referring to him as a "man" and somewhat ruling out the possibility that he is Centauri when he refers to Centauri Prime as "your homeworld" to Vir. </font></td></tr></table>

Then again, this could be JMS's way of opening up some new areas of "advancement or species" to explore.

------------------
Joe Vancil
joev@joev.com

"All right, fine; you look for them. Me? I'm going down there, and maybe I'll bust some heads, and maybe they'll bust mine, but nobody sells out my people like this. Nobody."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by joev5638:
KoshN,

Armies Of Light And Dark (Book 2).

*snip*

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you very much! I'll go back and check it out to refresh my memory.
laugh.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

I wouldn't have a problem with this at all if

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> Kane was a Centauri, who often have dreams/visions of when they will die (reference: "Midnight On The Firing Line"), but according to "The Long Night Of Centauri Prime" (Book One) it is implied that Kane is human, referring to him as a "man" and somewhat ruling out the possibility that he is Centauri when he refers to Centauri Prime as "your homeworld" to Vir. </font></td></tr></table>

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kane never could've been one. I believe it's stated some time in Casting Shadows that

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> Tilar was the first Centauri to apply for magehood, but got booted out right before initiation. Then came Carvin, we all know what happened to her. I think it was specifically stated that those were the only 2 Centauri mages. </font></td></tr></table>

------------------
Sheridan: Are you trying to cheer me up?
Ivanova: No sir, wouldn't dream of it.
Sheridan: Good, I hate being cheered up. It's depressing.
Ivanova: So in that case we're all going to die horrible, painful, lingering deaths.
Sheridan: Thank you, I feel so much better now.

In Invoking Darkness I remember hearing of another older Centauri Techno-mage. Maybe he initionated after Carvin and was already somewhat old.

------------------
Martin: "I should have brought my gun."
Debi: "What?!"
Martin: "Should be fun!" - Grosse Pointe Blank
Slappy's Solar System!

I believe Centauri technomages had been rare for awhile. Tilar being the only one even to be an initiate for a long time.

------------------
"I was free to wallow in my own crapulence." -Mr. Burns in "Who Shot Mr. Burns Part Two"

I have never read the Technomage trilogy so my choices are very limited, joev. But I guess I have to pick Elric. That sense of fear and awe he inspires is, well, awe-inspiring.
tongue.gif

I never did care too much for Galen. Thought he was a bit over-rated and I didn't find him as funny as everyone else seemed too.

------------------
YOU ARE NOT READY FOR IMMORTALITY!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dark Archon:
I have never read the Technomage trilogy so my choices are very limited, joev. But I guess I have to pick Elric. That sense of fear and awe he inspires is, well, awe-inspiring.
tongue.gif

I never did care too much for Galen. Thought he was a bit over-rated and I didn't find him as funny as everyone else seemed too.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dark Archon,
That's wild - I'd have picked you for a Finian person. Something tells me that you're going to like Carvin and Federico as well.

------------------
Joe Vancil
joev@joev.com

"All right, fine; you look for them. Me? I'm going down there, and maybe I'll bust some heads, and maybe they'll bust mine, but nobody sells out my people like this. Nobody."

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back