• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Who is your favorite Technomage? (spoilers)

joev5638

Beyond the rim
A warning for everyone in this thread - this will likely contain spoilers for the Centauri and Technomage trilogies.

I'm not going to answer this right off the bat, but I am going to throw the question out there for you: between B5 and Crusade, we've seen three technomages, another three from the Centauri trilogy, and a whole mess of 'em from the Technomage trilogy. In fact, we're really given more technomages than Centauri, Narns, Minbari, or pretty much anything else outside of humans.

Which ones jumped out at you? In terms of characters, the variance among the technomages seems astounding. Which were your favorites?

Joe

------------------

Elizar of course! He's powerful, evil, and downright cool!

------------------
-With every light is born a shadow-

Galen, Isabelle, Alwyn, and then Blalock.

Least Favorite: Herazade, Elizar, Razeel, and Tilar.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

Crusade (reruns) starting 03/26/2002 at 1PM EST on the Sci-Fi Channel
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

[This message has been edited by KoshN (edited February 15, 2002).]

Aside from Galen...
Kell, for me i would definitly say Kell.
One cannot help but be awestruck by the description, and Galen's initial amiration for, the leader of the technomages. when, and i do say WHEN, we see Crusade return in some form or another, i would absolutely love to see a flashback of some kind in which we get to actually see Kell. his description is remarkable, i only fear that actually seeing him on screen might destroy the incredible image i have of him now.

second would probably be Alwyn, or Gowen.

------------------
Who do you Serve and Who do you Trust?

i think the real question should be not only "who is your favorite technomage?"
but also "why?"
my favorite is Kell because he strikes me as the strong and mysterious type of leader, the rock of the technomages, seemingly infalible, until proven otherwise. everytime i think of Kell i think of how i felt the first time i saw Elric in "tGoS", dark, mysterious, strong. aside from his faults these are all good words to describe Kell, a classic tragic hero.
anyway, thats my take on the whole thing

------------------

Reading about them and actually seeing them makes it difficult for me to choose. We have only seen a few, Galen and the one with the golden dragons (sorry I can't recall their names). There was also Elric on Babylon 5. I think that is all I have seen, only three. I don't think I can pick a favorite because there were just so many in the Technomage trilogy.
crazy.gif

------------------
I always seem to be diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Well, now that the thread has gotten going, let me drop in my two cents. And granted, it's a cop-out.

Despite the fact that his philosophy wasn't quite the answer, Elric is my favorite. Even the descriptions of Kell didn't give me the same feeling of imposing figure that Elric did. And seeing the human side of Elric was one of the best parts of the Technomage Trilogy, especially the part where

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> he was hit by the manure clod by Farmer Nee, and laughed about it, but when he looked up, he was stone-faced and falsely angry. </font></td></tr></table>

Talk about a person in control.

But there are so many of the technomages who made great characters: Burrell, Alwyn, Carvin, Kell, Ing-Radi, Elizar, Blaylock, Finian, Kane, Federico, and Gowen, for example. All of these seemed to be much more interesting than Galen. Herazade and Razeel seemed to be complete fluff. I wasn't particularly taken by Isabel, either.

It would be wild to read more about the stories of the older technomages - Burrell, Alwyn, Kell, Ing-Radi, and Blaylock. The play between Blaylock and either Alwyn or Burrell would be wonderful.

Joe

------------------

Alwyn is my fav hands down.

I love his personality. Hell raiser, womanizer, loves to go out and have a few drinks and live life up. His 'commitment' to illusions and misdirection is also quite humorous. Like in Book 2 when:

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> He and Carvin were impersonating Drazi in the middle of their Purple/Green war. Insead of just following along in a pack of Drazi, he took the lead and was leading the Drazi's in a fight against the other color. Not just fitting in casually, but taking charge as one of the Drazi.</font></td></tr></table>

He is just a cool character.

------------------
'I don't believe in the no-win scenario' - JTK

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Recoil:
Alwyn is my fav hands down.

I love his personality. Hell raiser, womanizer, loves to go out and have a few drinks and live life up. His 'commitment' to illusions and misdirection is also quite humorous. Like in Book 2 when:

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> He and Carvin were impersonating Drazi in the middle of their Purple/Green war. Insead of just following along in a pack of Drazi, he took the lead and was leading the Drazi's in a fight against the other color. Not just fitting in casually, but taking charge as one of the Drazi.</font></td></tr></table>

He is just a cool character.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Recoil,

Alwyn, Carvin, Federico, and Finian had the most potential for technomages, because, as Fa alluded to from dealing with Galen and Elric, these four knew how to

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> laugh, and from dealing with Galen and Elric, Fa didn't think technomages were allowed to! </font></td></tr></table>

That alone makes for more well-rounded characters.

The relationship of Alwyn and

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>Galen's father</font></td></tr></table>

could have easily been on of the stumbling blocks causing

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> the arguments between and eventual death of Galen's father and mother</font></td></tr></table>

, and I'd really like to see that relationship fleshed out.

The one thing that really bothered me about Alwyn, though, was that

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> despite how crushed he was with the death of Carvin, he didn't *DO* anything immediately. There was the fight, but Alwyn turned away. ALWYN TURNED AWAY? If there was one mage who SHOULDN'T turn away, ESPECIALLY at that moment, it should have been Alwyn.</font></td></tr></table>

Alwyn was my favorite "guest" character in Crusade - easily. It was nice to see that he wasn't just a passing reference in the Technomage trilogy.

Joe

------------------

I'm only one chapter away from finishing Summoning Light, but I'd have to say my favorite is Carvin. She's got some talent in deception.

------------------
Sheridan: Are you trying to cheer me up?
Ivanova: No sir, wouldn't dream of it.
Sheridan: Good, I hate being cheered up. It's depressing.
Ivanova: So in that case we're all going to die horrible, painful, lingering deaths.
Sheridan: Thank you, I feel so much better now.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by crazybillyo:
I'm only one chapter away from finishing Summoning Light, but I'd have to say my favorite is Carvin. She's got some talent in deception.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

heh.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Godkiller:
i think the real question should be not only "who is your favorite technomage?"
but also "why?"
my favorite is Kell because he strikes me as the strong and mysterious type of leader, the rock of the technomages, seemingly infalible, until proven otherwise. everytime i think of Kell i think of how i felt the first time i saw Elric in "tGoS", dark, mysterious, strong.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just think, in TGoS, you saw Elric when he was already severely diminished

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>because he'd already destroyed his place of power</font></td></tr></table>

shocked.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

Crusade (reruns) starting 03/26/2002 at 1PM EST on the Sci-Fi Channel
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

[This message has been edited by KoshN (edited February 15, 2002).]

1. Elric
2. Isabelle
3. Galen

I've just begun reading the 2nd Techno-mage book, and unfortunately, I don't think the author's introduced any phenominal characters to me.

------------------
"Ink on a page!" -Refa describing the moral depths of a treaty.
"Life is life, whether it's wrapped in skin, scales or feathers." -Dr. Franklin

Are all of you people insane? There has to be someone other than me who likes Elizar. Someone speak up!!!

------------------
-With every light is born a shadow-

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Are all of you people insane? There has to be someone other than me who likes Elizar. Someone speak up!!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
actually, i believe Elizar was one of the most believable "villains" JMS has come up with to date. although personally i think of Elizar more as misguided than a villain. perhaps antagonist is the better word, with Galen, Isabel and Elric being protagonists. there was just so much ambiguity in the story it was hard to tell at times who was good and who was evil, and i like that. Elizar was quite believable as a villain, at least to me, so yeah, i liked Elizar too. kind of...

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Elizar:
Are all of you people insane? There has to be someone other than me who likes Elizar. Someone speak up!!!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He was a punk with a cheesy goatee.
wink.gif

------------------

Billyo is in for a big surprise.

So are a lot of people.

Aside from Galen and Alwyn...

Federico, I liked how he looked like a Pirate and was always good natured, he even gets all the lady techno-mages!

------------------
Martin: "I should have brought my gun."
Debi: "What?!"
Martin: "Should be fun!" - Grosse Pointe Blank
Slappy's Solar System!

A surprise? Are you referring to

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> Carvin taking the place of Elric when he gets rather incapacitated and dying in the firy flame on the Ondavi? </font></td></tr></table>

I have read that chapter. I only have the last one to go.
smile.gif

------------------
Sheridan: Are you trying to cheer me up?
Ivanova: No sir, wouldn't dream of it.
Sheridan: Good, I hate being cheered up. It's depressing.
Ivanova: So in that case we're all going to die horrible, painful, lingering deaths.
Sheridan: Thank you, I feel so much better now.

so was anyone else teed off by

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> the death of Kane? </font></td></tr></table>

i think he had so much potential as a character. than again, he could have

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> faked his own death in front of Vir, so that if the Drahk ever compromised Vir they would believe him dead. i just really liked Kane and was quite upset with his death. </font></td></tr></table>

i mean, JMS could go so far as to use Kane in a second technomage trilogy, a guest character in a future series or movie, or even in a standalone novel,

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> if only he hadnt been "killed" off</font></td></tr></table>

oh well, i can still hope, no?

------------------

Latest posts

Members online

Back