• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Who is the one???

D

**DONOTDELETE**

somethinf that has always bothered me...

when rangers say the one, do they mean the president of the ISA...[Sheridan] or the person who trains the rangers...[Delenn],

because Sinclair was known as Ranger1...

crazy.gif
crazy.gif
crazy.gif

------------------
I have always been here...

All I know for certain about "The One" is what Zathros said. Sinclair was the One That Was. Delenn was the One that Is. Sheridan was the One who Will be.

Not that I have any IDEA what THAT means.
crazy.gif

------------------
"Why not? Only 1 Human captain has ever survived battle with the Minbari fleet. He is behind me, you are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else."

Speaking of which, does anyone know why Sheriden gets to be the One that will be, when he dies in 20 years and Delenn lives to be over 100? It seems kind of unfair to Delenn to know that her time is up but she still lives for a long time knowing that she used to be the One that is.

------------------
Peace be with you

The One the Rangers follow is Ranger One, the title given to the chosen leader at the time I've always thought....

------------------
"Faith Manages"

Yes so it would be Delenn because Sheriden takes over the One role when he becomes ranger one about three years before his departure..

------------------
Emporer Turhan-"How will this end"
Kosh-"In fire"

I'm starting to think that the one symbolizes more than whoever occupies the position of "Ranger One." When these guys say "we live for the one, we die for the one," I have trouble believing that they are talking about a sole individual.

------------------
"No children have ever meddled with the Republican Party and lived to tell about it." —— Sideshow Bob discusses Bart and Lisa with his supporters.

Not The One, you have been just waiting for this thread, haven't you?
crazy.gif

------------------
"Why not? Only 1 Human captain has ever survived battle with the Minbari fleet. He is behind me, you are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else."

The was, is, will be probably refers to the Entilzha aspect not just anlashok'na title. Depending how you look at it only 3 or four people held the first title and Sheridan leads the Rangers after Delenn does.

------------------
Bus
"Authorities say the phony pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and increadibly foul mouth." Kent Brockman

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Speaking of which, does anyone know why Sheriden gets to be the One that will be, when he dies in 20 years and Delenn lives to be over 100?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Delenn gives up the title when she becomes President of the IA. As Vice President (an undemanding office if they've followed the U.S. model
smile.gif
) she could do both, but as President she can't also lead the Rangers.

Sheridan, on the other hand, needs something useful to do after he retires from politics, and he has undoubtedly become a beloved figure both the Minbari and the Rangers after living for so many years on Minbar. Many would insist that he become Entil'Zha.

Once Sheridan is gone Delenn continues as President, at least for a time, and Ivanova takes over as head of the Rangers, with the title of Anlashok'na. I can't see Delenn ever going back to lead the Rangers after that, and the Entil'Zha is always also Ranger One. Sheridan is the last of them, the One that Will Be in Zathras's words, and I think Delenn would honor that.

Also the Minbari have a strong tradition of leaving high posts vacant when a revered leader passes. There was no Chosen One to lead the Gray Council for nearly 14 Earth years after Dukhat died, and Delenn leaves the post open again when she reforms the council, in memory of Neroon.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

[This message has been edited by Joseph DeMartino (edited June 17, 2001).]

Here's my interpretation, which is a little more on the mystical than the practical side.

"The One" is as defined by Zathras, but it has taken on a wider meaning throughout Minbari history and so into Ranger ritual. Sinclair became Valen a thousand years in the past: he is The One Who Saved the Minbari in the last Shadow War. Delenn brought together Humans and Minbari and, through her actions, the other races to end the current Shadow War, making her the One who brought about the next phase in Minbari destiny. And Sheridan is the One who brings about the Interstellar Alliance, based on Minbar, which also brings about the age of independence for the Young Races, reflected as the Third Age of Mankind.

In other words, "the One" generically refers to one who brings about a change in direction for the Minbari - unity ainternally against the Shadows, unity with other races against the Shadows, unity with other races in taking charge of their own destiny after the First Ones have left. It refers to those three specific individuals and no others, but it became part of the Rangers' litany and the specific meaning became lost and open to interpretation.

------------------

Or, if you want to go in the other direction, completely practical:
The ONE is the station that has the smarts to put on a JMS series without interfering with it unnecessarily.
crazy.gif

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>
"the One" generically refers to one who brings about a change in direction for the Minbari
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Except that "The One" was not a Minbari concept. The title originated with Zathras. When he went back in time with Sinclair/Valen, he became a sort of combination private secretary, bodyguard, butler, valet, whatever needed doing, for Valen.

We see it in the Comic series "in Valen's Name". Zathras does his best to keep other people from bothering Valen with Trivial BS when he senses that Valen needs a bit of time for himself.

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.
Shall we exchange Recipes?

bakana wrote

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Except that "The One" was not a Minbari concept. The title originated with Zathras.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think that we actually know who came up with the title "The One" originally, but you may well be right that the Minbari heard it from Zathras. But as used by the Rangers it is part of a ritual phrase that is a thousand years old - and we also hear it translated from Minbari, which may in turn be a modern version of an ancient Minbari dialect! All of which is simply to say that meaning changes, or is lost, and it is quite possible that the Rangers use the phrase as a ritual mantra more than anything else, without necessarily identifying "The One" with any particular individual. Then again, it is quite possible that they have a clear historical definition of who "The One" is, possibly cowritten by Valen and Zathras, which is drummed into them at Ranger School.
smile.gif

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>
And it is quite possible that the Rangers use the phrase as a ritual mantra more than anything else, without necessarily identifying "The One" with any particular individual. Then again, it is quite possible that they have a clear historical definition of who "The One" is, possibly cowritten by Valen and Zathras, which is drummed into them at Ranger School.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is No Chance at all that any Minbari would not know who Valen is or who The One is.

Valen is the Minbari's Greatest and Most Revered historic figure. Jesus Christ, Mohammed, Bhudda and Sun Tzu (ok, and Robert E. Lee, too.
wink.gif
) all rolled into one. Every other sentence out of most Minbari's mouths has either "In Valen's name" or "As Valen Said" somewhere in it.

The Minbari Rangers don't need to study Valen. They learned him in the cradle.

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.
Shall we exchange Recipes?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Valen is the Minbari's Greatest and Most Revered historic figure. Jesus Christ, Mohammed, Bhudda and Sun Tzu <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probably a little less harsh than Sun Tzu (if anyone has a copy of 'The Art of War' I refer to the part about getting the Emperor's concubines to drill his army).

What is interesting is how much of the battles won are down to Sinclair's tactical nous, as oppose to Zathras's advice (seeing as Zathras knows all about Sinclair, I assume he knows all about the last Great War).

Regards

------------------
With many cheerful facts about the square of the hypotenuse

I got the impression that Zathras, as much as we love him, isn't up on everything. He understands bits and pieces, important bits even, but wouldn't exactly give brilliant strategic advice. "Zathras no understand, but Zathras DO. Zathras good at doings, not good at understandings."

------------------

bakana wrote:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>There is No Chance at all that any Minbari would not know who Valen is or who The One is.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with you on Valen 100%. And if Valen and The One are synonymous, then you're correct. But then there is Zathras' statement that Delenn and Sheridan are also The One. Are the general Minbari population aware of that? If they were, then surely theyd have treated the two of them more respectfully. There would have been no questioning of Delenn's role in uniting the Humans and Minbari if she were known to be The One, and her personal relationship with Sheridan would be a uniting of two parts of The One, so no cause for objection there. But we did see the Minbari questioning and objecting to those very things.

So, if we take Zathras' definition of The One as being Sinclair / Valen, Delenn and Sheridan, then this detail of who The One is cannot be general knowledge amongst the Minbari. For one thing, if Minbari will not kill Minbari, and if their leaders are prepared to stop a genocidal war because of a fear of destroying the Minbari souls reborn in Humans, would they not have refrained from starting the war against the race which gives birth to at least one aspect of The One? (I discount Sinclair because he is The One as Valen) The Rangers probably consider Valen to be The One, but may be unaware of the others who are also The One, or there may be references to The One being a title given to more than one individual, but those individuals are not identified because Zathras and Sinclair/Valen want to avoid more temporal confusion!

I think my head hurts.
smile.gif

------------------

If you'll look we don't see every minbari running around chanting we live for the one we die for the one, for the most part it's just the rangers. I can't remember the ep but it the one where marcus is almost killed trying to make sure that Delenn is inducted as ranger one. When he's just about toast he mustered up enough strength to answer, i think it was Naroon who was involved, we live for the one we die for the one, as to why he would do what he did when he had no chance of winning. And Sinclair, Delenn, and Sheridan are all "the one", their just "the one" at different times. Sinclair is Ranger one after he moves to minbar, then he starts the rangers 1000 years earlier when he jumps with B4 to the last war. Delenn become Ranger one next and holds the position till Sheridan resigns from office, then he becomes Ranger one till he dies. I think that the only reason they were mentioned out right by Zatharas is because of the fact that they all played major roles in that never ending loop they got going, which is just crazy as can be. But, that's just my opinion, shoot it down if you want too....lol
cool.gif

------------------

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back