• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Who are you?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

http://www.selectsmart.com/FREE/select.php3?client=technomage

A personality test to find out which Technomage you have most in common with.

Enjoy.
smile.gif

Oh and reading the books would be needed to know who some of the characters listed are.
wink.gif

------------------
Marc Cosgrove

"From chaos, order came. As was inevitable." -Summoning light

Well, I'm not to happy with where Elizar is, but here it is....

# 1 Alwyn
# 2 Elizar
# 3 Elric
# 4 Ing-Radi
# 5 Kell
# 6 Blaylock
# 7 Isabelle
# 8 Carvin
# 9 Galen
# 10 Kane

------------------
"What's up, Drakh?"

Michael Garibaldi

Elizar IMO is a good guy at heart. Here's a posting I made on someone who shared your hesitance -

'Well even the fan favourite (Galen) went on a mass killing just because he was 'angered' while Elizar was all logic, when he killed it wasn't for the lack of looking for other options. How many chances did he give Galen, Isabelle, Blaylock or Kell in their decision (even though he was being watched, pressured and judged). Each time he offered them an alternative, one where they could work together for the greater good but they weren't willing to listen to reason. While Galen did not offer people like G'Leel, who were oblivious to the Shadows, a chance to live when he reigned down his anger upon them. Even Sheriden has done far worse than Elizar, blowing up one of Z'Ha'Dum's biggest city, killing countless people. Then later preaches to the Vorlons about how the people of Corrianas 6 had no choice but to allow the Shadows on their planet, well how many people had no choice but to serve the Shadows in that city? They did have a choice though, they could choose to die, just like Anna choosing to not willingly serve the Shadows and may as well be dead since her 'personality' is now gone. Yet it is all right for Sheriden to kill them but when the Vorlons do it, it's wrong. At least the Vorlons weren't boasting about it like Sheriden did to the other races.'

laugh.gif

------------------
Marc Cosgrove

Mine were:

1. Alwyn
2. Blaylock
3. Elric
4. Kell
5. Carvin
6. Elizar
7. Isabelle
8. Ing-Radi
9. Galen
10. Kane

------------------
An Old Egyptian Blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places that you must walk.

Thoughts & prayers to citizens of NY, DC, and to us all.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Even Sheriden has done far worse than Elizar, blowing up one of Z'Ha'Dum's biggest city, killing countless people. Then later preaches to the Vorlons about how the people of Corrianas 6 had no choice but to allow the Shadows on their planet, well how many people had no choice but to serve the Shadows in that city? They did have a choice though, they could choose to die, just like Anna choosing to not willingly serve the Shadows and may as well be dead since her 'personality' is now gone. Yet it is all right for Sheriden to kill them but when the Vorlons do it, it's wrong. At least the Vorlons weren't boasting about it like Sheriden did to the other races.'
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It could be argued that in Sheridan's (and all the other younger races) eyes that every single Shadow was a combatant, thus making their city a legitimate target. The people of Corianas 6 were (probably) all non combatants and clearly not a legitmate target.

Anyhoo...

# 1 Elizar
# 2 Kell
# 3 Alwyn
# 4 Blaylock
# 5 Galen
# 6 Carvin
# 7 Ing-Radi
# 8 Elric
# 9 Isabelle
# 10 Kane

Who's Kane BTW?

Regards

------------------
Zog

Um, yeah, who are these people?

1 - Elizar
2 - Alwyn
3 - Isabelle
4 - Carvin
5 - Galen
6 - Ing-Radi
7 - Kane
8 - Blaylock
9 - Kell
10 - Elric

Who the frell is Elizar?

------------------
Channe, the next JMS, who lives for the One and dies for the chocolate cheesecake
--
OnlineDude: I suppose now would not be the time to bring up the old one about the starlet who was so new to Hollywood she slept with the writer...
JMS: But that was only because she heard that in Hollywood, *everyone* screws the writer.

Nukemall - Our cities don't hold combatants, do they (well the very least they were made for civilians not military)? Whose does? We know there are humans as well as other races forced to work for the Shadows, hell even Morden is forced. They weren't fighting the war though, they were merely aiding it in their own way. As were the people of Corrianas 6.

Kane is from the Centauri Trilogy, an apprentice mage.

Channe - Tis why I warned you'd need to read the books to know the characters.
wink.gif

Elizar is a mage and was the best friend of Galen, until Galen tried blowing him up, even then Elizar forgave Galen and thought nothing of it.
smile.gif

------------------
Marc Cosgrove

[This message has been edited by Dark Lord (edited October 27, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dark Lord:

Enjoy.
smile.gif

Oh and reading the books would be needed to know who some of the characters listed are.
wink.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rank #1 equals your best match Item

Your Results Page
# 1 Alwyn
# 2 Blaylock
# 3 Ing-Radi
# 4 Elizar
# 5 Galen
# 6 Carvin
# 7 Elric
# 8 Kane
# 9 Isabelle
# 10 Kell

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 2002 on The Sci-Fi Channel.
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by channe:
Um, yeah, who are these people?

1 - Elizar
2 - Alwyn
3 - Isabelle
4 - Carvin
5 - Galen
6 - Ing-Radi
7 - Kane
8 - Blaylock
9 - Kell
10 - Elric

Who the frell is Elizar?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Read the Centauri Prime and Technomage trilogies.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dark Lord:
Kane is from the Centauri Trilogy, an apprentice mage.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kane is also in the Technomage trilogy.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I really think you need Herazade in this. She is the only member of The Circle that you've excluded.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

January 2002 on The Sci-Fi Channel. http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

[This message has been edited by KoshN (edited October 27, 2001).]

KoshN - I excluded many others too, because they were not very important to the plot so I only wanted to use those who were the 'main' cast so to speak. Burell was more important than herazade to the plot, but I had to cut it off somehwere or I'd have to list everyone.
smile.gif

Oh and I know Kane is in the technomage Trilogy (probably will be prominent in Invoking Darkness) but I said he is from the Centauri trilogy.
laugh.gif

------------------
Marc Cosgrove

Okay!

# 1 Alwyn
# 2 Ing-Radi
# 3 Kell
# 4 Blaylock
# 5 Carvin
# 6 Elric
# 7 Galen
# 8 Elizar
# 9 Isabelle
# 10 Kane

Mind you. I don't know who half of these are either....

WarpPig

------------------

Well, I didn't really need a quiz to tell me:

#1 Elric
#2 Kell
#3 Blaylock
#4 Carvin
#5 Isabelle
#6 Elizar
#7 Alwyn
#8 Galen
#9 Ing-Radi
#10 Kane

KoshN - I excluded many others too, because they were not very important to the plot so I only wanted to use those who were the 'main' cast so to speak. Burell was more important than herazade to the plot, but I had to cut it off somehwere or I'd have to list everyone.
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, Herazade is important to the plot. She's the biggest pain-in-the-a** they had. Man, I wanted to give her a swift kick.
mad.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

# 1 Alwyn
# 2 Elizar
# 3 Ing-Radi
# 4 Blaylock
# 5 Isabelle
# 6 Kell
# 7 Elric
# 8 Galen
# 9 Carvin
# 10 Kane

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Even Sheriden has done far worse than Elizar, blowing up one of Z'Ha'Dum's biggest city, killing countless people. Then later preaches to the Vorlons about how the people of Coriana 6 had no choice but to allow the Shadows on their planet, well how many people had no choice but to serve the Shadows in that city?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I tend to think in the opposite way.

(Just for info: lengthy discussions about Sheridan and the Shadow city can be found in the "Sheridan and the WTC" thread in the Babylon 5 forum.)

Coriana 6 had in no way participated in the Shadow war. Their only fault was living on a planet suitable for bases -- like Narn during the previous war.

Z'ha'dum was the homeworld of the Shadows, inhabited mainly by them. Sheridan had never seen a peaceful Shadow. Basing on their actions one might claim that none existed. The Shadows showed no signs of internal struggle, only a unified wish for chaos.

Sheridan went there to negotiate. When given no choice, he tried to fight and escape. There was no way to escape. He would not leave, not unaltered -- without his knowledge, mind and body being used for the Shadows' objectives.

Unlike Morden or Anna, Sheridan and the mages knew the full conseqences of their actions. Elizar and Galen wielded great powers, Sheridan was central to an alliance of numerous worlds. They had influence, knew the Shadows -- and thus knew the consequences of their choice.

His only escape was death -- so he chose a way which would give others a chance to fight back. A way that would hurt the Shadows. I fully understand that choice. I also guess that Elizar had no such choices.

Unlike Sheridan or Galen, he was befriended by the Shadows when he didn't know enough about them. They did it smoothly, presenting no overwhelming choices - as they knew this way would work. Just like it worked with Londo. Just like it worked with many more people.

Elizar had ambitions of ruling the technomages, of covertly working against the Shadows. But having billions of years more experience, the Shadows beat him at his own game. They would keep him forever dependant on their assistance, and remove him when he was no longer needed.

[This message has been edited by Lennier (edited October 27, 2001).]

KoshN - So why would you want the chance of getting her.
wink.gif

Lennier -

Corrianas 6 was holding a shadow base, bases aid wars which is why they're taken out as shown by whats going on right now. So yes, they were involved in the war.

The Narn however drove them out even though they were primatives.

How do you know it was mainly inhabited by the Shadows? It's not even their homeworld, they just go there out of respect for Loriens race. We see from the technomage books that there are MANY innocents working for the Shadows be it known or hidden.

If he went there to negotiate why in god's name did he bring weapons of mass destruction? He all ready knew the motives of the Shadows, that Anna had been put into a shadow vessel. So why go if he knows she is not to be trusted? Because this would be the perfect oppertunity to strike their homeworld rather than sending a fleet which would only get bitchslapped. He could have just jumped and not sent down a bomb, thus taking away any use the Shadows could have for him and not killing any innocents.

He could have died and not killed many innocents though, the fact he goes on to preach to the Vorlons about how 'wrong' they are when he did it himself makes him a hypocrite. I can understand and do indeed agree with Sheriden because by killing the few, he saves the many. This was what the Vorlons were doing also though. Imagine every thousand years the Shadows killing billions, it would end up with infinite loss of life (as long as shadows live). So just like Sheriden, decided to kill the few in order to save the many. But because he condemns the Vorlons doing it, it makes him wrong in my mind.

Elizar would be watched all the time through the Shadows minions, we know they can see through Drakhs eyes and influence them with communication to be the pawns they really are. Which is why Elizar was always trying to get some help, asking Galen to help him, giving everyone a choice. He couldn't fight the shadows alone, he knew this... so was trying to buy time for the technomages to come together and fight them.

Elizar only wished to lead them because no one else was, Kell had sold out the technomages to the Shadows and lied to everyone about who they are. So he knows he can't trust Kell to lead, and suspects other technomages of working for the Shadows. So how can he trust anyone but himself to lead the technomages in a fight against the Shadows?

No, Elizar would have saved the technomages had they only helped him but they didn't, they left him high and dry. If Galen had helped Elizar then they could have worked together in the Shadows ranks to help bring it down. Like Vir did with the Drakh controlled Centauri in the Centauri trilogy.

------------------
Marc Cosgrove

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>I do not. But I can analyze and guess. To me it seems simple. No infrastructure equals no traffic. No traffic equals no younger races.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Things like that are never simple. There are bound to be innocents there working for the shadows, and those homes certainly do not look like what a Shadow would live in. Most likely be like what Elizar and co. experienced inside the Shadow ship.

We saw a city though, a rather low tech city and JMS describes there being other humans in the city (ones that injured Sheriden).

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Younger races need surface-based space ports, roads and buildings. Mars, which has a climate resembling Z'ha'dum, has a lot of surface-based infrastructure. The technology of the younger races allows no mass movements without it. But there was nothing on the surface near one of Z'ha'dums largest cities.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Shadows can easily supply all that.

That makes no sense, really.. you think that proves there were no younger races around? Because they live underground? Why would the Shadows need buildings to sleep in etc. Does Kosh? No, he only uses it to hide his appearance.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>The surface of Z'ha'dum barren and lifeless. Thus there would be no way for numerous representatives of the younger races to come and go. If none could come and go, neither could many be present. Those present would be limited to a few "associates".<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They would come to the Shadows, and live inside the city of Z'Ha'Dum just like Joseph shows this simple basic fact. They would not need to come and go, they'd LIVE there just as Joseph did.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>He had reasons to doubt if the Shadows were fully sincere. Neither Sheridan nor anyone close to him had talked with a Shadow person-to-person. He did not know what to expect. Going there was the only chance to find out. Perhaps they could be talked to?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, and I gave you those reasons... only a fool would go to the heart of an enemy billion years old with a history of deceit and expect to change the Shadows views. They've been doing it for longer than a the Human race has been around, as above he would be a fool to think they'll change their mind simply because he went there to talk.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Thus he hoped the best, but prepared for the worst. A warship, by its very nature, is an instrument of destruction. A ship with powerful bombs is simply a more horrible instrument of destruction.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The best being he convinces the Shadows to stop.
crazy.gif
Yes, Sheriden is far superior in intelligence to a billion year old being. C'mon, seriously... he never gave any indication of this and if he did then that'd make him about the stupidest man alive. Which I frankly do not believe. Did he even try to convince them to stop? No, he didn't even ask or bring up the subject of stopping.

A warship would be no match for their warships, but it would against a city filled with innocents.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Now let us assume that you are Sheridan.

You are sure your enemy wishes to start a hundred wars (which will wipe out tens of sentient species). By attacking you, they have proved they no longer wish to negotiate. You are sure you will not survive. They will gladly use anything they can extract from your mind. You have never met a peaceful individual of their species.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I all ready said I'd do the same as Sheriden, difference is I wouldn't be a hypocrite by preaching to others who are doing the same thing. They never wanted to negotiate in the first place, that much was blatently obvious by the fact they've killed so many, done it again and again and plan to do it forever. He knew this, but he OBVIOUSLY wanted to strike at the heart of the Shadows. This being the perfect chance since how many times does the enemy invite you to the heart of their territory?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>1. Jump, hoping that they can do nothing to catch & revice you.
2. Nuke them, giving your alliance a chance to defeat them.

Given the situation he faced, given what the Shadows' intentions were, given what he knew of the Shadows... I consider his choice not only probable but the best of bad options.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

THIS is not what I am arguing against. I'm arguing against the fact people do not apply the same logic to others.

Vorlons do it = They must be bad
Elizar does it = He must be bad

The only difference between what they and Sheriden did was the fact they did not boast about it, explored every other option beforehand thoroughly, offered the people a choice beforehand (kill yourself, join us, drive off the shadows etc.) and were not hypocrites by judging others who do the same.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>He might have. But due to Kell's mistakes Elizar got too close to them. If the order of technomages had been more open, he would have found many to join him.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Elizar was not 'close' he explains clearly he was merely playing to the crowd of the Shadows while trying to raise up a resistance. He tried getting the technomages together but they spat in his face about it, even though THEY were the ones who had done far worse (galen killing so many innocents and Kell lying to everyone and secretly taking from the Shadows). Yet Elizar is seen as the bad guy and Galen the hero, THAT's what I disagree with.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>But he didn't. Kell's mistakes had got him too close to the Shadows. Fear of not becoming a full mage prevented him from telling it all as an apprentice.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, Elizar was lying. This is what technomages do, they show you one hand, while the other hand does the real work. It's how they think. He was working for the Shadows, getting secret information and more power while on the overhand was asking Galen, Isabelle, Kell and Blaylock to help him fight them.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Having become aware of Galen's powers, the Shadows demanded a proof of loyalty. After Isabelle's death there could be very little hope of any help from Galen. And the Shadows might always demand a new proof of loyalty.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But as with Sheriden, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Galen should suck it up and do a small bad thing in order to do a greater good. Elizar and Sheriden realised this, Galen obviously did not. Galen killed Isabelle, Elizar gave him another way out, one where they would live and could work together to take out the Shadows but he spits it back in his face. Even after this Eliar offers him ANOTHER chance to help the technomages and stop the shadows, what does he do? Spits it back in his face again but this time wipes out a large city with innocents because he was 'angry'. Elizar is then led to believe that the technomages are dead, so he has nothing left to save.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>While Elizar may have succeeded in openly fighting the Shadows, trying to do it as their "associate" decided his fate. The Shadows were simply too experienced in manipulating others.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hardly, what decided his fate was the idiocy of the technomages. If they had only HELPED him with his plan and not spat it back in his face everytime he offered them the chance to help then he could have been instrumental in taking down the Shadows.

The Shadows had NOTHING to do with it, Elizar KNEW what the shadows were up to... which is why he was trying to SAVE the technomages. HE asks for the technomages help and they won't give it, leaving him stuck with the Shadows. The technomages are what turned him into a Shadow worker. Not to mention the fact Galen keeps killing those Elizar wanted to protect as well as those who are watching him. Making Elizar more suspect to the Shadows when he lets Galen live all the time.

------------------
Marc Cosgrove

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>How do you know it was mainly inhabited by the Shadows?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do not. But I can analyze and guess. To me it seems simple. No infrastructure equals no traffic. No traffic equals no younger races.

Younger races need surface-based space ports, roads and buildings. Mars, which has a climate resembling Z'ha'dum, has a lot of surface-based infrastructure. The technology of the younger races allows no mass movements without it. But there was nothing on the surface near one of Z'ha'dums largest cities.

The surface of Z'ha'dum was empty and lifeless. Thus there would be no way for numerous representatives of the younger races to come and go. If none could come and go, neither could many be present. Those present would be limited to a few "associates".

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>If he went there to negotiate why in god's name did he bring weapons of mass destruction?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He had reasons to doubt if the Shadows were fully sincere.
wink.gif
But neither Sheridan nor anyone close to him had talked to a Shadow. He did not know what to expect. Going there was the only chance to find out. Perhaps the only chance for peace? (Although Delenn and the Vorlons had assured that there could be no peace with a Shadow.)

Thus he hoped the best, but prepared for the worst. A warship, by its very nature, is an instrument of destruction. A ship with powerful bombs is simply a more horrible instrument of destruction.

------

Now let us assume that you are Sheridan.

You are sure your enemy wishes to start a hundred wars (which will wipe out tens of sentient species). By attacking you, they have proved they no longer wish to talk. You will not survive. They will gladly use anything they can extract from your mind. You have never met a peaceful individual of their species.

So, what would you do?

1. Jump, hoping that they can do nothing to catch & revive you.
2. Nuke them, giving your alliance a chance to defeat them.

Given the situation he faced, given the nature and intentions of the Shadows... I consider his choice not only acceptable, but the least bad of many bad options.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>No, Elizar would have saved the technomages had they only helped him<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He might have, but Kell's mistakes got Elizar too close to the Shadows. If the order of technomages had been more open, he would have found many to join him in an open fight.

But he didn't. In addition, fear of never becoming a full mage prevented him from acting openly as an apprentice.

Having become aware of Galen's powers, the Shadows demanded that Elizar prove his loyalty. After Isabelle's death there would be no hope of any help from Galen. And the Shadows might always demand another proof of loyalty, killing another of his friends.

While Elizar may have succeeded in openly fighting the Shadows, trying to do it as their "associate" sealed his fate. The Shadows were simply too experienced in manipulating others. Unless challenged at once and openly, they would have played the technomages against each other... sucessfully using them as additional agents of chaos.

[This message has been edited by Lennier (edited October 27, 2001).]

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back