• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

What's up with no B5 on Sci-fi Channel?

Zathras

Beyond the rim
What\'s up with no B5 on Sci-fi Channel?

I turned on my set this week (I work from home) and there was no B5 on Sci-fi Channel at the usual time. I checked out the broadcast schedules on scifi.com and they're replacing their daily lineup with marathons of various shows - this week it's 1960's "Outer Limits" every single day from morning 'til night :eek:. In the coming weeks, they'll be running daytime marathons of Hercules, Incredible Hulk, and Farscape. After searching through several of weeks of programming, I found that B5 is returning to its usual timeslot on Monday morning, Oct. 27. I've quit trying to understand why Sci-fi Channel does anything that they do, but for those who have not... Why in the world would they screw up their whole daytime schedule for weeks in a row like that and then go back to the way it was before???

I don't know where they're buying whatever it is that they're smokin', but I think they got a bad batch! :rolleyes:

Re: What\'s up with no B5 on Sci-fi Channel?

Just an offhand guess here, but with the start of TV fall season, I'm guessing Sci-Fi feels that they don't stand much of a chance with it's regular programming. So they aren't bothering. The marathons are a stunt to draw people in that get bored with the networks.

I thank the great maker for my dvds, and old vhs tapes of seasons 4 and 5. I can watch any episode, any time I want. :D

Another guess is that they may not return to normal on the 27th. They probably only announce the schedule "X" number of weeks in advance, and probably will have a new fall day time lineup after a few weeks off to plan their "strategy"... although I'm sure I know their strategy... "piss off hard-core, intelligent, sci-fi fans and cater to the Fox crowd with crap like scare tactics."

-Tim

The marathon of shows is nothing new for SciFi--they tend to do it every fall to jack up ratings. Also, they rotate their rerun shows in and out of the lineup when the ratings drop, and usually bring them back later. It's to prevent making it go stale. JMS even acknowledged it the last time B5 was taken off the air.

Also, the DVD sales probably are hurting the ratings somewhat. A good chunk core Babylon 5 audience probably now owns three complete, commercial-free seasons. Which is one reason why studios were relunctant for so long to release box sets of television series--they didn't want to hurt sydication money.

Another guess is that they may not return to normal on the 27th. They probably only announce the schedule "X" number of weeks in advance, and probably will have a new fall day time lineup after a few weeks off to plan their "strategy...

I didn't really expect Sci-fi to show B5 reruns forever, but if they could've just gone a few more weeks, then I could have had another chance to pick up some of the Season 2 episodes that I'm missing on video. My cable company was working out some bugs a few years ago when I was first recording B5 and I missed "In the Shadow of Z'Ha'Dum" and "Comes the Inquisitor." Those are 2 great episodes that I haven't seen since I first watched B5 on TNT back in 1997/98. :rolleyes: Better luck next time, I guess.

I really was enjoying watching B5 on television again. It's like your favorite song on your favorite CD...it's nice to listen to it on the disc, but it's even better when you just happen to catch it on the radio. :cool:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back