• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

What are you watching now?

Anyone watch the BBC show Primeval that just finished up on BBC America? I enjoyed it, and noticed the DVD at Target the other day. Time portals that allow prehistoric (and other) creatures to cause mayhem in modern day.

I'm liking Sanctuary (On SciFi channel) too. It apparently started on the web, and stars Samantha Carter of SG-1. Also, Kandyse McClure (Dualla from BSG) has a small part in it. Fantastic settings, so mostly shot on green screen. It's a freak of the week show.

it may show on BBC worlds american service, but it isn't a BBC show.

i'm watching Boston Legal at the moment, it rocks, also it's like Shatner doesn't even have to act, he's just just playing himself (a broken down old hasbeen for whom the penny has yet to drop).

Gone Baby Gone - fracked up movie, but I love Dennis Lehane, so I'm down with it. Very interesting philosophical question posed at the end.

3:10 to Yuma: loved it. Loved it. Loved it.

No Country For Old Men. WTF is up with the ending? Loved it otherwise.

I watched Dead of Night last night, on Jade's recommendation. Had recorded it before Halloween but didn't get a chance to watch it until yest. Was a lot of fun- thanks for that, Jade. I love the olde British exaggerated characters, most of the sub-stories, Michael Redgrave as the crazy ventriloquist, and the "twist" ending.

I also recently watched Spaced, a British sit-com co-created by Simon Pegg (aka Shaun of the Dead), about a guy and girl roommates and their wacky neighbors and friends. The series had a cult following because it has lots of geek references (Star Wars, comic books, action flicks). It also had a killer B5 references: Simon Pegg's characters working in one comic book store wants to go work for someone else, and rather than go through the hassle of giving notice just wants to get fired, so yells out to his boss: "Hey Dereck, Babylon 5 is a pile if shit!"

I watched Dead of Night last night, on Jade's recommendation. Had recorded it before Halloween but didn't get a chance to watch it until yest. Was a lot of fun- thanks for that, Jade. I love the olde British exaggerated characters, most of the sub-stories, Michael Redgrave as the crazy ventriloquist, and the "twist" ending.

I also recently watched Spaced, a British sit-com co-created by Simon Pegg (aka Shaun of the Dead), about a guy and girl roommates and their wacky neighbors and friends. The series had a cult following because it has lots of geek references (Star Wars, comic books, action flicks). It also had a killer B5 references: Simon Pegg's characters working in one comic book store wants to go work for someone else, and rather than go through the hassle of giving notice just wants to get fired, so yells out to his boss: "Hey Dereck, Babylon 5 is a pile if shit!"

watched it back when i was at school, and all my bastard mates used to torture me with that line.

watched it back when i was at school, and all my bastard mates used to torture me with that line.

It's actually a backhanded compliment. In the episode commentary, Pegg says that he doesn't feel that way about B5 because he's never really seen it. He just knew that B5 fans have a reputation for being extremely passionate and hardcore about the show... which made it a perfect choice to fit the line.

And if you think about it in context of Bilbo, Tim, Derek and Tim's temporary "replacement" and their differing views, each of the characters gets their nose put out of joint by something they are passionate about. So no show in itself is really mocked... just the devoted nature of fandom at the hands of writers who are self confessed genre fans.

Last edited:
It's actually a backhanded compliment. In the episode commentary, Pegg says that he doesn't feel that way about B5 because he's never really seen it. He just knew that B5 fans have a reputation for being extremely passionate and hardcore about the show... which made it a perfect choice to fit the line.

Yeah that's exactly how I read the scene, which is what made it so funny.

it may show on BBC worlds american service, but it isn't a BBC show.

i'm watching Boston Legal at the moment, it rocks, also it's like Shatner doesn't even have to act, he's just just playing himself (a broken down old hasbeen for whom the penny has yet to drop).

Sory for my ignorance. I just looked it up on IMDB, it's a UK series and apparently was shown on ITV1. S3 is apparently coming up soon, S1 and S2 totaled 13 episodes

Sory for my ignorance. I just looked it up on IMDB, it's a UK series and apparently was shown on ITV1. S3 is apparently coming up soon, S1 and S2 totaled 13 episodes

Yes, if I recall correctly the producers have said that the thirst three seasons have a story arc... and future series will run in straight episodic fashion.

End of series cliffhanger was brilliant. I wasn't so impressed with the very last scene of the second series (despite enjoying the majority of the episode and indeed the series).

I don't know where you are up to... so I'm trying to be vague.

Big fan of Claudia... not so big a fan of Jenny (figure that out if you can... if you are at series 2 you'll know what the curiousness of that statement is).

Yes, if I recall correctly the producers have said that the thirst three seasons have a story arc... and future series will run in straight episodic fashion.

End of series cliffhanger was brilliant. I wasn't so impressed with the very last scene of the second series (despite enjoying the majority of the episode and indeed the series).

Big fan of Claudia... not so big a fan of Jenny (figure that out if you can... if you are at series 2 you'll know what the curiousness of that statement is).

Seen all 13 episodes, so the conspiracy has been exposed and dealt with, and an obvious change in personnel is coming for S3. I too liked Claudia much better, although Jenny was starting to loosen up, so she may indeed become more Claudia-like.

Glad you liked it, GKE. I'm not fond of the 'golfing buddies' segment, but it has its passionate defenders. Most prefer the ventriloquist segment. I like it a lot, but my favorite part is the surreal nightmare sequence near the end.

All Simon Pegg fans should check out Hot Fuzz. Also, don't recall if this has been mentioned before on the forums, but he is playing Scotty in the new Star Trek.

I greatly enjoyed series 1, but I wasn't as impressed with series 2. It was still a lot of fun, and I still enjoyed it and I will watch the third series when that comes, but I thought there were too many, "that would never happen" moments in the second series and I wasn't all that interested in the baddies/Stephen. I do think they have something with the whole Connor/Abby thing though.

Just got through running through Season 1-5 of House M.D. so I can watch new episodes when they come on. Great series. Hugh Laurie is phenomenal. :)

I greatly enjoyed series 1, but I wasn't as impressed with series 2. It was still a lot of fun, and I still enjoyed it and I will watch the third series when that comes, but I thought there were too many, "that would never happen" moments in the second series and I wasn't all that interested in the baddies/Stephen. I do think they have something with the whole Connor/Abby thing though.

That is similar to where I am. I don't particularly care for Stephen's character as I find him to be a bit of a narcissistic egotistical poser.

I didn't like what he did to Nick... and I don't like the fact it looks like he's going to be coming back.

Connor and Abby's relationship isn't really of concern to me. I much preferred where they were going with Nick and Claudia.

I really relate to Nick... he's been pooed on by those he thought were closest to him (and didn't actually realise how much) and all of a sudden a little ray of light enters his life and it's taken away by a twist in the universe.

Incidentally, I really love how they brought the romantic interest plot arc up in the first series... although the tension is there, the payoff doesn't materialise until the episode with the pteranadon.. and it's only when Claudia's brought into a position of total vulnerability and Nick realises that someone actually does need him and appreciate him on that level.

And two minutes 49 seconds into this clip is Nick Cutter's two fingers up at those who hurt him.

I really hope they change the timeline so that Claudia isn't permanently wiped out.

I'm currently watching Weeds on dvd. I'm about halfway through the second season right now and I'm really enjoying it. I'm also keeping up with Dexter and Californication. I just bought the Sopranos: The Entire Series, and I'm looking forward to watching that all over again.

Just got through running through Season 1-5 of House M.D. so I can watch new episodes when they come on. Great series. Hugh Laurie is phenomenal. :)

One of my all time favorite shows. Isn't it uber cool? Hugh Laurie just amazes me. So many great episodes. The few that come to mind for my favorites are:

Dave Matthews being the savant
The pregnant woman whose baby is "killing her."

I adore Foreman. I think he's my favorite out of the three, though in season 6, you get some new faces.

I'm currently watching Weeds on dvd. I'm about halfway through the second season right now and I'm really enjoying it. I'm also keeping up with Dexter and Californication. I just bought the Sopranos: The Entire Series, and I'm looking forward to watching that all over again.

Weeds is frickin' hilarious. I need to catch up with that myself.

Start singing, "little boxes, on the hillside . . ."

I just watched Zulu last night, the 1964 classic war movie... quite well-done for its day, I suppose, and the Zulus come off as extremely courageous and crafty rather than the usual "native horde" you get in movies of that type. Good characterization. Still, somehow I wanted a bit more. Maybe I should have watched this before I watched Dances With Wolves, not that I was ecstatic about that one either.

One of my all time favorite shows. Isn't it uber cool? Hugh Laurie just amazes me. So many great episodes. The few that come to mind for my favorites are:

Dave Matthews being the savant
The pregnant woman whose baby is "killing her."

I adore Foreman. I think he's my favorite out of the three, though in season 6, you get some new faces.

They're still in Season 5, but I wouldn't be adverse to new faces in Season 6. :)

I also enjoyed Primevil... some interesting twists, though a few preposterous ones as well
I'm watching Firefly the complete series for probably the 5th time...
also catching up on Battlestar Galactica...

I would also recommend Supernatural and Eureka if you like humour with your sci-fi....

As for movies on DVD, I enjoyed a lesser known Christian Bale movie called Equilibrium.... kind of 1984 meets The Matrix with a little Fahrenheit 451 thrown in, but it has it's moments.

Next on my list is The Host, a horror movie I've heard good things about.... anybody here seen it?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back