• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

We're all looking for something...

channe

Regular
We\'re all looking for something...

Ok, so what was it?

What was Martel looking for?

Let's have some speculation, knowing what we know about B5, Rangers, and the fact that it was going to intersect and tell the Crusade story in a different way.

Re: We\'re all looking for something...

Tricky question.

Something they miss...
Something they already have...
Something they previously lost...
Something they need...
Something they should avoid?

To a large degree in my eyes, the core story of Babylon 5 revolved around three issues. Indentity. Direction. Purpose. A triangle between the Vorlons who knew their identity, the Shadows who knew their direction, and most people of the younger races, unsure about their purpose.

Sinclair found his purpose, after losing it.
Sheridan found a new purpose.
Delenn found a new purpose.
G'Kar found a new purpose.
Londo walked the knife's edge across the thick of it.
Vir refused to part from his purpose.
Lennier lost his purpose.
Marcus died for his purpose.
Ivanova missed her purpose.
Galen was near losing it, then found it again.
Countless soldiers died serving the purpose of others.
Lyta found her purpose partly corrupted.

Each defined their purpose differently, at different times. For some it was revenge, for some it was life, for some liberty and for some justice. For some it was equality, for some inequality. For some it was homeworld, for some the Corps, for some Vorlons or Shadows. For some it was the world around them. For some it was the future, for some the past. For some, purpose was another person. For some, an abstract idea like order or chaos.

Why am I rambling about this? Well, I try to extrapolate my guesses basing on how I perceived B5. In life, you cannot quite avoid the "why" question. If Martel is looking for something, the thing he is searching for (or the search itself) is his purpose, has been it, or may become it. However, how much are we really supposed to deduct basing on two hours? What could I observe of Martel? How does he think?

1. We live for the One... [snip] ...but we don't die stupidly.

His first sentence which I remember. To a large degree, as far as we know Martel, that's a defining statement. He has obviously seen people die stupidly. After the Shadow war, many have. He certainly is not G'Kar, who in his early years on B5 would have accepted a stupid death.

2. So, who did he see die stupidly? How did it change him?

Is he Sinclair, who saw his entire squadron (no, make it the entire Earth Force) die more-or-less stupidly, and expected to meet the same fate? Sinclair wondered why it happened, if something could have avoided it. Later, when he had the capability to change the future, he surely wondered if he should let it happen.

3. Reasons... justice... revenge.

If there is a similarity, Martel might be looking for reasons. Whose mistake, if anyone's, let people die stupidly? To undo the loss is not possible. Perhaps one can compensate? Which if anything could compensate? What should his purpose be, if he seeks to compensate in some way?

Would such a quest result in something beneficial, working for truth or justice? Could it draw him into revenge? What will he do, how will he change, once someone explains why they think people had to die stupidly? Which measures does he consider acceptable? Is his treatment of Kafta indicative of his nature? Is Martel walking the border between acceptable measures and "end justifies means". If yes, why is he walking that line?

4. Trust... support... company.

Martel certainly generates trust. After all, Dulann said he would trust him with his life. Others who had been with him earlier... also exhibited a degree of trust. Perhaps the ability to generate trust is either a positive or negative product of past experiences?

Has he seen trust, which was destroyed and betrayed, or has he seen distrust, and realized its consequences? Alternatively, if it goes more towards company, friendship and love... is any of those what he is looking for? Which has he seen, which has he missed?

Maybe Martel was looking for one of my galaxy-famous salad bars. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Universal understanding and enlightenment? A pan-galactic gargle-blaster?

Well, OBVIOUSLY, he was looking for info about his past, as he most likely was left as an infant, wraped in an old blanket, on the steps of Ranger headquarters. He's looking for his past. Sheesh, it's so obvious. Hehe. Well, anyway, that's my best guess from hints in the movie. He is missing info about where and who he comes from. Probably off the mark, but I think that might be it. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

It's a good point. I'm under the impression that he knows quite a bit about where he came from, though; I'd have to see the movie to be sure.

But that's a logical statement.

I was always under the impression that he was looking for an answer to a question: "Why?"

::scampers in::

I'm looking for my checkbook...

::scampers away, mumbling something about cushions and a ferret::

**This Babble-on moment brought to you by a momentary lapse of cognisant thought initiated by one hell of a "hurry up and wait" afternoon of boredom

You're right Channe. It would be a pretty high percentage bet that, other stuff aside, he was almost certainly looking for his purpose, why he was where he was, and was who he was. Very much like Sinclair who was kind of uncetain in his heart until he finally was "like the arrow that springs forth from the bow". Wish I could spring forth from the bow, landing point and crowning accomplishment set and within view and reach. Oh well. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

On a more lighthearted note,

you know........he might have been looking for his car keys, aren't we all from time to time??

Or maybe the TV remote?

Or that OTHER sock that always disappears and leaves us "looking for" a matching pair of socks......the possibilities are endless!!!
/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/devil.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

It seems almost every Human (and many Minbari) who joined the Anla'shok before and during the Shadow War were looking for something. That makes sense since the only Humans who even knew of the existence of the Rangers were those looking for something like that or those the Rangers found themselves.

As for David ... well most of my thoughts have been said above by others. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back