• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

We Need a Pep-Talk! :)

gkarfan

Beyond the rim
I know that everyone is feeling really down about Rangers, & that some want to quit entirely & let the B5 universe go. I've been pretty bummed myself because I've had such a great experience in B5 fandom, & I don't want to let it go! I think we should fight on. Maybe Rangers is dead, but we shouldn't let the entire B5 universe die with it! I think B5 has enough fans to keep the B5 saga going. The cancellations of Crusade & Rangers didn't prove that B5 can't be a success. The two projects were doomed before they ever got on the air--Crusade because of creative differences between JMS & TNT, and Rangers because it was up against a playoff game that would've destroyed *anything* that SFC put up against it. None of this was our fault, so why should we quit? I'm really annoyed that B5 has been running into nothing but problems since the original show ended, & I want to do something about it! B5 has plenty of fans, & I think we could turn a B5-spinoff into a hit, but no one will let us do it! We need to turn this bad luck around, B5 fans. So what do you think we should do? I suggested that we work to get the Telepath War story made, but I also think we should make certain that more B5 DVDs are released. I don't want just rumors of B5 DVDs--I want them to come out! If these DVDs sell well, maybe someone will give the green light to another B5 project. What do you think? Should we try again? Yes, we're upset, but we are not a small group! There's no reason why another B5 project shouldn't be able to succeed!

Tammy

I'm still bummed.

The one prerequisite for a new B5 series that we could help move into fruition is if JMS came out and actively said that there was a chance, that he was taking it. I believe that without JMS there is no B5 - this isn't a franchise quite yet - and right now JMS has not said anything more about new B5. As fans we can't do much without that.

I'm getting close to writing the arc myself. Just because I want to find out what happens!

I'm bummed about there being no Ranger series as well, but I am confident that the B5 universe will endure, as it always seems to do. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

I think the only answer to "do we try again" is: lets see what JMS does. He'll know better than we if this can go anywhere.

I do also intend to write a letter to the Sci-Fi channel just to say that I'm sorry their programming choices will be driving my viewing away. (I'll work on that, "programming choices will be deflecting.. no.. well, I'll work on the language. Any suggestions?)

Programming choices will be failing to retain you as a viewer. ?

After all, if you wanted soap opera there are already plenty of free to air channels catering to that market.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by hypatia:
<font color=yellow>I think the only answer to "do we try again" is: lets see what JMS does. He'll know better than we if this can go anywhere.

I do also intend to write a letter to the Sci-Fi channel just to say that I'm sorry their programming choices will be driving my viewing away. (I'll work on that, "programming choices will be deflecting.. no.. well, I'll work on the language. Any suggestions?)</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

Hypatia, tell them how I call it the Drivel Channel now for their seemingly mindless programming. /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif

B5 has risen before, and it can rise again. If most of those new SciFi Channel shows do as poorly as most of us expect, and Polaris is made, and shown, and does well, they may give JMS another shot at it if he wants it, and I bet he does! I can't imagine Battle Star Galactica being what B5LR could have been, and SciFi probably does want SOME space scifi around, besides Farscape, I mean. So let's all hope for the future.

I saw on the news the other day where a giant meteor might hit the Earth in a thousand years or so killing all life. It cheered me up.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by PsionTen:
<font color=yellow>I saw on the news the other day where a giant meteor might hit the Earth in a thousand years or so killing all life. It cheered me up.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>
Heh. I wouldnt worry too much about that. None of us will be here, and I am pretty sure that in 1000 years we will be more than capable of removing said threat. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

Speak for yourself. I plan to live forever.

/ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

I just want to at least live long enough to see Bonnie Hammer

A) get fired
B) resign
C) choke on the shitty ratings her new soap operas will be getting

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>I just want to at least live long enough to see Bonnie Hammer

A) get fired
B) resign
C) choke on the shitty ratings her new soap operas will be getting <hr></blockquote>

Man, I love it when people come around to my side of things. In early December, I said it was stupid to give Bonnie Hammer a Christmas present.... I was told to shut up and keep out of it. Last summer, I ripped into the Sci-Fi channel and basically said it sucked.... I was given a warning (I think) and a dozen or so people ripped into me. Now that I have been vindicated on both counts, all I can say is welcome to the darkside.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by PsionTen:
<font color=yellow>Last summer, I ripped into the Sci-Fi channel and basically said it sucked.... I was given a warning (I think) and a dozen or so people ripped into me.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>

Well the channel didn't suck last summer... at least not as much as it does now. Lexx and Black Scrapion were playing back then, after all... but at the time, they were teasing us with the new Ranger pilot, a website, and some decent programming (aside from the aforementioned garbage and John Edward, primarily).

Now we can see more clearly what they've been plannning. More horror/fantasy (as if they didn't show enough already), less space/alien oriented programming (which has mostly been drawing their best ratings), and more talk shows like John Edward.

IMHO, what we know so far about their plans for Battlestar Galactica sound pretty lame. I'm not a Galactica fanboy, but I am among the crowd that would like to see a mix of old and young characters in a continuation of the original.

Sci-Fi has made the big purchases of Star Trek TOS, B5, E:FC, Stargate SG-1, and now the X-Files because of the demand by the FANS... but they dropped the ball when it came to TNG, DS9, Voyager, and others because they'd rather spend money on crap like Lexx & Black Scorpion, and half-assed series like First Wave, Invisible Man, and The Chronicle. Also IMHO, those shows could have been great if they'd hired a good writing team for each one. Now all three are cancelled, and TNN has all the Treks from TNG on.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by sassy:
<font color=yellow>i need therapy.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>
This is not news to any of us. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Recoil:
<font color=yellow>Heh. I wouldnt worry too much about that. None of us will be here, and I am pretty sure that in 1000 years we will be more than capable of removing said threat. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>
Ironically, the best and most certain way to divert it's path is for us to start soon. The longer you have to do these things, the better your chances of success. I'd hate to see this become a "it can wait until tomorrow" problem until we find out we could have averted its path... if we had started with 500 years of time to spare.

But if you really want to cheer yourself up, we might not even have a planet we can live on by then. Maybe the asteroid will help the "next cycle of life" get started. /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back