• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

We Invesst so much time in Scif, Fantasyand Horror. Why?

Garovorkin

Regular
So many of us seem, invest a lot of time in these three genres, not only books, but movies tv shows and games both online and otherwise. The question is Why do we do it? why do we immerse ourselves in these make believe worlds that others have created. be it any one of those mediums. Entertainment? a brief respite from the real world perhaps? Do these make believe worlds give us some special incite into the world around us into the people around us? A better understanding of this life and it's problems and issues and maybe how to deal with them. People who go to science fiction conventions, some dress up as their favorite character, pretend to be someone else, maybe they see in those qualities that they wish they had? or it could just plain be in fun. Same with online games , you can be anyone you want, Hero or villain, anything you can imagine you can become a whole different person then you are in the real world. :confused: I won't hog the microphone on this one.

Last edited:
For me...

I was raised on the stuff. I was read the Hobbit at age 2, saw Star Wars at age nine, and in general was always surrounded by people who loved SF/Fantasy. (I'm not really into horror. Technically Buffy's a horror show, but it's more a flip of horror stereotypes, and I've since discovered that I don't like horror movies without a Slayer to come in and clean up the mess.)

More specifically, however, I live by stories, and, as a great writer once put it: "These stories give people strength."

I believe it's our last outlet for epic stories. Everything now is "Reality-based" or "romantic (unrealistic) comedy" or slapstick. Everything has to be bigger than itself in a sense: bloated, overdone, distorted. It's strange that most of the sci-fi/fantasy that I watch or read feels more real in so many ways. I don't know if I can really explain it.

I think people love the hero's journey, the epic story (dating back to the Greek/Roman myths.) We can't really find these outside of meta-fiction.

personally i find the whole horror genre dull, except for jaws, but there is a whole i other reason i don't watch those movies. as far as science fiction and fantasy go, i like the fact that the stories are often intelligent without being pretentious, but also damn well exciting.

Raised on it, as KF said. Its a natural part of my life, I've grown up with fantasy and science fiction, why would I turn my back on it now ?

Its also an inceridble flexible versitile genre, and on terms of film and TV only begining to realise its true potential.

For a myriad of reasons. It's storytelling and humans are drawn to storytelling, it speaks about things that we can't see in our everyday life, and most of all it brings our imaginations to life while also, in some cases, challenging us mentally.

It's storytelling and humans are drawn to storytelling

Sorry, but ROFL! :LOL:

That might be the funniest line I have read on this site in a while.

Humans are drawn to storytelling? No. No, humans, are not. Some humans are. Very few in fact. By and large most humans are drawn to the lowest common denominator, brainless, TV. Ratings should be enough proof of that. To say that humans in general are drawn to storytelling is outright laughable.

Besides, you said that like you were an alien commenting on us. ;)

I can't imagine what my life now would be if I had not gotten into it all three genres, Two writers in particular got me into Reading, Robert E Howard and his wonderful Conan Stories and Harlan Ellison, , He inspired me more then any other writer. His wit ,Wisdom and the things that i have learned from him. I have picked up so many writers from him. Alfred Bester, Theodore Sturgeon, Cordwainer Smith James Branch Cabell, Cornell Woolrich, Borges and many many others and I have passed thees names on to many others. Reading this stuff helped me get through College because by learning to read the stuff i liked, I was able to read the stuff i did'nt so much like, but i have since developed an love for for the Classics that I would not have otherwise had. Yes i love Star Wars Trek ,Hell I love voyage to the Bottom of the Sea.B5, Bsg, Stargate, Buffy,Angel,Dr Who ect.:)

Sorry, but ROFL! :LOL:

That might be the funniest line I have read on this site in a while.

Humans are drawn to storytelling? No. No, humans, are not. Some humans are. Very few in fact. By and large most humans are drawn to the lowest common denominator, brainless, TV. Ratings should be enough proof of that. To say that humans in general are drawn to storytelling is outright laughable.

Besides, you said that like you were an alien commenting on us. ;)

I couldn't disagree more. Storytelling in all its various forms is what draws humans in. Even reality TV is a great example of this. All reality TV shows that try to be more reality than drama and story driven inevitably fail. The ones that draw the biggest ratings and stay afloat are the ones that have a story to them. To say that humans are not drawn to storytelling is to have a complete lack of knowledge on the human race and what makes it tick.

Storytelling is what humans are about.

Look at all our other supposedly "unique" talents. Tool-users? Sorry, chimpanzees do that too, with their opposable thumbs. Shelter? Not really unique to us either. Language? Turns out all animals communicate, we just didn't know the words. (Heck, some dogs and horses have a pretty impressive vocabulary in our languages, at least in terms of words they know.)

But stories? What other animal tells tales? What other animal could? That's our last uniqueness. The ability to see a narrative, to say "this happened and then this happened," that's in our blood.

And -- though I hate to say it -- even lowest common denominator TV has stories in it. All those reality TV shows are nothing but drama... which is to say, characters coming into conflict. I think your counterexample has actually proved the rule.

I like science fiction because it puts the least limits on the imagination, of any fiction, or story telling, while remaining coherent.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back