• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

was jms making a joke here?

Sherool -

I'm sorry, but we're going to have to ask you to remove that pic, or one of the administrators will do it for you. While you are a standard member, you have to choose from the photos given to you or not at all.

Alas, it's the rub of things, but only premium members and b5lr cast/administration are allowed to have custom pictures. Custom pictures are part of the premium package that you have to pay for.

It's not only unfair to the other premium members, who paid for their pictures - but it's unfair to Antony. The proceeds from the premium accounts help him sustain this site and keep it running.

Thanks.

------------------
channe@[url="http://cryoterrace.tripod.com"]cryoterrace[/url] | "I wonder," said Frodo, "but I don't know. And that's the way of a real tale."

I suspect it also slows down loading the pages because it comes from a different website/server.

The less paths involved in loading a page, the better.

------------------
Do not ascribe your own motivations to others:
At best, it will break your heart.
At worst, it will get you dead."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino:
Or the couple of frames of a cityscape from Captain Power that ended up flashing on-screen during another scene...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you sure you're not thinking of the cityscape from Hypernauts that was in "Messages From Earth":
http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/countries/us/guide/052.html#NO

Or is there another misplaced cityscape that I wasn't aware of?

------------------

That's not a mistake. That scene takes place in an alternate future, one in which Garibaldi has P.P.G. weapons built into his eyes.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by B5_Obsessed:
It was from Babylon Squared and here it is:

garibaldi_vorlon.jpg

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe Garibaldi just picked up the quad damage?

------------------

JMS about the Hypernauts cityscape in Messages from Earth:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>The executive producer thinks, "He's mistaken, has to be; it must be a series of patterns in the image that look like a city." Being a thorough person, however, the executive producer fires up his copy of the tape, and fast forwards to the shot in question. Pauses, then advances, frame by frame.

Then stops. The executive producer stares at the screen for a very, very long time. Eventually, words form. The executive producer knows that if he posts those words here, not only will they throw him off the system, they will come to his house, burn it down, and sow the ground with salt.

The executive producer knows what that single frame is, knows that it has nothing to do with his show, knows that it's a frame from Hypernauts that somehow crossed into the EFX shot in double-exposure via a computer glitch while rendering. No one saw it. No one noticed it. Until now.

Tomorrow morning, the executive producer is going to make phone calls, and say all the words he can't say here. When he is finished, twenty seven miles of telephone coaxial cable are going to hang melted from the telephone poles. Shortly thereafter, the executive producer is going to put a gun to his head and blow his brains out, in the sure knowledge that if he does not do so, he will most assuredly do it to someone else.

The executive producer thanks you for bringing this to his attention, and would write further, but is currently modeming from a laptop computer on top of his roof, from which he is considering jumping, and the wind up here is causing line noise.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[This message has been edited by Lennier (edited January 26, 2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Natron:
I'll go through that sequence frame by frame when I have a chance. I thought I saw Kafta one time watched it, but I thought it was someone else the next time. Anyway, I'll let you know what I find out.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He was there in three frames.

A Jog/Shuttle dial is a wonderful thing.
smile.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino:
Or the couple of frames of a cityscape from Captain Power that ended up flashing on-screen during another scene...

smile.gif

I'd say either or an error or the Liandra's crew being betrayed by one of Kafta's people is possible. However, since JMS said flat-out that the shot wasn't there, I'm guessing mistake. If it were supposed to have been there he'd have either said so or evaded the question, not replied with a flat "No."
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The trouble is that it was my question, and his answer in The Lurker's Guide is going to forever make it look like I was wrong.
crazy.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by channe:
Custom pictures are part of the premium package that you have to pay for.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't find any information on this web site about "premium services" ... What's the deal ?

- Garibladi's Hairs

------------------
"You are all in violation of security ordinance 22V3A. That means get the hell out of here!
"
- Zack

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GaribaldiHairs:
I can't find any information on this web site about "premium services" ... What's the deal ?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, it used to be promoted on the forum summary page (http://www.b5lr.com/ubbcgi/Ultimate.cgi) but seems that was removed. Then, it should have been on the "community" page but I cannot find it there either. Guess Antony doesn't need anymore money huh?
wink.gif

Anyway, to find out about the premium membership go here:
http://www.b5lr.com/community/premium.html

------------------
Monica Hübinette | Abyss : B5 <- New & Improved!
Pouch-sucking spawn of a bladder fish! Son of a fitch piece of smelt! Tok-swallowing fenbarger! Thrak it! --Na'Feel swearing in B5LR

I'm afraid I'll have to second Channe's request, Sherool.

It's a *very* cool pic but there are reasons why custom pics are indeed available only for the cast, the staff and the premium members (who have paid to help keep the site going as it's not an official site, and having a custom pic is one small way to thank the member for the donation).

And the custom avatars are all hosted at B5LR.com both to keep download time to a minimum and to avoid possible broken links.

------------------
"Isn't the universe an amazing place? I wouldn't live anywhere else." - G'Kar, B5: Rangers
Kribu's Lounge | kribu@ranger.b5lr.com | Kribu.net

Thanks for spotting that Channe. This isn't even an issue of fairness, it's an issue of hacking. You can't just stumble across your own image, you have to go out of your way to hack the system. I've banned this member, and taken down all records of his activity here to contact his ISP with.

Lyta, I will need to re-link in... I just had to take down that header as I needed to cut down the load on the board.

------------------
MPAA: Rated R for bad language, crude humor,
language, sexuality/nudity and drug content.

Guess I'm violating Anthony's "restrainging order" by saying this but here goes:

Sorry my avatar ruffeled so many feathers, it seemed like a good idea at the time (04:00 in the morning btw).

I don't consider what I did to be hacking, and I scertainly didn't go out of my way to do it. Anyone with some knowledge of HTML can do the same thing in 5 seconds.

Yeah I did something that was not supposed to be do, so if you want to call me a hacker then do so, but you'll be insulting all hackers (and even script kiddies) everywhere.

Sorry I caused such an uproar, I figured at the worst I'd be told to remove the image...
Well It's your site Anthony, I'd like to apeal your desission to ban me, but it's up to you. I'll remain in excile (from now on) untill you (hopefully) change your mind. I realy did not intend any harm
blush.gif

Hope you don't mind me hanging around in lurking mode though, I realy enjoy the site...

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Late Sherool wrote:

I don't consider what I did to be hacking, and I scertainly didn't go out of my way to do it. Anyone with some knowledge of HTML can do the same thing in 5 seconds.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure, reading the source code of a HTML form is easy, and spotting a weakness on a form not designed to be secure is equally easy. But you went out of your way to do this, and tested whether it works in an inappropriate manner.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Yeah I did something that was not supposed to be do, so if you want to call me a hacker then do so, but you'll be insulting all hackers (and even script kiddies)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In this you are right. To deserve the name of a hacker in its old sense, you should have done this differently. Let me explain.

When you spotted the weakness and found it to be exploitable, you should have posted with your new avatar in the "Questions and Suggestions" forum, pointing out what you had found -- and presenting your avatar as proof.

Instead of causing misunderstanding, bitterness and a banning, your choice would have earned you my respect, and possibly that of others. By simply starting to post with your new avatar, you managed to point out the flaw but violated rules of proper conduct while doing so. I leave it to others to decide what the appropriate reaction should be.

But please let me suggest this: the next time you find a loophole, consider the best course of action.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Lennier (edited January 27, 2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>...I scertainly didn't go out of my way to do it. Anyone with some knowledge of HTML can do the same thing in 5 seconds.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You did go out of your way if you did anything other than click on one of the avatar choices. That you had to use HTML at all constitutes "going out of your way." Antony's point is that this isn't something that could have happened by accident. You had to deliberately circumvent the ordinary setup of the board. How quickly you did so is beside the point.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>... I figured at the worst I'd be told to remove the image...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which means that you knew, going it, that you were breaking the rules. So it wasn't done accidentally or innocently. You decided that the rules shouldn't apply to you and figured that you could get away with breaking them or that the consequences wouldn't be very bad if someone decided to enforce them. You were wrong on both counts. All things considered, I'm with Antony on this one. I'm sorry you got yourself banned over something so trivial as an avatar, but you decided to take the gamble, so you'll also have to accept the result.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

Someone might have said this but i dont think so. Look at the Dulan scene with Kafta in it for 2-3 frames and memorize that with the backgroud. Then go to when theres about 20 minutes left in the movie, right after Kafta was caught and put in a cell. When Martel is 'talking' to him in the cell the exact same shot is shown there.

[Edit-fixed several spelling errors]
------------------
B5:LotR - "To Live and Die in Starlight" - G'Kar-"No one there is exactly what he seems... but then... who is?"

[This message has been edited by DeltaBlaster (edited January 27, 2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KoshN:
He was there in three frames.

A Jog/Shuttle dial is a wonderful thing.
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, after waiting four days and finally, barely being able to upload to lycos.co.uk (damn things a inline 4 that's missing randomly in 3 cylinders,
mad.gif
), here's the clip:

Dulann-Kafta%20Clip.jpg

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

Crusade (reruns) starting 03/26/2002 at 1PM EST on the Sci-Fi Channel

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.