• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

War Without End Part 2

Alluveal

Regular
(Spoilers below)
Where did Sheridan go when he was was unstuck in time the last time? They lost him to future Emperor Londo's time, then he disappeared again. Did anyone (writers, JMS, authors in other books) ever make mention of where he went the final time?

Now, the easy answer is that he appeared on the bridge of Babylon 4 and that's what the crew kept seeing "look, there it is again...." (in the blue spacesuit.) But, he was gone quite a while before that occurred and wasn't it Delenn in the suit at that point anyway?

Am I just dreaming this up, or does anyone else wonder about this or think there was more that was supposed to occur?

Where did Sheridan go when he was was unstuck in time the last time? They lost him to future Emperor Londo's time, then he disappeared again. Did anyone (writers, JMS, authors in other books) ever make mention of where he went the final time?

To my salad bar on Minbar. :D

The shift from "the One" being Sinclair alone to being Sheridan, Sinclair, and Delenn really threw JMS off on this one. I'm not entirely convinced that he got everything straight. But I'm too lazy to go back and chart everything out.

At different times the phantom figure in the blue suit was both Sheridan and Delenn. I don't think Sinclair was in the suit duriing any of the sightings. As I've said before I think JMS did a remarkable job stitching the story together with so few of the seams showing given that this was not the flip side of the story as he envisioned it when they made "Babylon Squared". (As we now know from the script books, when WB asked JMS when he was going to conclude the "B2" story they were expecting it to be in a few episodes or maybe early in S2 and his answer - after theatrically checking his notes - was, "In about four years", putting the event at or near the end of season five.)

Regards,

Joe

When Zathras gave the blue-suit person the time stabilizer device (the second appearance of the figure Babylon Squared), that must have been Delenn because Sheridan never had the stabilizer while he wore the suit, IIRC.

At different times the phantom figure in the blue suit was both Sheridan and Delenn. I don't think Sinclair was in the suit duriing any of the sightings. As I've said before I think JMS did a remarkable job stitching the story together with so few of the seams showing given that this was not the flip side of the story as he envisioned it when they made "Babylon Squared". (As we now know from the script books, when WB asked JMS when he was going to conclude the "B2" story they were expecting it to be in a few episodes or maybe early in S2 and his answer - after theatrically checking his notes - was, "In about four years", putting the event at or near the end of season five.)

Regards,

Joe

Not to mention that JMS had contingency plans ploted out so that the story could go either way (the far future or the near future). He even had one, according to the script books, for a version if B5 had to end abrubtly in the thrid season.

When Zathras gave the blue-suit person the time stabilizer device (the second appearance of the figure Babylon Squared), that must have been Delenn because Sheridan never had the stabilizer while he wore the suit, IIRC.

I think this is how it worked: "Natives" of 2258 experienced time flashes as mental journeys to wherever their physical bodies were at the time they flashed to. (Garibaldi on Mars, Sinclair to the last defense of Babylon 5 from the alternate future.) Time travellers from the future who had time-stabilizers either experienced something similar or didn't experience time flashes at all. (I think it was the latter for all of them, but I'll have to rewatch the episodes.) Time travellers without time stabilizers physically slipped through time and space, while simultaneously experiencing mental time jumps. I think this (roughly) explains the different experiences.

Regards,

Joe

Yeah I agree with all of that. The only thing I'm not 100% sure of is who is in that blue suit when Sinclair touches his hand and flies back. It is either Sheridan or Delenn, and I think if I re-watch I'd be able to figure that out.

I want to say it was Sinclair. You touch your own self in another time, maybe that's what caused it? Is that possible? Not sure.

I think that the intent when Babylon Squared was filmed was for it to be Sinclair and for that to cause the "blow back".

However, that was one of the things that changed in WWE due to the change from Sinclair to Sheridan as commander of B5.

I think that at that point it was still Sheridan in the suit (meaning that Delenn had not switched with him yet). But it has been a while since I've watched that ep, and I'm not certain right now.

I want to say it was Sinclair. You touch your own self in another time, maybe that's what caused it? Is that possible? Not sure.

I always thought it was Sinclair too. The other guess I had was just for fun. ;)

However, that was one of the things that changed in WWE due to the change from Sinclair to Sheridan as commander of B5.

Exactly what I Was thinking. HOWEVER. Let's consider something else. Perhaps it has something to do with them all being "the one?"

PillowRock is correct.

Perhaps it has something to do with them all being "the one?"

This was a contrivance JMS came up with for everything to fit together. That way, regardless of who is in the blue suit, Zathras is correct when he calls him/her "the One."

I don't see how being called "The One" would produce a physical effect like that. It isn't like they all ended up with stray bits of Vorlon embedded in them. ;)

Since it wasn't Sinclair in the suit, we have to assume that just touching someone who is bouncing through time unprotected by a time-stabilizer causes a massive electric shock. (Or else Sheridan or Delenn spent time rubbing feet on Londo's carpets and built up a big static charge before zapping back in.)

(On a more serious note, if it was Sheridan, the "Kosh chip" could explain things.) However, I remember an argument from when the episode first aired when it was generally agreed that it had to be Delenn in the suit, according to where we were in the story, and how little sense that made visually, since the figure in the suit is clearly closer to Michael O'Hare's size than he is to Mira Furlan's.

You touch your own self in another time, maybe that's what caused it?

If that's what happened when you touch your own self in this time, some members of this forum would be in orbit by now. ;)

Joe

However, I remember an argument from when the episode first aired when it was generally agreed that it had to be Delenn in the suit, according to where we were in the story, and how little sense that made visually, since the figure in the suit is clearly closer to Michael O'Hare's size than he is to Mira Furlan's.

Yes this all fits.

Logic and memory tell me that was Delenn in the suit who got Sinclair to fly back. Remember that she put the suit on specifically because Sheridan was time drifting, so she put herself in dandger instead of him by giving him her stabilizer and taking his place in the suit when he returned from his trip to Centauri of the future.

So to answer the original question, "where did Delenn go in the suit?", she went to float around and make Sinclair fly in a guest starring role in Babylon Squared. Then Zathras gave her the stabilizer, which allowed her to come back and save his ass later.

As stated by others, at the time of "Babylon Squared," the blue suited figure was Sinclair, but it was changed to accomidate for the change between Sinclair and Sheridan.

So, on to who it was in the blue suit as of "War Without End." It's Delenn. It's not Sheridan. Why do I say this? Zathras gives the blue suited individual a fixed time stabilizer. The whole reason behind Delenn ending up in the blue suit in the first place is because she gave her time stabilizer to Sheridan because she didn't want him to become permanently lost in time. If it was Sheridan in the blue suit to whom Zathras gave the time stabilizer, there would then have been absolutely no reason whatsoever for Delenn to have given Sheridan her time stabilizer because Sheridan would have had the fixed one from Zathras.

So, it happened thusly: Delenn got worried about permanently losing Sheridan in time, so she got off the White Star, found Sheridan when he reappeared unconscious, she took a blue suit and gave him her time stabializer, and she proceeded to become unstuck in his place. She appeared to Zathras, who gave her the fixed time stabilizer, which she then used to regain her stickiness (for lack of a better word) in time, and then help remove the beam off of Zathras.

Back