• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Vote for Babylon as best tv show of all time

As a French, I thought it might be interesting if i'd pop up into this conversation.

What I can say about the popularity of Babylon 5 over here is that we are generally known as THE country where B5 is more popular than Star Trek, which always was a very small "niche" success. (Actually, most of Voyager even never aired).
Trek is often mocked over here, where B5 is know to all sci-fi fan as a strong show.

However, you can't say that B5 is very popular, and certainly no more so than in the US. First, B5 aired here only on a pay channel, Canal+, which could be compared to Showtime. It certainly disminished a lot its exposition.
B5 was an esteem concept, and managed to build a dedicated fan base. There still is an unofficial fan-club in activity. And several years ago, every season was released in VHS season boxed set -- Now the DVDs are coming out.

Tom

Even though this site is in some foreign langauge that I don't understand (it looks Norwegian)I voted for B5 anyway! :cool:

The results

Results are in

Babylon 5 finished 3rd after Twin Peaks and The President, but over Friends.
I don't know wether this made it into the paper version, but it's nice.
Excerpt:
Among stars and planets The big surprise in the poll comes in the form of the series Babylon 5. Like The President, Babylon 5 has five seasons behind it. First accused of being a simple Star Trek copy, it proved otherwise even while in its first season. Bruce Boxleitner as captain John Sheridan showed that he had more to offer than being handsome in How the West was Won. Babylon 5 has become a real cult phenomenon, and the fact that the series came third on the Adresseavisen's poll, shows that there's a vast host of fans of the space station in Trøndelag (the paper's district).
Maybe it really shows that many foreign people answered the call? :LOL: I don't know how many foreigners voted, but Babylon 5 actually had a lot of viewers here in Norway. It ran on Sundays on the biggest commercial TV station (TV2). It ran between 7th Heaven and Party of Five IIRC. And it ran without any commercial brakes. :D No wonder Norway has one of the highest living standards in the world. :p

I almost fainted when I overheard the girls at my school answering online quizzes about B5 correctly. They knew who Delenn was! :eek:

Only sad that there's no proper DVD release of B5 here yet. (Only The Gathering and In the Beginning.) :rolleyes: Only the special import stores and mail order for us.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back