• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Use for Dureena's Sword?

Droshalla

Beyond the rim
Use for Dureena\'s Sword?

In relation to the planned "Sword Arc" involving Dureena and the Thieves' Guild ("Tried and True", "The Gates/Walls of Hell", plus another) what do you think the use would be for the glowing Sword Dureena obtains?

We see it briefly in "End of the Line" and see that Dureena is keeping it relatively secret, and it somehow glows. Is it just sentimental value, or is it some kind of ancient tech that would have gone on to play a part in the issues of Gideon's apocalypse box and Galen's tech? It seems to have been set up to form a trinity of artefacts that would have been segnificant to later themes. Do you think this would have been the case?

Re: Use for Dureena\'s Sword?

Since there would have been 3 episodes devoted to the sword, I believe its a little more more then just sentimental value. I believe it would have played a big part in the rest of the series. What part it would have played though, I don't know.

In relation to the planned "Sword Arc" involving Dureena and the Thieves' Guild ("Tried and True", "The Gates/Walls of Hell", plus another) what do you think the use would be for the glowing Sword Dureena obtains?

Detecting Shadowtech (or potentially "First One" Tech), whether used outright by the Drakh (or other Shadow allies), embedded in EA Tech or in Technomages. Seems like a parallel to the elfen sword given to Frodo (remember how it glowed blue?).

That's interesting - so it wouldn't have been a weapon but more a method of detection. Could you elaborate on this some more please? Would it have detected Galen's tech? Why did it glow when Gideon came to see her? Would it have detected the apocalypse box? How would these three elements have interacted exactly, in the long term? (I'm full of questions, I know)

Also, I haven't actually read Lord of the Rings, so maybe you could explain your comparison for me? Thanks.

Re: Use for Dureena\'s Sword? -Spoilers-T-Mage Tril

Some Spoilers for The Technomage Trilogy below:

That's interesting - so it wouldn't have been a weapon but more a method of detection. Could you elaborate on this some more please? Would it have detected Galen's tech?

First, this is all speculation. Yes, I think it would have detected Galen's tech, since Galen's tech is Shadowtech minus the Shadow Programming by the time Dureena meets Galen in "A Call to Arms" (December 2266). It could also have been a weapon.

Why did it glow when Gideon came to see her? Would it have detected the apocalypse box? How would these three elements have interacted exactly, in the long term? (I'm full of questions, I know)

How do you know it glowed when Gideon came to see her? I've never seen those three scripts. Didn't know that any of the three scripts in the sword arc had even been finished. Only JMS knows what he planned to do in that arc, and who knows if he's even thought of this part? I'd be inclined to think that it would detect the Apocolypse Box as part of Gideon (since the box uses Gideon's voice, there's probably an exchange of characteristics going on here).

Also, I haven't actually read Lord of the Rings, so maybe you could explain your comparison for me? Thanks.

I'm just going on what I saw in the two movies. Frodo's sword glowed at the approach of the Orcs and other baddies.

When I say it glowed when Gideon came to see her, I mean in "End of the Line". I know none of the three sword arc scripts were ever finished. The part I mean is (if memory serves) when Dureena gets out of bed, and unwraps the sword she has stored. It glows just before her door bell chimes. She puts it away and Gideon is at the door asking her to "steal" his personal logs if anything should happen to him on the EF base.

It seems to me that Gideon's Apocalypse Box and Galen's tech were oppoing forces - Galen is very suspicious of the box and the box said not to trust Galen. Perhaps Dureena's Sword would act as a balance between them.

In any case, I think it was enevitable that these three forces would have to confront each other eventually. In some way there would have to be a logical conclusion to the build-up. But I can't seem to come up with any theories or ideas at all as to how this would come about - I just can't seem to wrap my brain around how things would conclude with the three. Any thoughts?

When I say it glowed when Gideon came to see her, I mean in "End of the Line". ... The part I mean is (if memory serves) when Dureena gets out of bed, and unwraps the sword she has stored. It glows just before her door bell chimes. She puts it away and Gideon is at the door asking her to "steal" his personal logs if anything should happen to him on the EF base.

Ah, forgot that part. :eek: In my defense, I'm not thinking too clearly right now (just getting over a bad case of poison ivy, for which the Doc took one look at me and gave me Prednisone (which makes you susceptible to other illnesses), and I promptly got a sore throat/head cold 3 days after starting the medication. :rolleyes: Right now, the poison ivy is almost all cleared up and isn't itching too bad (I'm peeling like Delenn after the transformation/Morden after his repairs, but at least the stuff isn't weeping anymore. Hated that most of all.), but I'm coughing all the time and feel like my head's going to explode. :rolleyes:

It seems to me that Gideon's Apocalypse Box and Galen's tech were oppoing forces - Galen is very suspicious of the box and the box said not to trust Galen. Perhaps Dureena's Sword would act as a balance between them.

In any case, I think it was enevitable that these three forces would have to confront each other eventually. In some way there would have to be a logical conclusion to the build-up. But I can't seem to come up with any theories or ideas at all as to how this would come about - I just can't seem to wrap my brain around how things would conclude with the three. Any thoughts?

You make some good points. No thoughts though. I try not to stray too far into areas that I want JMS to explore, and there is nothing that I'd like JMS to explore more than Crusade.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back