• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Unaired Scripts

Elizar

Beyond the rim
Does anyone know where I could unofficially find the scripts?

------------------
-With every light is born a shadow-

------------------

[This message has been edited by Elizar (edited January 07, 2002).]

Many people have them, and when JMS asked the fans to not distribute them because one day they may be made into something everyone stopped

------------------
DS9 and B5. Who would have thought 2 of my fav shows would take place on stations in the middle of nowhere :)

I thought I heard that Value Judgements was actually filmed, but wasn't released.(don't quote me on that) It would be a real treat if JMS would air it. That episode interested me most.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Elizar:
I thought I heard that Value Judgements was actually filmed, but wasn't released.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As far as I know, it wasn't. The 'unaired scripts' are just that, scripts - all the 13 episodes that were filmed, have also been aired.

Too bad, indeed. But hey, maybe if Crusade comes back (wishful thinking, I know!) after Rangers becomes a smash hit, then we'll get the chance to see it!
laugh.gif

------------------
"Isn't the universe an amazing place? I wouldn't live anywhere else." - G'Kar, B5: Rangers
Kribu's Lounge | kribu@ranger.b5lr.com

What's this "wishfull thinking" stuff?

Hasn't Delenn taught you Anything?

Faith Manages.
tongue.gif
wink.gif
laugh.gif

------------------
Do not ascribe your own motivations to others:
At best, it will break your heart.
At worst, it will get you dead."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bakana:
What's this "wishfull thinking" stuff?

Hasn't Delenn taught you Anything?

Faith Manages.
tongue.gif
wink.gif
laugh.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whenever I start getting hopeful, expecting that something just might work out, or really go for something 110%, the universe conspires to do something really nasty to me.

Whenever I expect things to go to Hell, sometimes they don't go to Hell quite as bad, or with as much gusto as I thought they would.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 19, 2002 at 9PM & 11PM EST, January 20, 2002 at 5PM on The Sci-Fi Channel (US). http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

[This message has been edited by KoshN (edited January 06, 2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bakana:
Faith Manages.
tongue.gif
wink.gif
laugh.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Faith may have been hired to fill a managerial role, but even the best managers run into problems when Lots Of Money is on the other side...

-- Marty
"I never metaphor I couldn't mix."

Ah, but there Isn't any money on the other side of this.

Just the executives who are cautions about bringing the series back until they find out just how Loyal B5 fans are.

We're Loyal, so I'm optimistic.
cool.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

------------------

[This message has been edited by bakana (edited January 06, 2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kribu:
Too bad, indeed. But hey, maybe if Crusade comes back (wishful thinking, I know!) after Rangers becomes a smash hit, then we'll get the chance to see it!
laugh.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Speaking of wishful thinking, I wonder if all B5/Crusade fans crossed their fingers and fervently hoped in the direction of Warner Brothers headquarters, all at the same instant, all around the world, if it'd make a difference. This is somewhat along the lines of what Londo once said about the Narn, all hating in the direction of Centauri Prime.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

January 19, 2002 at 9PM & 11PM EST, January 20, 2002 at 5PM on The Sci-Fi Channel (US).
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

Just the executives who are cautions about bringing the series back until they find out just how Loyal B5 fans are.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

At over a million dollars per episode to produce the thing, I'd say there's money involved...

------------------
-- Marty
"Always do what you're good at," they tell me.
So I go around annoying people.

We're Loyal, so I'm optimistic.
cool.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If every B5 and Crusade fan watched the 1/19 9PM airing of To Live and Die in Starlight, and the other showings grabbed the casual viewer (people not considered to be B5 fans), do you think it would be enough? I don't. I think, for the ratings to be high enough to ensure a series, we need to pull in more people, new fans, and we better start writing letters right after we watch To Live and Die in Starlight, while it's fresh in our minds.

Get the addresses lined up now, folks.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

January 19, 2002 at 9PM & 11PM EST, January 20, 2002 at 5PM on The Sci-Fi Channel (US).
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> At over a million dollars per episode to produce the thing, I'd say there's money involved... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Money Involved, yes. Your post sounded like there was money Opposed to the show.

Nope, just the Chance to Make money if they decide there's an audience. We just have to show them that We (and a lot more people) Are that audience.

BTW, saw a B5LR commercial on A&E tonight. Aren't they under a different company umbrella than USA/SciFi?

------------------

Money Involved, yes. Your post sounded like there was money Opposed to the show.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes. The fact that they'd need to spend double-digit millions of dollars to bring the show back works as a considerable level of oppostion.

That's not to say it can't happen. But simple "loyalty" among the hardcore fans of B5 ain't going to be enough. There simply aren't enough of us. If B5LR goes to series and draws a wide enough audience, there's a shot. If it's just the "fans" watching, forget it.

------------------
-- Marty

Let's inject a little optimism in here despite the valid points expressed about the hurdles. When B5 moved to TNT, it moved to a station whose demographic was simply a mismatch. TNT, except for its movies, targets a more, dare I say it, base market. This market consists of people that not terribly intellectually curious, place high value on instant gratification, and and enjoy the simpler forms of entertainment (ala professional wrestling).

The SciFi channel is perfect for Legend of the Rangers and Crusade. The probability of a regular SciFi channel viewer getting hooked onto another B5 series is much greater than that of a regular TNT viewer. Obviously, there's significant segment of viewers that frequently watch both channels. I watch TNT sometimes too, usually for movies, however. I can safely say I don't want it for any series or regularly occurring show.

And SciFi is aggressively advertising to expand its mindshare, drawing in more people to watch LoR.

If there was no uncertainty as to the launch of a new series, SciFi and B5 fans could communicate to the world that there's a grand adventure on the way with rich character development, entertaining deep thoughts, and a tightly integrated story-arc/theme. I know that JMS has said that Crusade would not be as tight an arc-series as B5 but even so, compared to most other Scifi shows, Crusade is part of a great tapestry.

I hope that the SciFi channel sees the same interesting and lucrative opportunity that I do: launch both Rangers and a Crusade series concurrently. Economies of scale could be derived from combined use of resources. And, more importantly, each series could serve to advertise and promote the other...something like a chain reaction (I'm not referring to SciFi channel days when they play an entire series all day long and call it a chain reaction.). In chain reaction, think more along the lines of nuclear fission. Ranger neutrons running into Crusade nuclei, generating neutrons running into Crusade and Ranger nuclei, etc. With an adequate diversity between the two series as well as made for TV movies, the mind share that SciFi channel could generate could exceed the sum of its B5 parts.

Of course, this is speculation only. I don't know of any good comparison and I haven't seen any survey statistics or proliferation/diffusion models to support the speculation.

Cheers,

Eirik

------------------
It never ends; it only changes!

Well, one of the things to remember is that the Reason the TNT MBA contingent started screwing around with Crusade is because Babylon 5 did so much Better than expected.

The MBAssholes were attracted to unexpected success like sharks to blood and began trying to "grab credit" for the success.

Of course, all they succeeded in doing was screwing things up. I think it has something to do with the MBLobotomy they undergo during the graduation ceremony.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by eirik:
Let's inject a little optimism in here despite the valid points expressed about the hurdles. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fine with me.
smile.gif

I was just trying to inject a little realism into what I thought was plenty of optimism...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>When B5 moved to TNT, it moved to a station whose demographic was simply a mismatch.

[...]

The SciFi channel is perfect for Legend of the Rangers and Crusade. The probability of a regular SciFi channel viewer getting hooked onto another B5 series is much greater than that of a regular TNT viewer.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Both very good points, and very important things to remember, especially when trying to figure out TNT's motivations.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>I hope that the SciFi channel sees the same interesting and lucrative opportunity that I do: launch both Rangers and a Crusade series concurrently. Economies of scale could be derived from combined use of resources. And, more importantly, each series could serve to advertise and promote the other...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It'd seem like a no-brainer, except for the fact that the results aren't guaranteed. There's a huge element of risk involved when you commit a large amount of money to produce a TV series. If you try to start two related series at once, you're essentially doubling your risk.

------------------
-- Marty

Well, one of the things to remember is that the Reason the TNT MBA contingent started screwing around with Crusade is because Babylon 5 did so much Better than expected.

The MBAssholes were attracted to unexpected success like sharks to blood and began trying to "grab credit" for the success.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And exactly where does this "fact" come from?

One of the other things to remember is that, though B5's ratings on TNT were pretty good, there wasn't a lot of audience flow between B5 and TNT's other programming. It quite simply didn't fit their schedule, and was likely hurting the ratings of the shows that followed it because it didn't provide them with any carryover audience.

So, from a business perspective, the concept of the "suits" tinkering with Crusade to make it more palatable to TNT's core audience was perfectly reasonable. The problem, from their side, was that JMS wouldn't cooperate. Remember, they don't particularly care whether the show is good or not, they just want the network as a whole to make money.

There are lots of stories of similar interference on shows that have worked out to be commercially successful and run for many years. Hell, JMS has some of those stories himself, from Murder, She Wrote and other places.

Frankly, I'm glad we didn't get (much of) what Crusade could have turned into. (Think 22 episodes a year of War Zone.) But to simply slag off the TNT people as idiots and assholes is missing the point. They just had different priorities than the rest of us.

[donning flame-retardant suit]

------------------
-- Marty

Marty makes several excellent points, as usual. TV is a business, kiddies, and the idea is to make money and retain audience. The B5 reruns certainly weren't doing that. I don't remember what followed the first-run S5 episodes at 11 PM, but I suspect that whatever it was (movies more than likely) did not suffer the same kind of audience defections that shows earlier in the evening would have. So if Crusade inherited the B5 first-run slot, they probably expected it to do about as well.

The real difference is the fact that Crusade was an honest-to-goodness new show. B5 was a matter of picking up the last season of an established series. Crusade was TNT's first original one hour drama (even if they have conveniently forgotten the fact since then.)

The folks in Atlanta who were put in charge of such things expected to have "input" just like their peers at CBS, NBC and ABC. And since they weren't Sci-Fi afficiandos like the odd-balls who had originally brought B5 to the network, they had no clue how to approach an SF show. JMS had taken notes and suggestions from networks before, so it isn't like this was a new experience for him. What was new was getting such dumb and offensive suggestions.

He had just spent a year working with TNT Atlanta, which was staffed with people who really did "know drama" (TNT has produced some excellent made-for-TV movies) and who also understood science fiction. When Atlanta took over day-to-day supervision of the series there was a major culture clash - and JMS was on his last nerve after the five year battle that was B5, so things didn't go very well.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>I hope that the SciFi channel sees the same interesting and lucrative opportunity that I do: launch both Rangers and a Crusade series concurrently.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They don't and neither does JMS - for exactly the reason Marty indicated: TV shows are hideously expensive propositions, and they're basically a crap-shoot. Sci-Fi could easily produce both and have one turn out to be a hit and the other a bomb - or both could bomb. Too risky.

That is precisely why JMS set the Rangers pilot in 2265 - two years before Crusade S1. That gives him time to get the new show on its feet and time for it to establish itself on the air. If Rangers is a hit, Sci-Fi will have not only a show, but a production team with a solid track record. At that point overlapping audience and production economies start to make a difference. Rather than fill an hour of prime time with something entirely new, from an untried production company, a Rangers spin-off might make sense to them. (And a revived Crusade would be seen as a Rangers, not merely a revival of a failed show from another network. These perceptions can be important, as Sci-Fi is trying to become a serious home for original productions and move away from its image as the place bad shows go to die or be recycled, ala Sliders.)

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back