• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

uh-oh....this doesn't sound good.

Re: uh-oh....this doesn\'t sound good.

Isn't Joe supposed to be the moderator of this forum? What are we supposed to do with no parental supervision? Anarchy will reign! ;)

*smacks CS upside his head*

:D

I've sent my letter as well.

I've also seen a posting at the Unofficial Lost TV messageboard.

The word is spreading.

The story follows Diane Baker, an Earthforce Intelligence Officer whose brother is killed in an explosion. She teams up with Techno-Mage Galen, previously played by Peter Woodward but whose part is being re-cast, to find the truth behind her brother's death. They discover that dark forces are unleashing ancient Shadow technology--technology that was supposed to be guarded by Galen--and the two uncover a huge conspiracy.
Firstly -- since when has it been a technomage's responsibility (let alone a "banished" technomage) to guard leftover Shadow tech? Did the Shadows phone them up and say "hey, watch my stuff while we're gone"?

That whole filmjerk post reeks of BS.

Are you seeing Gandolf fighting Saruman in your head right now? You know you are.
Oh yeah, I compare the young, bald, clean-shaven technomage Galen to the old, longhaired, longer-bearded wizard Gandalf all the time. One simulates magic, the other actually performs it.

I really hate it when people start stupid rumors like that, especially at times like this when people are already in an uproar about the recasting buzz.

Firstly -- since when has it been a technomage's responsibility (let alone a "banished" technomage) to guard leftover Shadow tech? Did the Shadows phone them up and say "hey, watch my stuff while we're gone"?

The technomages probably feel some level of responsibility for leftover Shadow technology since their bodies are full of it. :cool:

I take it you haven't read the script for the unproduced Crusade episode "The End of the Line"?

I take it you haven't read the script for the unproduced Crusade episode "The End of the Line"?

SPOILER

That's exactly the reason Galen was following Gideon and crew around the galaxy. If they turned anything up, he would destroy it. The Techno-mage's relationship with the Shadows would've been revealed in the cliffhanger but instead was revealed in the book series.

I see -- well, I haven't read any of the book series, and that brings up another problem. Since the first news of the supposed plot surfaced, it's featured a common theme with the rumors we hear today -- the female officer and Galen searching for Shadow tech.

It seems to me this whole plot idea would require a LOT of exposition; something JMS has never been a fan of. Only the die-hard fans who know the series in and out are going to have a firm grip on what's going on. I'm really hoping even the basic plot rumor that's floating around isn't anywhere near the truth.

Ok.

I'm just going to come out and say it because no one else has mentioned it, and I'm probably one of the few weasels on the site who would actually bring up something dishonest like this and post about it.

How many people here plan on sending more than one letter? And I don't mean that WB will get 10 letters all from Chuck Schmidt at the same address, I mean they will get 10 letters from 10 different people at 10 different addresses. Has this thought seriously crossed anyones mind other than mine?

Dead people have voted in elections, what REALLY is the harm for some fan feedback from fans who don't exist --- or fans who DO exist but don't want to deal with speaking out.

My roommate is a B5 fan, but casually. He probably wouldn't like the movie if its re-cast, but he won't get off his lazy ass to write something, so what would be the harm from me sending a letter on his behalf? Then, what about my parents? Both loved the show when they watched it, but would never consider doing something like this, so why not me send something on their behalf? And of course the next level past that is....

Dunno, obviously its dishonest, but lets face it, studios do a lot worse. And its just fan mail after all right? Bottom line is if anything is going to happen a LOT of voices need to be heard.

Just curious as to who else has thought about this. And by the way I don't recommend posting THIS idea for all eyes to see, I just figured I would voice it here where I know a lot people. ;)

I can't say that I've thought about writing letters on behalf of other individuals, but I have thought about when would be an appropriate time for me to send out a second volley of my own and how it would differ from my first.

I've posted info and adressess on a couple of other message boards I frequent, so hopefully a few more letters will be written now.

But this IS, an open forum. Various WB employees may lurk here both on and off paid hours.

Are you suddenly the big fraud meister, recoil? :rolleyes:

All letters should involve a concious and physical act by the person sending it.
Do NOT send letters on other's behalf. It compromises the campaign.
Print out a form letter and have them sign it, or pre-fill a web form where they can fill in their names.

I'm a member of Amnesty International. We either write letters of our own, developed in meeting, fill in our name in an email or paper form letter. The farthest we go toward automation is text-messaging campaigns. But even there, the people have to do something to count. And of course, a letter in your own words counts more for those who receive them than a "Mee too!" text message.

So don't spam them with fake names, pets and dead people. The election season is over. :LOL:

EDIT:
PS: WB may be getting the same card from me twice, but that's because I'm not sure wether the mail service I used works. But both cards are signed with my name, and they also have the same text.
Maybe I'll send them a short Hallmark card message for tripple redundancy.

Just curious as to who else has thought about this. And by the way I don't recommend posting THIS idea for all eyes to see, I just figured I would voice it here where I know a lot people. ;)
Just make sure you don't sign one as "Abrahamo Lincolni." :)

It seems to me this whole plot idea would require a LOT of exposition; something JMS has never been a fan of. Only the die-hard fans who know the series in and out are going to have a firm grip on what's going on. I'm really hoping even the basic plot rumor that's floating around isn't anywhere near the truth.

See, I actually disagree about it requiring a lot of exposition. Case in point: The scripts for the unproduced Crusade episodes "To the Ends of the Earth" and "The End of the Line". They both relied heavily on covert use of Shadow technology. But how much time did they spend trying to explain who the Shadows were? All of about 5 seconds. You don't need to know the whole backstory to understand things. All you need to know is that the Shadows were an extremely advanced race that is no longer around. There's also no need to spend any length of time explaining the Technomages or their history. "They use technology to create the appearance of magic." No need to go into all the gory details.

I have no idea whether the Film Jerk story is true or not, but I will say that it's exactly the sort of thing that I would expect *if* JMS was asked to write a movie that put the focus on new characters. It deals with the "covert use of Shadow tech, and Galen's efforts to stop it" story that JMS hoped to use in Crusade, and it provides an excuse for some action on Babylon 5. To me anyway, it *sounds* like the sort of thing that might be true.

Something else: While the recasting news has made it into a short blurb on Dark Horizons, the story is still being ignored by AICN, Cinescape, and Scifi Wire. Maybe we should email them with a mention of both the Film Jerk rumor and the recasting news. The Film Jerk rumor might be enough to get them to at least run a TMoS story, and they might drop the recasting news in there while they're at it.

lol at Londoshair

hahahah

(Just make sure you don't sign one as "Abrahamo Lincolni." )

I don't read AICN after how they handeled Richard Biggs' passing.

How about posting this to Slashdot? (Only link to sites that can take the hammering of thousands of nerds clicking the link at the same time.)

Also being a fan of Battlestar Gallactica, I looked through the boards at The Colonial Fleets of Battlestar Galactica website, there was one post mentioning the babylon 5 movie being made. Another post mentioned that they thought WB was trying to do the Babylon 5 what was done to the original Battlestar Galactica. I posted the link to the save Babylon 5 site, explained what we know about the rumor, and asked for the help of the Battlestar Gallactice community.

I posted a notice in the only other board I frequent. It's almost entirely a fantasy board, but I've stumbled across some B5 fans there. Only one reply so far, but 53 views. Might do some good.

I will send my letter shortly. Right now things are crazy, getting ready to go home.

Keep the posting up and the convo! Make sure your letters are nice, polite and positive. There are a couple up at the Keepb5alive.com site and one at my site under the news section. My letter is a good example of pointing out postive things while still being strongly against recasting.

As for the Galen recasting thing...here are my thoughts and what I've heard:

It's not just Galen...casting descriptions were sent out to agents to replace Sheridan, Delenn and Lochley...at least those three.

Also, notice these little leaks don't contain any info on the main original cast or their roles in the film.

The sources have stated that that is planned in order to build acceptance of the film without the cast in that initial acceptance.

Notice that NONE of the "leaks" (there's no such think in Hollywood, they're all planned), contain any mention of the main cast except Lochley.

Word also has it according to Peter Woodward's site that he will be in the midst of shooting his own feature film script at the same time TMoS is being shot...with Sir Richard Attenborough directing. If this is the case, then I could accept that he was recast.

As a filmmaker, I'd prefer to be on set with Sir Richard anyday...since the man's a genius.

But rest assured that the recasting issue does stretch beyond Galen. Notice again, that the careful wording is that Galen is the one that is being recast...why? Because, since he's the smaller character in their minds from the spin-off, then leaking his recasting is a way to kill several birds with one stone. Leak a recasting idea, back JMS into a corner so he can't complain, and then get the audience used to the idea slowly so they can win.

This is pure Hollywood politics...and good politics as well. I must say, WB and TPTB are orchestrating this very well. And all in a way that JMS is powerless to respond.

Wow...but we know the truth. Keep writing those letters! Letters are powerful...make them personal...tell them why you love B5, why recasting would harm them (in a nice way, don't threaten -- it just gets your letter thrown away), and use good examples of successes.

CE

Keep the Voice of the Resistance alive!

Also, notice these little leaks don't contain any info on the main original cast or their roles in the film.

The sources have stated that that is planned in order to build acceptance of the film without the cast in that initial acceptance.

Please explain. By "the sources" do you mean your sources? Are you saying that your sources are saying that the Film Jerk story is a plant by WB--a bogus plot synopsis that features new characters--in order to ease the fans into accepting new actors, before they spring on us the big "surprise" that the real plot features the old characters, but played by different actors?

OK, maybe that last question wasn't a very well constructed sentence. Hopefully you get my meaning. :)

OK ... got off my backside and sent my letters this morning.

The bottom line for me is that this could be the start of a domino effect, because I can't see JMS sticking around if WB proceed with this ridiculous plan to re-cast B5.

Problem with that is that WB can do B5 without JMS, as it is their property. If they feel strongly enough that they want the movie, on their own terms, and JMS decides to walk then they could carry on regardless and that would conpletely and utterly alienate the existing fanbase and possibly kill the "franchise" off once and for all.

Even worse, perhaps, would be a massively successful re-cast movie leading to a massively successful series of movies that move further and further away from JMS' original vision for his universe. That would be a disaster for the fans.

Let's consider two recent examples.

The Avengers
Aside from the fact that it just wasn't a good movie, Ralph Fiennes did a decent job but, I felt, completely failed to convince me that he was Steed. Uma Thurman likewise.

Starsky & Hutch
Good movie, I enjoyed it, but it wasn't Starsky & Hutch. Like the new Battlestar Galactica, which is essentially a new show with a "classic" name attached to it for marketing purposes, so this is just a light comedy buddy cop movie with the S&H name attached to sell it.

Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson are great, but like RF they were just not Starsky & Hutch.

In both these examples it can be rightly argued that the original TV actors were too old to reprise their roles, but with only 6 years having passed since SiL, I can't believe that WB seriously want to risk alienating those of us who made B5 a worldwide TV and DVD success (and a UK VHS success) by doing this.

Unless, what they really want is a no-brainer blockbuster SF movie with a "classic" name bolted onto it to help sell it.

:mad:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back