• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Trailer for Rangers on Discovery Channel

Was the production of Dune produced by the Sci Fi Channel or did they simply purchase a completed film?

------------------
God be between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Was the production of Dune produced by the Sci Fi Channel or did they simply purchase a completed film?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That isn't as simple a question as it seems. Even when they commission TV movies, networks rarely actually "produce" them. As with B5:LR they underwrite the cost of the project, but hire a studio to make the film. In exchange they get an exclusive on airing rights for a set period or "x" number of airings. After that it belongs to the studio that makes it (which also usually owns all overseas rights.)

I think that Dune was a project that the Sci-Fi Channel initiated, possibly in partnership with one or more European networks or companies (Vivendi?
smile.gif
) since it was very much an international production, and largely or entirely shot in Europe.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

Hey Joe DeMartino,
I have read many of your posts through the past months and you seem to know a lot about the "behind the scenes" aspects of the television industry. Do you have a background in the business? Just curious.

------------------
Long live www.issbabylon.com

[This message has been edited by JackB (edited December 18, 2001).]

We had a thread not too long ago where Joe answered the question, "Who are you?" Perhaps Joe can 'cut and paste' his answer here.

------------------

I guess if it would require a "cut & paste" to answer the question then the answer must be.....he is "somebody". I have always been impressed with his knowledge of the subject. I was just wondering.

------------------

I believe had been involved with JMS and B5 news groups for a while, if not since the inception of the show. He has also mentioned meeting some people in the Biz, being involved with screenings and that sort of thing.

After Antony, the mods, hypatia, and myself, Joe is the most important person in this message board. Also, gals, I here he's single.
wink.gif

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GKarsEye:
I believe had been involved with JMS and B5 news groups for a while, if not since the inception of the show.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Geez, what's next...

"I heard JoeD was personal advisor to jms during the show, and wrote several of the scripts."

"Actually, the whole arc was something JoeD cooked up in 70s with a friend, but after being laid off and going unemployed for years, he was forced to sell it to jms in the late 80s for silce of pizza so he wouldh't die of hunger."

My own meager memory seems to recall JoeD mentioning writing off B5 as a crappy Trek wannabe, and only giving the show a chance around 1997. Being a Compuserve subscriber, he started following jms' messages there. He didn't show up in the newsgroups until sometime last year.

------------------
"Where? I don't see any guys; Just perverts!" (hear it)
-- Akane Tendo, "School is a Battlefield!", Ranma 1/2

drakh@spamcop.net

Goddamnit Drakh, what's your problem? All I said was that he cruised around the internet news groups. For me, 1997 is "a while" ago. And if I remembered it wrong, so what? Chill out.

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GKarsEye:
Goddamnit Drakh, what's your problem?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The first paragraphs weren't intended to be taken seriously... It's just that I find these little Baron Munchausen-esqe stories building up around JoeD (inspite of his best efforts to stop them) rather amusing. I suppose an emoticon should have been inculeded, though I'd think regulars of the board would have recognized that I was joking. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>All I said was that he cruised around the internet news groups.For me, 1997 is "a while" ago.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Since English isn't my native language, I don't know if I'm reading your erlier statement wrong, but a voice in the back of my head tells me that by putting the "if not since the inception of the show" at the end of a sentence, it was presented as something you considered not too unlikely. And that's a far cry from coming in at the end of the 4th season. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>And if I remembered it wrong, so what? Chill out.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Well, IMO, a wrong answer is worse than useless, since it draws attention away from any correct ones. I always try to check any facts I'm unsure of before posting. If I don't have time to, I postpone the post until I can.

YMMV, of course.

------------------
"Where? I don't see any guys; Just perverts!" (hear it)
-- Akane Tendo, "School is a Battlefield!", Ranma 1/2

drakh@spamcop.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by drakh:
My own meager memory seems to recall JoeD mentioning writing off B5 as a crappy Trek wannabe, and only giving the show a chance around 1997. Being a Compuserve subscriber, he started following jms' messages there. He didn't show up in the newsgroups until sometime last year.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unfortunately, I only have my Compuserve archives going back to October, 1997 available here. (Everything before that is up in New Jersey...)

But Joe was quite active going back that far, and mentions "[h]aving missed all of season one and most of two" in the second post of his I have available, dated 5-Oct-97, with the subject "B-5 DVDs". In which he asks, "Anybody got any info?"
smile.gif

(I'm going to pay for this, I think...
smile.gif
)

------------------
-- Marty

All I know is that he doesn't work in the business, that he knows a lot about it, and that he's been on the 'net since '97 (which in net-terms is quite a long time).

By saying "Joe is a Vorlon" I didn't mean to come up with a Baron Munchausen-type story about him. In any community, in RL or online, you have a few people who become notorious. It just so happens that, within the Babylon 5 online community, Joe DeMartino is one of those presences.

I'm not notorious yet, but Joe is.
smile.gif

-Channe, who is notorious in her own mind
smile.gif

------------------
The writer's life is not meant to be a happy one. We all accept that going in. -JMS

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by channe:
-Channe, who is notorious in her own mind
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And in a growing, though select number of other's minds as well.
wink.gif

Ro

------------------
A ship in a port is safe, but that's not what ships are for.

Rear Admiral Grace Murray Hopper

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Do you have a background in the business?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah. I was out of work for almost a year, so I had way too much time on my hands, and could actually look a lot of this stuff up.
smile.gif

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

Joe is a Vorlon.

------------------
The writer's life is not meant to be a happy one. We all accept that going in. -JMS

...Vorlon!...That explains it!

I get the impression Joe might be pulling my leg. If there is a cut and paste type answer out there in cyberland, then it has to be more than just "had time on my hands".
smile.gif

------------------

If you're interested in finding out more about our most respected member click above on my profile then click on postings by Star Stuff. Wait a minute and then go down the titles and click on 'Questions for Ambassador Joseph DeMartino'.

I don't know how to bring the info into this thread but it's there if you go this route.

------------------

Thanks Star Stuff for the link. I did as you suggested and read all of the stuff about Joe D. I can understand now why he gave me a short answer. The subject has been beaten to death. I don't feel as dumb for asking the question now. It seems what I was wondering has been wondered by many before me.

Hey Joe,
I remember you now. I wrote an e-mail to Antony to help drum up support for www.issbabylon.com and you answered saying you were taking care of the board while Antony was vacationing. I had forgotten that until I read the post reminding me about you taking care of the board. Anyway...sorry for bringing up the subject again. I'm sure you are tired of it by now. I love to read your posts because they are always very informative.
Thanks

------------------

Marty:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>(I'm going to pay for this, I think...
smile.gif
)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, you will. <eg>

(You know, we need emoticons for evil and very evil grins. I'd suggest the ordinary smiley and supergrin, but in red instead of yellow and green.
laugh.gif
)

And I was exaggerating a bit in that post. I had, in fact, seen bits and pieces of S1 at the urging of a friend (which is when I initially dismissed it as a "poor man's Trek.) Later I watched four or five in a row during a rerun block and was intrigued. I tried to watch S2, but the local PTEN affiliate kept moving it, so I wasn't able to become a regular watcher until late in the season. And I had been on-line quite a bit before that, via Prodigy, various direct-dial BBS systems and later Compuserve - where I found the SF Media Forum that spawned the B5 Forum. And a direct line to JMS himself.

(OK, Marty, sing it with me, "Those were the days, my friend, we thought they'd never end...")

smile.gif

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

I've seen the trailer just about everywhere. It's on every time I watch "Trading Spaces" on The Learning Channel. I love that show.

And Joe, I too had the same opinion of B5 at the start. I openly called it "Cheese Trek"
blush.gif
because of its.. ahem.. underwhelming budget. But despite its initial cosmetic flaws, I watched the show regularly from the pilot forward because it was something totally new and it captivated me. I usually give Sci-Fi shows a chance until they literally chase me away, and Babylon 5 most certainly did not. By the seventh episode of Season 1, I knew the show was definitely going places and I was coming along for the ride.

------------------
"Draal gave Zathras list of things not to say.
This was one. No.... *tsk tsk*
No. Not good.
Not supposed to mention... "one", or... THE one.
Hmmmm.
You never heard that."

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back