• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

This will make some here happy..

Pity it's only in comic form, as I've never managed to get into comics. At all.

... and I petition we get Joss off his lazy bum, and give him a TV show again. Seriously, a few years ago he had three, now he has zero? Not right. This should not be.

(though I did read an interview recently in which he said that after how they broke his heart with strangling Firefly in its crib, he's having a hard time even thinking about running a show again. Let's hope he gets over himself soon.)

Pity it's only in comic form, as I've never managed to get into comics. At all.
Then you have my pity sir.

I still think comics are the worlds greatest (and possibly an evolution of the oldest) medium, and are grossley under-rated.

But that maight have something to do with the fact that I like seeing pictures of perfectly formed humans in tight outfits fighting each other.

I also never got into comics,about the only strips I ever read was Oor Wullie and The Broons.That was more because they were seen as an exercise in scots than anything else.

Comics were downgraded to "you can't read properly" status and discouraged and so I never felt the connection.

I've devoured books since the age of five however.

Comic books, or graphic novels, are very different from the 'comics' you find in the newspaper. I did try out one of JMS's comics, and although the medium doesn't appeal to me, I was amazed at how adult it has become.

For me they are just not my thing, but I do get a better appreciation now of why so many adults do see a lot in this story format.

"Comic books" ain't for kids anymore. :eek:

I know what you are saying Hyp,it is just hard to turn round years of programming.

I have no problems with the comic scene apart from therir shortness in actual story.

I actually enjoyed reading comics as a kid when I had access to them but more for the novelty than anything else.

I have Oor Wullie and The Broons Annuals,not read them in the papers ever funny enough.

I do hav an original Battlestar Gallactica,Black Hole and Empire Strikes Back original hardback though although I doubt they're worth anything.

Yea, the "I read it in less than 20 minutes, and now the next edition will be out in a month or two" thing would annoy me. :LOL:

Yea, the "I read it in less than 20 minutes, and now the next edition will be out in a month or two" thing would annoy me. :LOL:

I happen to agree with you, but, is that honestly any worse than reading a book in a day or a week, and have to wait 3 years for the next one, once you take out our bias?

Yes, because a book tends to have some kind of feeling of completion to it, even if sequels are planned. It would be like reading a book by forcing yourself to read it a chapter at a time, with a month or two before you allow yourself the next chapter. I know that's how many stories used to be published, but I would have found the format frustrating.

Again, don't get oversensitive here, guys. I do see what people like about the format, and I certainly see why writers might like it. They have a lot more freedom, I gather.

If it keeps JMS happy, it's a good thing. :D

hyp, if you're not fond of the way a story can feel interrupted in a comic released issue-by-issue, perhaps you'd be more fond of reading those same issues collected into a trade paperback format. It's how I read jms's Rising Stars and Midnight Nation series and Joss Whedon's Fray. The story is much less interrupted, if at all, that way.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back