• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The Vree

Adam

Beyond the rim
We all know that the Vree are the "Greys Aliens" that adubties think they saw. We see them in there ships around B5 and The Shadow War. But we never see them around B5, except when one Great Great Great...... Grandson Vree was being sued by the Great Great Great........ Grandson of a Human who was adubted. Or in the LNAW councel Chambers. That is so strange!

Fun fact about Vree:
They Baned the 'The X-Files' TV Program on B5. (It was considerd "offensively truthful")

------------------
If you have an B5, crusade, or Rangers site and you want to join a webring join the Intersellar Alliace:
The Intersellar Alliance Webring
Home of the index of Alien races of Crusade: http://babylon5crusade.cjb.net

I never heard that they did that, which ep was it on?

------------------
-Is that a 7" Whitestar Limited Edition Collectible in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me?

Vree banning X-Files wasn't in any episode, but mentioned in the "B5 Security Manual"

------------------
"ShadowScout"
Roman Alexander

"Go on, watch out for Shadows - we'll watch you right back!"

What do you want?
ShadowShips!

LOL out of all the races i would of liked to have known more about them and there ships since they have quite a seizeable fleet

ohh well

------------------
G'kar " No dictator no invader can hold an imprissioned population by force of arms .forever.. there is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom...against that power goverments and tirants and armies Cannot stand... The centuri learned this lession once ... We will teach it to them again... though it take a thousand years... We will be Free!"

laugh.gif

Gotta love the Vree Saucers

~M~

------------------
~Ootah`Zha of the An`Mariah`Shok~

Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbarri fleet. He is behind me. you are in front of me. If you value your lives... be somewhere else.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ShadowScout:
Vree banning X-Files wasn't in any episode, but mentioned in the "B5 Security Manual"

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is too funny. *chuckle*
laugh.gif

------------------
"Thin air? Why is it always thin air? Never fat air, chubby air, mostly-fit-could-stand-lose-a-few-pounds air?"

Also Banned on B5-

Centauri Opera- considered offensive by the Narn

Narn Opera- considered offensive by the Centauri

And Bear-balon 5 bears....
smile.gif

I LOVED the episode of Crusade that was like the X-Files except Humans were the scary aliens!

------------------
"During a witch hunt, don't get caught wearing a pointy hat."

And don't forget the rest of the banned goods:

# Centauri figures without personal "appendages" (manifacture of licensed "appendaged" facsimiles is permitted subject to a copyright tax payable to the Centauri ambassador)

# Lumati sex toys
(don't ask)

# Certain Old Calender "TeeVee" programs, including The X-Files(considered "offensively truthful" by the Vree race) and Absolutely Fabulous (considered offensive by more than fifty-eight different species) but excluding Warner Bros. cartoons and Lumati educational films (considered wholesome and stimulating by every alien race - particulary the Lumati)

# Fluffy dice (navigation hazard when used in Starfury cockpits)

# Live yoghurt (dead yoghurt is permitted)

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

------------------
"ShadowScout"
Roman Alexander

What do you want?
ShadowShips!

The interesting thing about the Vree, if you'll look in the B5 Tech Manual is that they are at the "galatic" level of technology, yet they are never mentioned as one of the great powers in the galaxy. But I suppose that there are other reasons for this, as far as I know there might only be a few million of them.

------------------
The Revolution Will Not Be Televised.

Vree, their power and technology...

Yes, they're technologically advanced, mostly because they found some interesting things in some ship wrecks left over from a war a thousand years before B5 (artificial gravity, antimatter weaponry). They're not that old - only been in space for roughly 600 years at the time of B5...

But their nation still spans only two systems (their Home system and one major colony). More, the Vree Guilds not interested in conquest, but in trade (and the occasional abduction
wink.gif
) So while they are one of the major races of the League, they are nowhere near the big 4 powers (Minbari, Centauri, EA, Narn)...

------------------
"ShadowScout"
Roman Alexander

What do you want?
ShadowShips!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ShadowScout:

More, the Vree Guilds not interested in conquest, but in trade (and the occasional abduction
wink.gif
) So while they are one of the major races of the League, they are nowhere near the big 4 powers (Minbari, Centauri, EA, Narn)...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Also, I don't know if it's mentioned or not, but they may not have room to expand. We don't really know anything about their neighbors. If say for example, they border the Centauri on one side and the Humans on the other, they're pretty much stuck.

------------------
"Who are you?"
"Who are you?"
"How did I get here?"
"You were born."
"Why am I alive?"
"Well, that is the question, isn't it?"
-- Sheridan and Lorien in Babylon 5:"The Hour of the Wolf"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>We don't really know anything about their neighbors. If say for example, they border the Centauri on one side and the Humans on the other, they're pretty much stuck.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Actually their situation is like this as of 2258:

They have two star systems under their control, Vreetan and Alzeral.

Coreward of them are the Markab with three systems, not a good choice to attack - while they are not so good technically, tactically inept and overconfident to boot (because these religious fanatics believe that as the chosen of their gods they will win anyway), they tend to go "jihad" when attacked (and will die in 2259, creating lots of empty space, but with the danger of the disease that killed them still floating around).

Spinward of them is the EA - not a good choice for anyone to tangle with, as we all know. Besides, they're the heros of the Dilgar war... and have almost 30 systems, defense treaties with half the League and one of the biggest fleets too.

Rimward there are a few indipendednt systems, but nothing major.

Rim/Antispinward there are the Torata, an aqutic race with four systems and somewhat lower tech and a small but capable navy (they are a monarchy, and don't want anyone but their nobility in their military, fearing revolution - which severely limits their manpower).

Antispinward are the Kor-Lyans with four systems, a symbiotic race that really loves missiles, they have a decent navy that could give the Vree troubles even though it has lower tech...

Antispin/Coreward are the Yolu, one of the older league races, with high tech but very pacifistic mindsets. They also have four systems under their control, and are technologically equal to the Hyach and slightly lower than the Minbari.

Now, the Vree Could conquer at least the Markab, Kor-Lyans or Torata - but what's the point for them - they make more profit by trading with them, and while they could win it would cost them dearly. And since they're not in need of new territory yet...

But the main point is not every race in the B5 universe is concerned with expanding their territory - some stay on their home planet exclusively, and only go into space to make sure noone else will see them as easy targets for invasion. It may be that "alien mindset" thing, you know...
wink.gif

------------------
"ShadowScout"
Roman Alexander

What do you want?
ShadowShips!

Shadowscout, where did you get all this information? I've never seen a map of the B5 universe. Is one published somewhere? I'd love to see it.

------------------
"Who are you?"
"Who are you?"
"How did I get here?"
"You were born."
"Why am I alive?"
"Well, that is the question, isn't it?"
-- Sheridan and Lorien in Babylon 5:"The Hour of the Wolf"

Shadow Scout, did either JMS of Fiona Avery directly say that the video game which this is based on is canon?

Otherwise it's just fan speculation.

------------------
Bus

"Yeah, we could start our own game where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing's the way it seems."-Homer

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Shadowscout, where did you get all this information? I've never seen a map of the B5 universe. Is one published somewhere? I'd love to see it.

Shadow Scout, did either JMS of Fiona Avery directly say that the video game which this is based on is canon?
Otherwise it's just fan speculation.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Where else - Babylon 5 Wars, the tactical Boardgame from Agents of Gaming.

And the map they published in their Rules Compendium (yes, the one with the foreword by JMS endorsing AoG's "canonical authotity" I cited once before for those who remeber) was checked and declared accurate by Warner Bros. and Babylonian Prod.
It is of course not entirely perfect - for one it squished three-dimensional space onto a two-dimenlional map, for another it shows the relations of jump routes, not real star placement; it also doesn't show all the unimportant lifeless systems "in-between", as well as the rest of the galaxy... but it's a good start

------------------
"ShadowScout"
Roman Alexander

What do you want?
ShadowShips!

[This message has been edited by ShadowScout (edited August 22, 2001).]

As far as I know, things based on the Babylon 5 CCG and Agents of Gaming can be considered well-founded speculation.

Of course, should JMS choose to include some of the aforementioned races in the stories he tells, he might present them a bit differently. But that's natural.

------------------
Canned flarn is a sacrilege.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mapadoo:
laugh.gif

Gotta love the Vree Saucers

~M~
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So THAT'S who those saucers belong to! I've noticed them, but never knew for certain which race used them. I, unlike many many people here, know NOTHING about which race uses which ship, and their specs. I just never really paid attention before to that aspect. Ahh, that's what I can do the next time B5 comes around on scifi.
wink.gif
laugh.gif

------------------
"I do not believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense,
reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."-- Galileo

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Valen2k1:
Also Banned on B5-
Centauri Opera- considered offensive by the Narn

Narn Opera- considered offensive by the Centauri
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wouldn't just about everyone ban Narn opera? I remember the scene when Gkar was in prison, Garibaldi said something like 'everyone thinks we are torturing you in here'.

(Ah, its true, a great artist is never appreciated in his own time!)
laugh.gif
crazy.gif
shocked.gif

------------------
"I do not believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense,
reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."-- Galileo

I think the Vree saucers are my favourite ships, right after the G'Quan cruisers, of course.

They are so... elegant in their round simplicity.
smile.gif

------------------
"It's animal magnetism. What can I say?"
- G'Kar, A Tragedy of Telepaths

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hypatia:
Wouldn't just about everyone ban Narn opera? I remember the scene when Gkar was in prison, Garibaldi said something like 'everyone thinks we are torturing you in here'.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, was that Narn opera he was singing? I just thought he couldn't sing...
shocked.gif
laugh.gif

------------------
"It's animal magnetism. What can I say?"
- G'Kar, A Tragedy of Telepaths

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back