• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The Two Towers - Extended Edition (spoilers)

I have a question I just can't get around. I loved the EE, but there is a plot point that just doesn't make sense to me. The scene when Merry, Pippin, and Treebeard come out into the open and see the trees moving off is driving me crazy. If the trees could move and even attack then how did the Orcs cut down so many in the first place? Why didn't these living trees get into the fight then? I've asked others and nobody can give me a good answer. I just can't get around that moving line of trees right next to all of the destroyed trees. I must have missed something that explained why the trees were waiting until then to move. If anyone can explain this I can't wait to hear it. THANKS!!! :D

I'm thinking that it was mainly because the trees weren't all really awake yet. There had been no reason for some time for them to really do anything, since there really weren't THAT many orcs around until Saruman decided to start using the forest for fuel. But once the orcs started to cut down some trees, they started to slowly awaken. At least, that's MY theory.

Not all of the trees can move and talk. Some can completely, which are Ents, some can a little, like the one that was suffucating Merry and Pippin, and some are just normal trees.

But that aside, the trees and tree-like creatures are extremely old and therefore slow. The whole point with that story line is that trees are passive. It required an outside force to get them moving. This concept is not foreign to reality, as it reflects the frightening truth that people have more power than they think and simply don't organize, come together, and use it when they can.

Yeah they were Huorns and it is treeish ents. Here is a link for a little info on them Encylopedia of Arda- Huorns They were in the book.

Ah didn't the tree that suffocate them not neccisarrly a huorn it just grew faster cause they were spilling the Ent Draught they got from the river that was causing them to grow. They spilled some of it on the tree roots so they grew faster than normal and grew over Merry and Pippen. Could of been still a Huron too but basicly they got grown over cause they spill the draught on the tree.

You people are AWESOME! Thank you for all of your answers. Special Thanks to Decal. That is a great website. :D

I have to agree, the EE is what a DVD should be. All the added and extended scenes are already inserted into the movie where they belong. Not on a seperate disc you have to watch out of context. Why aren't deleted scenes put back into the movie on all DVDs? Seems like a natural thing to do to me. But the EE as a whole is a thing of beauty. Now I want to go get the Fellowship EE...even though I have the theatrical release.

These movies rank pretty high up on my favorite of all time list...Getting close to SW, heresy I know... but there it is. :confused:

Because most deleted scenes are deleted for good reason. The ones in Rings that were included in the EEs were taken out purely for time constraints, so the DVD simply allows us to view a longer cut of the film. Most deleted scenes in other films would confuse the story or change the flow of the film in a negative way. They are added as supplements just as a way for the fan to see pieces of the work in progress.

In my eyes, the EEs are the "real" film. I just go to the theatrical releases because I can't wait a year to buy it.

And yes, this trilogy has easily replaced Star Wars in my paragon of cinematic trilogies. The source material alone would do that. And there will be no Ewoks in Return of the King.

The two-disc DVDs of each film have just the theatrical cut, trailers, and some promotional type extras. The EEs have the extended cut only, none of the extras of the 2-disc, and 5 billion hours of documentaries and extras.

So to get every little thing, you would have to buy both. I personally don't understand why anyone would want to do that, but to each his own.

This makes me sorry I bought the first Two Towers release. From now on, I'm going to wait for the extended edition, so I only buy the movie once.

We own both versions of Fellowship and will soon own both versions of Two Towers. And we'll likely repeat the pattern for Return of the King.

Just because I'm an utter geek, let me add a thing or two about Huorns.

About whether or not they are Entish trees or treeish Ents, even Treebeard himself was not sure, and if he doesn't know, who does? (Maybe Bombadil, but I doubt you'd get a straight answer from him, either.) And as to why the Huorns hadn't fought before: most of them, if memory serves, lived high up in the mountains, furthest away from the Orcs. When the Ents were roused, they roused the Huorns too.

I haven't seen the EE yet, but my biggest personal complaint regarding TTT was about Treebeard. There was no possible way that an Ent could have missed Saruman's depredations, as the movie implied he had. In the books, Treebeard was fully aware of it, and was indeed considering making a move, but the arrival of Merry and Pippin persuaded him to act immediately. He knew he didn't have a chance against Sauron, but Saruman he could deal with. I think the movie really weakened Treebeard's character. (It weakened Aragorn's character too, but his character is growing stronger with every movie, so it's not only admissable, I like it.)

I'm very glad to hear about Faramir. That clears things up significantly.

Finally I've seen it. As with the fotr, TTT:EE is more the movie that should have been. It's great. And know, finally I got answer to this question. When did orcs accompanied the band of uruk-hai, in the theaterical release, they just appeared there when they wanted to keep a little pause. But now, they actually meet the uruk-hai etc.. And now to bed ->

I think the movie really weakened Treebeard's character.

I totally agree! I hated the way the movie had Merry and Pippin trick Treebeard into taking action about Saruman. It completely contradicted the way Treebeard had behaved in the book.

I'm not a complete slave to the book, and I understand why some changes have to be made, but this change seemed pointless.

There is an egg in both EE dvd verson (mtv stuff) just go to sceen selection... the last sceen in both movies and press down :) a gold ring will appear. Just press enter :) Gollums mtv award speace is pricless.

I agree with the Ent/Merry and Pippin change; it gave them a purpose and a role to play other than bystanders. In film, each of the characters needs to have some purpose and character development. (*cough Matrix cough Wachoskis learn a lesson cough*)

Finally made my way through both Extended Editions and loved both. All the added material is great, this has got to be the best and most documented movie ever. My only question is; how the hell ae they going to top this? Can't wait to see.

I think the pupose of that change was to make Merry and Pippin more important.

By undermining the message in the fact that the Ents didn't need to be tricked into fighting. They felt betrayed enough by Saruman for destroying the trees.

There are some things that Peter Jackson changed or added that I don't mind so much - the elves at Helm's Deep I can just live with, considering the emotional impact their arrival and Haldir's death had. But, I can't help by feel a little disappointed in certain things PJ has changed or omitted and will be omitting and changing in Return of the King - some things I can understand, but other things, like Merry and Pippin tricking Treebeard, I don't.

I'm a great fan of the movies, and believe me have seen them enough times. I guess I never thought I was a purist on some levels, but I think it's the fact that Peter Jackson promised to keep the movies as accurate as possible and as true to the books as he could, but there are certain things that I don't see him doing. It's fine when he excludes certain things, but when he changes things that actually alter or remove a certain important message, then I get a little disappointed.

However, that opinion aside :). I loved the EE and still love the movies, they are fantastic viewing and I for one am counting the days down to ROTK. I already am aware that certain things won't be in it and certain things have been changed, but this time I am prepared and will not be disappointed when they happen or rather don't happen. From all looks it is going to be spectacular and the battle of the Pelennor Fields and Minas Tirith are going to make the battle for Helm's Deep look like the warm up act. I can't wait, cause it's going to be amazing in many other ways. :)

Angel

That's cool. I personally almost commpletely separate the movie and book versions of a story, so these kinds of changes don't bother me, as long as it's consistent within the film.

I look at it like the Ents would fight anyway, Merry and Pippin just basically slapped them in the face to get them moving. It's a nice parallel the elves: both races are ending their time on Middle-Earth and eventually decide to go out with a bang, not a whimper.

The Elves at Helm's Deep actually bothered me a little more because that story line acts as a defiant statement of human will. But it looked cool and was done tastefully, which is more important to me.

I think the human defiance thing still comes out in King Theoden's last charge before Eomer arrives.

Besides, aside from Legolas, it looks as if the entire Elven army was destroyed ... no other elves are seen in the keep.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back