• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The Road Home soundtrack release

Springer

Regular
The score to TRH has been released on digital only by Dynamic Music Partners, I downloaded it from the iTunes Store but I presume it's available through other avenues too, Google Play, Amazon etc.

I didn't like it unfortunately, and though I'm a completist on this kind of thing, I regret purchasing it a little bit. The music lacks identity; it's very generic, bland, you could probably get away with it in the background of a computer game but in the film it was barely noticeable and as a listening experience it just doesn't hit any high notes (pardon the pun) for me. The recording is very flat, even for digitally composed music, and aside from a few notes of the traditional B5 theme, there really was little to latch onto musically. I don't think they should have copied Christopher Franke, that would have been the wrong thing to do, but at least create a new identity for B5's animated incarnation. Even from track to track, there's no through line, no shared motifs that I could detect on an initial listen. The best tracks are towards the end, when the story nears its denouement and things get a little more intense. I listen to a lot of film and TV scores but I don't think I'll be coming back to listen to this one very often.

You can see the full track list here: https://filmmusicreporter.com/2023/10/19/babylon-5-the-road-home-soundtrack-album-details/

Can also be purchased as single tracks from Amazon. But as it was around $7.99-ish for the set, figured Why Not, as at least it won't take up any space on my shelf like the Pile o B5 CDs which came out in the 90s.

The music lacks identity; it's very generic, bland, you could probably get away with it in the background of a computer game
I found it mildly enjoyable, but that is it. You pretty much nailed it when you said "lacks identity". I'm not a huge fan of Evan Chan's music for CRUSADE, but at least it was a unique attempt at giving the music a real identity. I don't love listening to it, but I so appreciate the effort to create something of its own.

"least it won't take up any space on my shelf like the Pile o B5 CDs which came out in the 90s."

FOR SHAME LateArrival!!!!!!! My pile of 90's CDs is a treasure!

Latest posts

Members online

Back