• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The reason for the anger

westtim

Beyond the rim
There is a poster in another thread that questioned why so many are upset over this lone review. That person (and I know who she is
crazy.gif
) wonders why we are so insecure. Also in the midst of her wondering claims to have seen Rangers and puts it down as well. I thought the reasons deserved their own thread.

1.) B5 fans had to fight for their show every year for it to stay alive.

2.) Crusade was hung out to dry before it ever hit the air.

3.) In the face of all this, garbage like "Voyager" and "Andromeda" get multiyear commitments.

So yes we are a little senstive at this point. We have more than a little paranoia that some other thing is going to come along and mess it all up. And into this walks Capt. Pike.

Look, I thought "The Gathering" was very weak when I first saw it. "Rangers" is a pilot, nothing more and nothing less. I'm confident we will see more of Rangers and then arrive at a more reliable opinion.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>
westtim:
Look, I thought "The Gathering" was very weak when I first saw it. "Rangers" is a pilot, nothing more and nothing less. I'm confident we will see more of Rangers and then arrive at a more reliable opinion.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, IMHO you're right. The Gatherning is the pilot for B5 and I can say that I don't like it very much. It's good, but can be much better.

May be situation with LOTR will repeat itself. Rangers pilot will be good show but not excelent, and then first episode of new Rangers show will be different, like 1x01 (Midnight....) has big diferences with The Gatherning.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by westtim:

1.) B5 fans had to fight for their show every year for it to stay alive.

2.) Crusade was hung out to dry before it ever hit the air.

3.) In the face of all this, garbage like "Voyager" and "Andromeda" get multiyear commitments.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You just about nailed it.

I'd add:

4.) All the other B5/Crusade stuff that has vanished since Sept. 1999:

B5 Fan Club
B5/Crusade Magazine
Amazing Stories Magazine
The B5 VHS and Laserdisc releases

The only examples of new B5 universe stuff have been the trilogies (which are one book away from the end), and B5:LotR.

WHEN B5:LotR becomes a series, I hope B5/Crusade Magazine comes back as "Babylon 5 Universe Today" or something like that, to INCLUDE B5, Crusade, and B5:LotR.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>
So yes we are a little senstive at this point. We have more than a little paranoia that some other thing is going to come along and mess it all up. And into this walks Capt. Pike.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And Harry had to know that. This makes me wonder about intent.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 2002 on The Sci-Fi Channel.
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

Add to that, we have a need to defend it, yet without having seen it we have no real way of doing it, heck some aren't sure if they should be doing it. That only leads to frustration and anger.

I supose my concelation is that I know jms still capable top notch stuff, and the cast seem like a good bunch, so I'm sure any troubles with the show can be worked out in the first season.

------------------
You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion.
-- Harlan Ellison qouting Gustave Flaubert

I agree with everything you said, Tim. B5 fans are frustrated because nothing seems to go right where the B5 universe is concerned these days. So B5: Rangers comes along, I have my first real hope in some time that things will turn around, & then this Pike-guy comes along with a bad review! Pardon me if I am annoyed with this reviewer (& I am), but hey, B5 got me through some rough times in my life, so I'm going to defend it to the end! I am sick of those other shows getting multi-year commitments, too, & yet anything having to do with B5 has to struggle to survive. It's very frustrating & annoying.

Sorry for my ramblings, but several years of frustration finally boiled over, I guess.

Tammy

------------------

"We're in here! Can anyone hear us?"
"I hear you." [giggle, laugh]
"In here!"
"We are here." [giggle, laugh]
-- Londo and G'Kar in Babylon 5:"Convictions"

Tammy's Station
http://community.webtv.net/gkarfan/TammysStation

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by westtim:
There is a poster in another thread that questioned why so many are upset over this lone review. That person (and I know who she is
crazy.gif
) wonders why we are so insecure. Also in the midst of her wondering claims to have seen Rangers and puts it down as well.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who was that? The only other person who I saw claim to have seen TLaDiS in the Chris Pike discussion was Tobias, and I don't think he's a "she".
wink.gif

------------------

Unless westtim knows something we don't.
smile.gif

A board name doesn't necessarily reflect the person's gender.

------------------
"It's animal magnetism. What can I say?"
- G'Kar, A Tragedy of Telepaths
Visit Kribu's Lounge - now completely ad-free!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back