• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The Passing of the Techno-Mages *Likely Spoilers*

Deviot

Beyond the rim
Hey has anyone read the first book in the techno-mage trilagy yet?

Well if you havn't the tilagy is called The Passing od the Techno-Mages the first book is called Casting Shadows .

Well I was just wondering if anyone has read it so we can have a bit of a discussion on it as it brings up many things already about the Techno-Mages.

Well the author recommended reading The Shadow Winthin before reading the tilagy as the tilagy begins where that book left of exactly(so I hear as I have not read The Shadow Within ).

So has anyone read the Book?

Damn I cannot wait until the second book in the tilagy is available June is it or July I have forgtten but I do have it on order
smile.gif

------------------
Deviot
Lincbot@yahoo.com.au

Deviot,

I've read the 1st Techno-Mage book, and thought it provided a great insight into the Techno Mages. More interesting (to me) than the technology itself was the way they were organised, and the fact that they had non-human members. (From what I remember, we've only ever seen human Techno Mages in B5 & Crusade).

I'm really, really looking forward to the next 2 books in the trilogy, and will definitely be picking them up as & when they are released
smile.gif

So far, the story seems to have given us a really good insight into the character of Galen. (Much like the Psi-Corps books did for Bester, actually). It'll be good to see (going forward) how much overlap there is with Crusade & the rest of the B5 Universe.

Rgds,
Techno.

------------------

Deviot, dear, you just KNOW Jeanne C.'s gonna freak out when she finds out there's another board she's gonna have to visit
smile.gif
Don't mind me, I'll just be over here mixing up some drinks in anticipation of her arrival. I won't spike 'em TOO much! Bwahahahahaha

------------------
"Hello. I want to welcome back our viewers. We've been gone a long time."

Mmmmm... awesome book. I'd write more, but i've already siscussed it to death at other forums, and I have final exams to study for.

------------------
"Expect me, when you see me."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Techno wrote
I've read the 1st Techno-Mage book, and thought it provided a great insight into the Techno Mages. More interesting (to me) than the technology itself was the way they were organised, and the fact that they had non-human members. (From what I remember, we've only ever seen human Techno Mages in B5 & Crusade). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah that was good from teh book it says over time different race's joined the mages and at this time Humans are the most common race of mage. I want to see a pic of the taramitude technomage first race. Carvin I thought she was amusing little Centauri women reminds me of somone but I can;t think of who.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Star wrote
Deviot, dear, you just KNOW Jeanne C.'s gonna freak out when she finds out there's another board she's gonna have to visit <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He he yeah, she makes me laugh that women I think message boards confuse her. I do like her though and her work
smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Derian wrote
Mmmmm... awesome book. I'd write more, but i've already siscussed it to death at other forums, and I have final exams to study for. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes I have as well hoping for a new perspective or somthing new people I am too loving of this book I have been salivating in antisipation of teh next one.

I still can't get over how the tech is implanted and how Painful it would be agh

------------------
Deviot
Lincbot@yahoo.com.au

[This message has been edited by Deviot (edited April 23, 2001).]

Definately an interesting read! I'm waiting to get mine back, since I loaned it to another techno-lackey.
wink.gif
July seems such a far way off for Book 2. I do have a question/speculation involving the book and a few things we saw in "Path of Sorrows" but first...a spoiler spell for both the ep and the book.
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S
B
E
L
O
W
<SPOILERS BELOW FOR "Path of Sorrows" and "PASSING OF THE TECHNO-MAGES, BOOK 1>

In "Path of Sorrows", Gideon's ship (the Cerebrus?) is attacked by a Shadow-esque vessel. It *almost* looked like part of a techno-mage ship...that triangular look. In the book, we find that Kell's assistant is working for the Shadows. In the end, we read about Kell's ship going into a Shadow ship. Is it possible that the rouge ship was a hybrid creation of the rogue techno-mages/Shadows? It was awfully convenient that the ship attacked right before the rest of the techno-mages left the galaxy.

As I said, just speculating here. Looking forward to chatting about the book and the techno-mages.

Kitsune

------------------
"We are dreamers, shapers, singers and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things." Elric the Techno-Mage, "Geometry of Shadows"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kitsune:
Definately an interesting read! I'm waiting to get mine back, since I loaned it to another techno-lackey.
wink.gif
July seems such a far way off for Book 2. I do have a question/speculation involving the book and a few things we saw in "Path of Sorrows" but first...a spoiler spell for both the ep and the book.
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S
B
E
L
O
W
<SPOILERS BELOW FOR "Path of Sorrows" and "PASSING OF THE TECHNO-MAGES, BOOK 1>

In "Path of Sorrows", Gideon's ship (the Cerebrus?) is attacked by a Shadow-esque vessel. It *almost* looked like part of a techno-mage ship...that triangular look. In the book, we find that Kell's assistant is working for the Shadows. In the end, we read about Kell's ship going into a Shadow ship. Is it possible that the rouge ship was a hybrid creation of the rogue techno-mages/Shadows? It was awfully convenient that the ship attacked right before the rest of the techno-mages left the galaxy.

As I said, just speculating here. Looking forward to chatting about the book and the techno-mages.

Kitsune

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes about that ship the shadow-hybrid
s

p

o

i

l

er

OK that ship was made by earthforce(well section not even all senetors know about it only a few from memory).

In fact the earthforce people who made this ship knew that Technomages use shadow tech and this group wanted the technomages to share there knowledge and tech to them but the mages wouldn't.

I beleive at least one of the reasons the technomages left known space was so other races earthforce specifically would not get more shadow-tech from the mages.

The technomages know they were fiddling with shadow tech but where not sure how successful they were or how much they had got/learn't.

Hopfully we find out more about this in trilagy.

We learn more about that ship or class of ship in unmade Crusade scripts called

To the ends of the earth
and end of the line

------------------
Deviot
Lincbot@yahoo.com.au

Oh, Devoit. I didn't mean it like that, and any new perspective would be quite welcome.
smile.gif
I love discussing the book. It's just that I'm right in the middle of final exams. :x

------------------

mad.gif
mad.gif
SPOILER INCANTATION
mad.gif
mad.gif

blush.gif
blush.gif
Spoilers for Book One ("TPotT-M)
blush.gif
blush.gif

mad.gif

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S
mad.gif

One of the things that impressed me about the techno-mages (in addition to the pain of the implants) is the *level* of concentration that they have to maintain, especially when they have a bunch of spells working in concert. From the beginning of the book, with Galen's exercise, and all the way throughout. It's easy to take "casting spells" for granted...just point the wand, and POOF. In the first book, you really gain an appreciation for the work behind what they do. Balancing concentration and control. And those implants...:
shocked.gif
!

Kitsune

------------------
"We are dreamers, shapers, singers and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things." Elric the Techno-Mage, "Geometry of Shadows"

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kitsune:
mad.gif
mad.gif
SPOILER INCANTATION
mad.gif
mad.gif

blush.gif
blush.gif
Spoilers for Book One ("TPotT-M)
blush.gif
blush.gif

mad.gif

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S
mad.gif

One of the things that impressed me about the techno-mages (in addition to the pain of the implants) is the *level* of concentration that they have to maintain, especially when they have a bunch of spells working in concert. From the beginning of the book, with Galen's exercise, and all the way throughout. It's easy to take "casting spells" for granted...just point the wand, and POOF. In the first book, you really gain an appreciation for the work behind what they do. Balancing concentration and control. And those implants...:
shocked.gif
!

Kitsune

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

About the concentration of them casting spells I got the impression that when they were learning it was allot harder but as they get more used to casting different things it becomes seconds nature..

I also got the impression that one spell one person might find it really easy to cast anotherr person would find it very difficult even impossible to learn due to the different spell langages.

Well true galen found that destructo spell and no-one else knew how to make it he only found it via his unique spell language.

It made me think that maybe some mages all through life struggle a bit(to different degrees) just due to they way they do there magic by the language they use..One mage migth have to really think about what he's doing while another just does it without really thinking..

get my meaning?

------------------
Deviot
Lincbot@yahoo.com.au

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Deviot:
About the concentration of them casting spells I got the impression that when they were learning it was allot harder but as they get more used to casting different things it becomes seconds nature..

I also got the impression that one spell one person might find it really easy to cast anotherr person would find it very difficult even impossible to learn due to the different spell langages.

Well true galen found that destructo spell and no-one else knew how to make it he only found it via his unique spell language.

It made me think that maybe some mages all through life struggle a bit(to different degrees) just due to they way they do there magic by the language they use..One mage migth have to really think about what he's doing while another just does it without really thinking..

get my meaning?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah. Galen sounds like he prefers an orderly, mathematical approach to his spells, whereas the other mages may use words, feelings, images, or senses. And speaking of Galen's destructive spell...I wonder if that's the one hr conjured up when he was going to destroy the alien from "Path of Sorrows". He was *very* angry.

Kitsune

------------------

I love Galen's spell language. I'm amazed at the simplicity of his destruction spell. It makes perfect sense.

I don't think he was casting his destruction spell in path of sorrows, for a couple of reasons.

1. It looked like he was ready to throw a ball of energy. the destruction spell doesn't look like that.

2. He seemed to be able to disspell it rather easily and quickly, once Gideon talked him into it. The other spell just doesn't seem to work that way.

3. I think there's only one thing that could make him cast that spell, and an alien lifeform that feeds on pain ain't it.

It does make sense that osme things would come easier to some mages than others, based on their spell language. Elric (and in fact Galen himself) even feared that Galen's spell language was making it difficult for him to cast things.

------------------

What was the name of the techno-mage from "Memory of War"? Realize that I did not see the episode when it aired on SFC. I vaguely remember a holographic image of him talking to Galen. Was it Elizar? Thanks in advance for helping me with this. It has been nagging me ever since I finished reading the book.

Book II looks just as good! Sounds like a few surprises are in store for Galen.

Kitsune

------------------

What was the name of the techno-mage from "Memory of War"? Realize that I did not see the episode when it aired on SFC. I vaguely remember a holographic image of him talking to Galen. Was it Elizar? Thanks in advance for helping me with this. It has been nagging me ever since I finished reading the book.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am not sure of the techno-mages name or the copy of him
smile.gif

But it was not Elizar.

------------------
Deviot
Lincbot@yahoo.com.au

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Deviot:
I am not sure of the techno-mages name or the copy of him
smile.gif

But it was not Elizar.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, Deviot. I checked with the Lurker's Guide for the episode. It said that 100 years ago, the residents of the planet enlisted the help of a technomage. Would be a tad long in the tooth for Elizar.
smile.gif

The technomage sounds like a good candidate for the Shadows,though, given the devastation that was caused by his weapon.

------------------

Thanks, Deviot. I checked with the Lurker's Guide for the episode. It said that 100 years ago, the residents of the planet enlisted the help of a technomage. Would be a tad long in the tooth for Elizar.
smile.gif

The technomage sounds like a good candidate for the Shadows,though, given the devastation that was caused by his weapon.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well yes he was a Techno-mage remeber the Techno-mage died ages ago and the thing that Galen met was a Holographic program of the techno-mage that built it.

One thing I cannot wait for book 2 of teh trilagy is because I wish ti know the true reason Elric and his fellow mage's were on babylon 5 for..was it just a diversion or what else was going on.

Jean has hinted that Elric and the mages were there for somthign else not just passing through to leave before the shadow war.

------------------
Deviot
Lincbot@yahoo.com.au

[This message has been edited by Deviot (edited April 30, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Deviot (edited April 30, 2001).]

One thing I cannot wait for book 2 of teh trilagy is because I wish ti know the true reason Elric and his fellow mage's were on babylon 5 for..was it just a diversion or what else was going on.

Jean has hinted that Elric and the mages were there for somthign else not just passing through to leave before the shadow war.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That makes sense (about not just passing thru B5 for the heck of it). They were sequestered in that area of B5, afterall. Should be interesting to see what they were there for. Galen's supposed to be going to one of the Shadow worlds and finds an interesting discovery there. Sounds like another "consuming" moment as far as the book goes.
smile.gif

------------------

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back