• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The Official BSG S3 Spoiler Thread

Well I decided to catch up on season 3- why?- because I'm a goddamn masochist, that's why.

So a bunch of major characters suddenly hear some music, recite Bob Dylan lyrics, and turn out to be Cylons.

To quote Kyle from South Park- "Shenanigans! I call Shenanigans!"

Ok, I can buy the the whole Starbuck-as-chosen to lead humans to earth bit. At least they've been leading up to it. But Tigh, the Chief and Sam as Cylons = W.... T... F = bullshit. Complete and total bullshit.

So we're supposed to believe that, what, the Cylons made transplanted an athlete, a low-level bureaucrat, the XO of an outdated and obscure battleship, and an engineer into human society?

The one thing I liked about the final two episodes was how they looked. Great production is nothing new to this show, but I was just really impressed this time around.

I'm afraid we'll hear some bit next season about how "how else do you think you (ie, Chief or Tigh or Sam) could have survived this long is you weren't a Cylon?!" or some lame-ass excuse for why they pulled this new plot-line out of their asses.

And the writers continue to be confused on what to do about Lee. A lawyer? Give me a break.

We all like shows where there is change and characters and story progress, but it would be nice if someone in this fleet could keep their job for more than two commercial breaks. Who is CAG now? Who cares?

Well, the Chief is certainly believable. He already suspected he was a Cylon, long ago, but, Brother Cavil talked him out of. Sam makes a kind of sense due to his relationship with Starbuck. Roslyn's Aide, kinda tough to imagine they planned for her to be in her position, and Saul definitely seems random. So, two out of 4 making sense isn't too bad.

I'm not actually buying that they're cylons. I much more think that the cylonds did *something* with them on New Caprica - gave them implants of some sort, or something.

Something, at least, making them pick up stray radio signals, of some sort, from earth.

Look... admittedly I haven't even seen Season 3 yet. Is it not possible they are going somewhere else with those characters. That, we and even they may believe they are cylons planted among the fleet... but actually they are something else that has been planted in the fleet by a third party... if you take my meaning.

I guess... but then that would mean they're faking us out really cheaply.

I'm not expecting season 4 to resolve this in any way that makes sense or isn't gimmicky. I'm just hoping that whatever they do leads into some decent story-telling.

I'm not actually buying that they're cylons. I much more think that the cylonds did *something* with them on New Caprica - gave them implants of some sort, or something.

Something, at least, making them pick up stray radio signals, of some sort, from earth.

Well interviews with the creator of the show state quite clearly that they are Cylons. I don't see him saying such things in interviews just to "lead people away" that is a pretty cheap thing to do and makes one lose credibility.

So I'd say yea, they are Cylons.

Yeah, I've read interviews as well where Ron Moore states "yep, they are definitely cylons." I found a great article about how he chose those four and I'm trying to find it again.

Here we go:
http://forums.scifi.com/index.php?showtopic=2271787

Snips...

MTV: How did you decide which four of your characters should be Cylons?

Moore: Some of it was a process of elimination in deciding who we wanted to make Cylons and who would make sense and who would damage the show. We quickly came to [the decision] that we didn't want it to be Adama [Edward James Olmos] or Laura [Mary McDonnell] ... there were just too many reasons not to do that. It had to make sense why it would be these people as opposed to anyone else on the series.

There were certain logical reasons for each one. Chief Tyrol [Aaron Douglas] was literally drawn to the Cylons, first personally and then for reasons he couldn't quite name, like when they got to the Algae Planet and he found the temple. Tory [Rekha Sharma] was the one we knew the least about, and yet she had been around enough that she wasn't a completely new face, so she was a bit of a wild card. Anders [Michael Trucco] had mysteriously survived the holocaust on Caprica originally and then the struggle through two resistances, and ... he was so drawn to Kara and she was so drawn to him. And since Kara had a specific destiny and a specific sort of lone play on our mythos, it felt right that Anders did too.

Tigh [Michael Hogan] was the biggest gamble. He was the one where we really had to do a lot of soul searching to make sure we were doing the right thing. You're going to lose something with the revelation that he was a Cylon, but you're also going to gain a lot too. Tigh was a very human character with deeply human flaws and weaknesses — his alcoholism, the killing of Ellen [Kate Vernon] and his friendship with Adama — and I didn't want to lose all of that amazing character stuff that we've built up. I mean, here's a guy who killed his wife because she was collaborating with the Cylons, and now he is a Cylon. What does that do to him?

Interesting stuff. I enjoy the idea of 4 new cylons, truth be told. I can't wait to see how Cally reacts to being married to a FRACKIN' TOASTER.

I can't wait to see how Cally reacts to being married to a FRACKIN' TOASTER.

The fact that she is sympathetic towards and respectful of the ideas of Baltar will make her accepting of it.

Maybe, but what if Chief seeks out Athena in order to get answers and mental stability? That would certainly make Cally a little honked off. =) Though, my instincts are with you, I think she will have a hard time at first (if she finds out anytime soon) and will come to accept it and her half-toaster baby.

Also, what's with Laura's cancer returning out of nowhere?

(Yes, Laura and I are on a first name basis, because she's the only cool character left on the show)

Also, what's with Laura's cancer returning out of nowhere?

(Yes, Laura and I are on a first name basis, because she's the only cool character left on the show)

Seconded. Though even with her, I sometimes have the feeling the authors can't decide if she's a liberal or a fascist.

I actually enjoyed the last two epsiodes as I went into it with the attitude that I would just completely ignore anything stupid they do that seems to have been "laid out" for some time. I didn't care that they'd be revealing at least one cylon, that we'd have Balthar's stupid trial, that Starbuck would be back, yadda yadda yadda. As such, I quite enjoyed it - I thought it was executed well, for once actually vaguely exciting, and had some dialogue that wasn't completely crap. And I actually got a kick out of "All Along the Watchtower".

But yeah, this season was .. pretty weak, post-New-Craprica. I can't quite decide when the pain zenith was.

Hmm, not sure about the cancer thing. At first, I thought she might be lying so she can have an excuse to take her hippie drugs. But, I think it's back. I think they're returning her to the role of "dying leader that will never see Earth." Kind of like Moses.

Not sure how they'll explain this one. Maybe that baby Hera's blood only worked for so long at fighting it? Who knows...

And the last two episodes were well-done, though I think they dragged out Baltar's trial much too long. They teased us with it the moment he came aboard Galactica. One interesting aspect of the trial (as much as I thought it plodded along) was when Baltar was released and he realized he had nowhere to go. Then his creepy cult fans showed up.

I loved the All Along the Watchtower bit.

In interviews the creators always hinted that Roslin's cancer might recurr.

I'm guessing that our new crop of Cylons aren't like the ones we came to know and hate; I'm thinking they are older somehow, although I can't say how that would be. What I loved, however, is that these four came to the conclusion that they are Cylons and then immediately went right back to their old jobs.

Interesting side note: in the S2 gag reel which was briefly on the Net but has since vanished, there was a brief joke sequence in which the titles read: "There are 12 Cylon models.Prepare to meet Number 13" -- and cut to Tigh.

What I loved, however, is that these four came to the conclusion that they are Cylons and then immediately went right back to their old jobs.

I agree, I liked that a lot as well. That also helps to establish that these "4" (and I'm assuming the 5th) are different somehow, as you mentioned. Could be interesting stuff. Sol's speech about how he will be fighting with the Galactica as he always has was great. I also liked Torri telling the Pres that she would be there if she needed her.

"My name is Saul Tigh. I am an officer in the colonial fleet. whatever else I am, whatever else it means, thats the man I want to be, and if I die today; thats the man I'll be."

Oh yeah....

And the last two episodes were well-done, though I think they dragged out Baltar's trial much too long. They teased us with it the moment he came aboard Galactica. One interesting aspect of the trial (as much as I thought it plodded along) was when Baltar was released and he realized he had nowhere to go. Then his creepy cult fans showed up.

I loved the All Along the Watchtower bit.

Baltar's trial only lasted a couple of episodes. It just felt like it dragged on too long because it was a boring story.

However, I will suggest this: from the perspective of most of the fleet, and pretty much every human except Laura and those who intrinsically believe everything she says and feels (Adama?), Baltar isn't really guilty of anything. He was considered a traitor and murderer because he did what the Cylons told him to do. But he was literally forced into it. It just so happened he was the president- which he won fairly on the platform of settling on New Caprica, a decision the majority of the people wanted anyway. Their anger at him is really a reflection of their anger at themselves for having made such a bad mistake.

Of course, we know that he assisted the Cylon destruction of the 12 colonies, but they don't know that.

Also- IIRC, it was never revealed if the Six in his head is a reflection of his own mind or some Cylon implant of some sort. Until his attempted suicide, I figured it was the former, but the one defining characteristic of Baltar is his survival instinct. He would never hang himself.

By the way, just in case anyone had any doubts: the only good cover of All Along the Watchtower is by Jimi Hendrix. I've never heard another acceptable one, including the lame-ass Starbucks soundtracky version on BSG.

From the blog of the score composer:

"I learned that the idea was not that Bob Dylan necessarily exists in the characters' universe, but that an artist on one of the colonies may have recorded a song with the exact same melody and lyrics. Perhaps this unknown performer and Dylan pulled inspiration from a common, ethereal source."

What... the... f#$%?!

"ethereal source" my big fat ass

Ok, another thing that bugs me (I must be getting really annoying): the whole Lee/Admiral Adam argument. The way the admiral accuses his son of having no integrity, after everything they've been through, came completely out of left field. Up until now their relationship was the most interesting in the show- very believable. Now it makes no sense.

From the blog of the score composer:

"I learned that the idea was not that Bob Dylan necessarily exists in the characters' universe, but that an artist on one of the colonies may have recorded a song with the exact same melody and lyrics. Perhaps this unknown performer and Dylan pulled inspiration from a common, ethereal source."

Possible Translation Matrix Results:

I was told by the producers to mix in something by an extremely well known artist as it would get everybody talking. However, to maintain the illusion that the people of Galactica don't come from a culture that was aware of Dylan, I was asked to say that it doesn't necessarily mean Dylan is a part of a distant Colonial heritage... and to say that they were inspired by the same source. What I was asked not to tell you, was that in fact the source was Dylan himself.

Trasnmission endssss. ;)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back