• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The Official BSG S3 Spoiler Thread

It is possible that the creators of BSG actually do know where they want the show to go, they just screwed up the pacing. The widely-accept general rumor is that BSG is to last 4 seasons. Assuming (admittedly a big assumption) that this is true, maybe they already knew how season 4 is supposed to end and some major milestones on the way, they just have more episodes on their hands to deal with then they knew what to do with.

In the best-case scenario, this last batch of eps will simply be the 3 or 4 DVDs we skip in the future.

I hate to drag in the Joss Whedon shows again ...

Do you? ;)

But I was thinking of Whedon's way of making shows too to be honest on this topic. While it is clear that he never planned ahead too far, the plotlines laid over the course of a season did, generally, work. Not in the epic-arc-way JMS shows work, but they worked nevertheless.

It is possible that the creators of BSG actually do know where they want the show to go, they just screwed up the pacing. The widely-accept general rumor is that BSG is to last 4 seasons. Assuming (admittedly a big assumption) that this is true, maybe they already knew how season 4 is supposed to end and some major milestones on the way, they just have more episodes on their hands to deal with then they knew what to do with.

In the best-case scenario, this last batch of eps will simply be the 3 or 4 DVDs we skip in the future.

Its possbile, I'll admit. I'm not sure about the 4 season rumor. I read an interview where he said he would have a tough time going any longer than 5 seasons at the most. So I thought his "end" would be planned for about 5 seasons.

However, if SciFi channel is getting ratings, I can see them trying to drag the show on as long as possible --- way past the point it should be (cough, SG1, cough). They could replace RDM or some of the team and keep it going with a new front office.

Although GKE. Part of my comments comes from reading interviews from RDM himself. He is the one stating he has no complete clear idea of how the show will end. He said he has a few possibilities, but isn't sure yet. And yea, these last batch of episodes have taken things in a completely different direction, and not at all a good one.

Whedon's take on it was OK, but the longer Buffy went on the less well executed it seemed (in my opinion). And, frankly, having your lead character die and come back not once, but twice, was too much for me.

In terms of arc, the perfect end for Buffy was when she killed Angel ... they just had another 5 seasons to go at that point ...:D

Part of my comments comes from reading interviews from RDM himself. He is the one stating he has no complete clear idea of how the show will end. He said he has a few possibilities, but isn't sure yet.

Well there ya go.

They need to find earth. That could fix everything.

Whedon's take on it was OK, but the longer Buffy went on the less well executed it seemed (in my opinion). And, frankly, having your lead character die and come back not once, but twice, was too much for me.

In terms of arc, the perfect end for Buffy was when she killed Angel ... they just had another 5 seasons to go at that point ...:D

Commonly-held opinions. The show did start to waver a bit but I think they held it together just fine, and tied it all up rather neatly in Season 7. And there (he said, triumphantly returning the thread to topic) the writers were strongly aided by knowing it was going to be the last season and thinking ahead. They broke out a villian they had obviously been saving for some time to be the main foe, wrapped up a certain redemption arc, brought back a few certain long-absent characters, and gave the show a fine sendoff.

And as much as lots of people hate it, I thought season 5 of Angel was one of the best Whedon seasons, ever.

With him, there were seasonal ups and downs really. Season 4 of Buffy was a down .. season 5 was an up. It differed from year to year .. but it never just started sucking, IMHO.

Exactly. And for the current BSG season, it's hard for me to say whether this is just a down moment before another up, or just suckage.

(Thing about S4 of Buffy was, the villian sucked and the arc was weak -- but some of my favorite eps ever were in there! Joss himself pointed out that S4 wasn't really very good, yet had these absolute gems in the mix...)

OK so what did everyone think of the start of the second half of the third season?

Some parts of it were a bit hoakey to me.

The thing with the temple only revealing itself when the sun went Nova felt a bit unbelievable, but if there's an explaination as to if these 13th tribe people KNEW the timing of things to be revealed later, then I'd buy it.

I'm really not sure why a temple left behind by the 13th tribe as a marker would also show the final 5 Cylons to another Cylon. This whole direction the show has taken really confuses me. I thought the idea of the temple was to find the way to Earth, which so far it didn't do although we are getting clues Starbuck may be able to figure something out. Still its odd a temple built by ancient humans would be able to show current-day Cylons who the final 5 Cylons were, something the 13th tribe wouldn't know about (that we have been shown now anyway). Still, really confusing.

I'm glad Sharon went and got the baby back. Its also going to be interesting to see Baltar and Six captured and on the Galactica. Here's a question: Why wouldn't they just execute the guy on the spot? If anyone is guilty its him, and why would they put up with his crap anymore at this point? I really hope they off him --- would be the right thing to do story wise --- but I don't see it happening.

The whole Duall/Sam/Lee/Kara thing...I just don't care.

I thought it interesting they are "boxing up" Xena's line of Cylons. Its almost like she found something critical out, and no one wants to hear it so they are shutting her up. I'm sure we will find out something about these "final 5" but its interesting they are done listening to her. She also recognized one of them and it was someone important, or so it seemed.

Lastly, its funny how the Cylons seem to become more human as the shows go on. All the infighting, killing each other, now silencing an entire line of Cylons, that's the sort of thing you would expect from humans. :) Its funny how far they seemed to have been sliding...

OK so what did everyone think of the start of the second half of the third season?

I think the first two seasons of the show were very good. And that when I move into my new apt next week I won't order cable and won't really be missing the sci-fi channel at all.

Smarmy asshole answers aside, now Starbuck is a messianic character- did that just come out of left field? My sister remembers Leobadin (sp?- the crazy blonde Cylon guy that kept her in his weird domestic prison on New Caprica) insisted that she "has a destiny." That's pretty vague and I never even cared for Zathras himself to begin with anyway.

Six is on the cover of this month's issue of Playboy.

Dee and Chief's wife used to be cool characters and now they're the most obnoxious people on TV. When did that start?- when they got married! So credit to BSG for being surprisingly realistic in some respects.
(And yes, I know Starbuck is also married and she still kicks ass, but she's only married technically).

I wonder who the cylon is--someone Deanna had to apologize to apparently.

I don't think Starbuck is messianic. She just has a destiny, according to Leoben. I don't think she's one of the remaining 5 cylons. Why would Leoben be so interested in breeding with her? Why would they take her eggs from the farm?

I'm curious what they'll do the Baltar now. =) Wonder if he's got amnesty uder President Roslyn's order to give all members of the human race a break after they fled New Caprica.

I'm really not sure why a temple left behind by the 13th tribe as a marker would also show the final 5 Cylons to another Cylon. This whole direction the show has taken really confuses me. I thought the idea of the temple was to find the way to Earth, which so far it didn't do although we are getting clues Starbuck may be able to figure something out. Still its odd a temple built by ancient humans would be able to show current-day Cylons who the final 5 Cylons were, something the 13th tribe wouldn't know about (that we have been shown now anyway). Still, really confusing.

I just had a thought.

"All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again."

At first I took that to mean history has a way of repeating itself... but what if the whole BSG universe ends up being a bit of circular thing like Sinclair/Valen. What if the 13 tribe know everything that has happened because they had a more accurate record of human history (even more accvurate than the cylons). What if they left for Earth because they knew that one day the colonies would have to look for somewhere to go after the cylon attack. However when they reach Earth they go into decline and gradually build themselves back up... as our history has progressed, eventually Earth becomes a highly advanced civilisation. The tales of the thirteenth colony lead both humanity and cylon to Earth for a final stand. Then when the cylon threat is gone, and generations passed after Galactica reaches a future Earth. Humanity decides to found a colony in deep space. They cross a rift that leads them to the past and found Kobol many millennia ago. The cycle begins anew.

Its probably a naff way to go, but it would explain the similariries to past human political power structures, technology and culture.

now Starbuck is a messianic character- did that just come out of left field? My sister remembers Leobadin (sp?- the crazy blonde Cylon guy that kept her in his weird domestic prison on New Caprica) insisted that she "has a destiny."
No, there have been hints of that going back to the first season. The cylon-telling-Starbuck-she-has-a-destiny routine goes back to when she was interogating him on Galactica in S1. Plus, although I can't quote any passages right now, it seems like we've heard some snippets of Colonies scripture quotes that could be interpreted as Starbuck being a significant figure in their prophecies since she was the one who retrieved the "Arrow of Athena" (or whatever that exact name was) and one or two other things.

And the painting in her apartment thing was caught by some people before Helo pointed it out, ..... back in the latter part of the first half of the season, when we first found that temple. I saw discussion of that posted in a BSG thread of a Farscape board that I sometimes visit. (I had not remembered the painting myself.)

So the painting was there? That's not a retcon? Wow. They reached back a ways for that.

I was not blown away by it the way I was floored by "Pegasus," but it was a good ep. I liked the "hiding in plain sight" thing with the temple -- beats the heck out of what I was envisioning. Again a bit awkward that all the main characters made it out alive, but what are you going to do? Even B5 didn't give many characters the axe.

And of course they didn't reveal the final five Cylons to us, although it's very interesting that Three/D'Anna/Xena felt the need to apologize. Who has she offended? It's almost as if she saw a human.

As for the temple revealing things to Cylons... the religious element has always been playing a double role. After all, back in S1 Baltar's Six and the priestess used the same scripture to confirm that Baltar and Roslin, respectively, was the Chosen One, and it worked both ways.

Now I'm intrigued. I believe I will keep watching.

I've suspected that the big reveal will be something in the way of what Galahad is guessing- some wacky time looping/traveling nonsense.

Yeah, the painting Starbuck did was in season 2 when she and Helo went to her place. Someone on the BSG boards uncovered that a few weeks ago and I was suprised that they actually followed through on it.

I think one of the 5 remaining cylons IS someone we know (a human.) There was a trailer:

one will find earth
one will die
one will be a cylon

or such... so, it's someone, we just aren't sure who.

I'm also interested in what's going to happen to 6 now that there's a copy of her on Galactica. Wondering which 6 it is.

I'm also interested in what's going to happen to 6 now that there's a copy of her on Galactica. Wondering which 6 it is.

It's gotta be the one that's been with Baltar the whole season so far.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back