• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The No Speculation Thread - News Posts Only Please

Re: Newsonly: JMS giving B5 movie a rest

Exactly. The B5/Crusade cast can, in most cases, reprise their roles, but as time goes on, that becomes less and less possible. That's why this "best to let it rest for a year or two, then see what happens. " and "it's best to just take a breather for a bit. Besides, there are other fish in need of frying now, and I have to turn my attention to them." stuff, like there's all the time in the world, gets me so pissed off. :mad: His other fish are minnows, and the 300 lb. tuna (the B5/Crusade universe, not just the movie) is the one that needs the attention.

There are too many burnt fingers at the moment. Let them heal. Then allow "If I was doing it I would have ...." to come into play. Following that is a good time to resurrect the project.

Burnt fingers?... on whose hands?

JMS's because Warner Brothers would not support (fund) the project?

The others investors, because they couldn't make B5:TMoS work?

Those of the Crusade cast and Crusade writers and production team, because of how Crusade was treated?

Those of the Sci-Fi Channel, Universal and Warner Brothers because the Rangers pilot didn't do well enough to go to series, and no shared ownership deal could be worked out?

It's beginning to look like a bona fide B5 spinoff curse, like no B5 spinoff can succeed, so why think about it? (thinking from a studio's POV). That's got to be turned around, and the sooner the better.

The B5/Crusade universe needs a HIT show, novel series and/or movie SOON. Something's got to revitalize interest. All the worthwhile (IMHO, :devil:) DVDs are out now, and interest will fall off. There have been no more Crusade DVD Set reviews at Amazon since February 4, 2005, and that reviewer had his head so far up his a** he could probably see his tonsils. :p :mad: :mad: :mad:

Crusade - The Complete Series (1999)

I agree with JDM fully. You also have to all realize that though we, as fans, strongly desire more B5, more done now...JMS does not subscribe to such thinking.

Though B5 is his child, his genius...in his eyes, it is not everything, even though the fans think it should be.

I respect that.

That said, I also agree that this is the right time to strike for B5...though no one can say what the future may hold, so such a statement, admittedly, is superfluous.

B5 will continue when the time is right, when it happens and when JMS feels the muse gnawing at his gut for it once more.

And if he doesn't feel that universe calling him strongly, then I don't want him doing anything with it, since his heart won't be as much in it. I speak on that as a writer, myself. If the heart ain't in it, it ain't gonna be as good.

After all he's been through (and yes, he's been through a lot trying to get TMoS made only to have it fail), then I can understand his need to step away for a time. I'm certain he is and was very distraught over its failure. You don't invest yourself into something as much as he did TMoS only to watch it fall apart and not feel emotionally harmed and drained in some way.

Give him time to lick his wounds, so when he does come out fighting again, he has the strength to win next time.

He's made it clear he does want to and will return to the B5 universe. But we all know JMS...he'll do it his way and in his own time, and nothing we say will change that.

So...sit back, enjoy what we have, watch whatever new series this is he'll be showrunning (which I'm certain will be wonderful), and be patient. Good things come to those who wait. The Trek folks waited for ten years and through several incarnations...we have only been through two spin-offs and one incarnation in seven years.

"The universe will unfold as it should."

CE

The B5/Crusade universe needs a HIT show, novel series and/or movie SOON. Something's got to revitalize interest.

I think "need" is putting it strongly. The heart and soul of the B5 universe, the 5-year-run, is finished. That's the important thing, and thanks to the DVD releases those 5 years will never be lost to us.

It would be great to see more. Is it necessary for our survival, or vital for the greater good of humanity? Probably not.

Exactly. The B5/Crusade cast can, in most cases, reprise their roles, but as time goes on, that becomes less and less possible. That's why this "best to let it rest for a year or two, then see what happens. " and "it's best to just take a breather for a bit. Besides, there are other fish in need of frying now, and I have to turn my attention to them." stuff, like there's all the time in the world, gets me so pissed off. :mad: His other fish are minnows, and the 300 lb. tuna (the B5/Crusade universe, not just the movie) is the one that needs the attention.

There are too many burnt fingers at the moment. Let them heal. Then allow "If I was doing it I would have ...." to come into play. Following that is a good time to resurrect the project.

Burnt fingers?... on whose hands?

JMS's because Warner Brothers would not support (fund) the project?

The others investors, because they couldn't make B5:TMoS work?

Those of the Crusade cast and Crusade writers and production team, because of how Crusade was treated?

Those of the Sci-Fi Channel, Universal and Warner Brothers because the Rangers pilot didn't do well enough to go to series, and no shared ownership deal could be worked out?

It's beginning to look like a bona fide B5 spinoff curse, like no B5 spinoff can succeed, so why think about it? (thinking from a studio's POV). That's got to be turned around, and the sooner the better.

The B5/Crusade universe needs a HIT show, novel series and/or movie SOON. Something's got to revitalize interest. All the worthwhile (IMHO, :devil:) DVDs are out now, and interest will fall off. There have been no more Crusade DVD Set reviews at Amazon since February 4, 2005, and that reviewer had his head so far up his a** he could probably see his tonsils. :p :mad: :mad: :mad:

Crusade - The Complete Series (1999)

I wrote a new letter on my own this week & sent it to Warners'. I basically said that I couldn't understand why a new B5 project always seems to be doomed. I reminded them about the DVD sales. I want WB to try again where B5 is concerned because if Firefly can get a film, why can't B5? I am not asking others to write another letter. I just wanted to do this on my own.

Tammy

Well, apologies to JDM, but if it came down to a choice between reprisal, revival, remake or nothing.. I'd choose.. revival. I should clarify that I don't want to see a Galactica style remake, with roles recast and the continuity torn up and rewritten, because I think we'd all agree that wouldn't work for B5..

Reprisal has been the route pursued so far, with familiar actors reprising their roles in some form as in TMOS, or a spin-off show forming a sideline or continuation of the B5 5-year arc and featuring cameos.. But that's been attempted 3 times now and failed miserably (though not on quality) and in the last case the sheer unacceptability of recasting the original roles seemed to be the sticking point.. While it would be very cool if a reprisal could still be done, I feel the time for this to happen and be successful was immediately after the series finished, or very shortly thereafter (and I don't think the Trek model of waiting 16 years and then enjoying huge success with blockbuster movies necessarily applies these days, or that it would work for B5..)

I would personally *like* to see something new and daring attempted with the B5 universe, not more of the same. That's a very personal viewpoint, and I know its not what everyone wants.. I know JMS is not currently thinking this way.. But I do think it will happen. And if it takes 25 years.. Well, that's what it takes.. :)

I agree with JDM fully. You also have to all realize that though we, as fans, strongly desire more B5, more done now...JMS does not subscribe to such thinking.

Though B5 is his child, his genius...in his eyes, it is not everything, even though the fans think it should be.

I respect that.

That said, I also agree that this is the right time to strike for B5...though no one can say what the future may hold, so such a statement, admittedly, is superfluous.

B5 will continue when the time is right, when it happens and when JMS feels the muse gnawing at his gut for it once more.

And if he doesn't feel that universe calling him strongly, then I don't want him doing anything with it, since his heart won't be as much in it. I speak on that as a writer, myself. If the heart ain't in it, it ain't gonna be as good.

After all he's been through (and yes, he's been through a lot trying to get TMoS made only to have it fail), then I can understand his need to step away for a time. I'm certain he is and was very distraught over its failure. You don't invest yourself into something as much as he did TMoS only to watch it fall apart and not feel emotionally harmed and drained in some way.

Give him time to lick his wounds, so when he does come out fighting again, he has the strength to win next time.

He's made it clear he does want to and will return to the B5 universe. But we all know JMS...he'll do it his way and in his own time, and nothing we say will change that.

So...sit back, enjoy what we have, watch whatever new series this is he'll be showrunning (which I'm certain will be wonderful), and be patient. Good things come to those who wait. The Trek folks waited for ten years and through several incarnations...we have only been through two spin-offs and one incarnation in seven years.

CE

<font color="orange"> "Babylon 5 was the last of the Babylon stations. There would never be another. It changed the future .. and it changed us. It taught us that we have to create the future .. or others will do it for us. It showed us that we have care for one another, because if we don't, who will? And that true strength sometimes comes from the most unlikely places. Mostly, though, I think it gave us hope .. that there can always be new beginnings .. even for people like us."
-- General Ivanova in Babylon 5:"Sleeping in Light"</font>

It taught us that we have to create the future .. or others will do it for us.

That's diametrically opposed to "The universe will unfold as it should."

We've been patient for going on SIX YEARS. The time for patience is past.

If the Crusade story is not wrapped up/fixed in the near future, it's not going to happen at all. What he'll be showrunning in 2006, will do nothing but suck away his time from doing anything re. the Crusade storyline. At a time when he needs to be focused on the B5 universe, he's being diverted. This is exactly what doesn't need to happen.

I swear to God, it's as if the powers that be see him turning his attention to a B5 universe or Crusade related project and say to themselves, "No, that just won't do. We've got to find a way to f*ck this up."

Fine, Powers That Be, you win. I quit. My supply of patience has run out. That tank is bone dry. I can no longer keep watch here or elsewhere, hoping that somehow, someway, the ragged, truncated pieces of the B5 universe will find resolution. Enough!

edit: Not news so I deleted it. Sorry. Move along. Nothing to see here. :eek:

KoshN, you can share my wine (or whine) while we wait.

edit: Not news so I deleted it. Sorry. Move along. Nothing to see here. :eek:

KoshN, you can share my wine (or whine) while we wait.

No wine (or whine) for me. Sitting here munching on 10 penny nails. :mad:

I respect that.

CE

<font color="orange"> "Babylon 5 was the last of the Babylon stations. There would never be another. It changed the future .. and it changed us. It taught us that we have to create the future .. or others will do it for us. It showed us that we have care for one another, because if we don't, who will? And that true strength sometimes comes from the most unlikely places. Mostly, though, I think it gave us hope .. that there can always be new beginnings .. even for people like us."
-- General Ivanova in Babylon 5:"Sleeping in Light"</font>

It taught us that we have to create the future .. or others will do it for us.

That's diametrically opposed to "The universe will unfold as it should."

We've been patient for going on SIX YEARS. The time for patience is past.

If the Crusade story is not wrapped up/fixed in the near future, it's not going to happen at all. What he'll be showrunning in 2006, will do nothing but suck away his time from doing anything re. the Crusade storyline. At a time when he needs to be focused on the B5 universe, he's being diverted. This is exactly what doesn't need to happen.

I swear to God, it's as if the powers that be see him turning his attention to a B5 universe or Crusade related project and say to themselves, "No, that just won't do. We've got to find a way to f*ck this up."

Fine, Powers That Be, you win. I quit. My supply of patience has run out. That tank is bone dry. I can no longer keep watch here or elsewhere, hoping that somehow, someway, the ragged, truncated pieces of the B5 universe will find resolution. Enough!

Sorry you feel that way...I never will. I am extremely grateful for what we have in the B5 universe. It is a series that changed me, enlightened me, and moved me unlike anything before. And for that I will never be able to thank JMS, cast and crew enough.

Anything new is cake...and I want it done right, not half-assed.

As for JMS needing to do something now...somehow, I don't think JMS takes orders from any of us. We are not the ones to direct his life, his career, or his dreams. That resides solely in his own hands, and I for one will be excited to get anything his vision and passion can carry forward, because I know it will make me think, feel, and will move me.

You've also obviously missed the point to Ivanova's final speech...sorry to hear that.

The Minbari beliefs were very Zen in nature and so the concept behind, "The Universe will unfold as it should," is not contradictory and can walk hand-in-hand with, "It taught us that we have to create the future .. or others will do it for us."

If you cannot see that they are not really diametrically opposed, then perhaps, you need to seek further enlightenment and stop thinking that B5 and the universe live and breathe by your wishes and commands.

I'm not trying to be mean or rude...just trying to get you to calm down and realize that just because you want or think something, doesn't make it so.

CE

Sorry you feel that way...I never will. I am extremely grateful for what we have in the B5 universe. It is a series that changed me, enlightened me, and moved me unlike anything before. And for that I will never be able to thank JMS, cast and crew enough.
What does that have to do with anything that I said? You're talking about the past, and I'm talking about the future. I'm looking forward toward the resolution of B5 universe threads that have been macheted off and left to dangle for the rest of time unless somebody comes along and ties them up.

Anything new is cake...and I want it done right, not half-assed.
It seems like anything new has "half-assed" imposed upon it by those not knowledgable w.r.t. B5 (e.g. studio suits, MBAs, etc.).

As for JMS needing to do something now...
??? Who said JMS needed something to do now? I said the B5 universe needs (needs something to reinvigorate interest), not "JMS needs."

...somehow, I don't think JMS takes orders from any of us.
So who said he did?

We are not the ones to direct his life, his career, or his dreams.
So who said we are?

That resides solely in his own hands, and I for one will be excited to get anything his vision and passion can carry forward, because I know it will make me think, feel, and will move me.
I am talking about the B5 universe and by that I mean B5 universe stories (in whatever format we can get) like Crusade.

You've also obviously missed the point to Ivanova's final speech...sorry to hear that.

The Minbari beliefs were very Zen in nature and so the concept behind, "The Universe will unfold as it should," is not contradictory and can walk hand-in-hand with, "It taught us that we have to create the future .. or others will do it for us."
That all depends upon some people taking the active approach, and not just sitting back and passively saying "The Universe will unfold as it should."

If you cannot see that they are not really diametrically opposed,
Active and passive are opposites.

... then perhaps, you need to seek further enlightenment and stop thinking that B5 and the universe live and breathe by your wishes and commands.
??? By what incredible stretch of the imagination did you come to the conclusion that I think that B5 and the universe live and breathe by my wishes and commands? If they did, things would be VASTLY different.

If things did bend to my wishes and commands:
<ul type="square">[*] Del Rey would have advertised the B5 trilogies, and provided store displays and other marketing materials, instead of having them come out as stealth books .
[*] Crusade would be re-started, new episodes would be written and filmed, and TNT problem bits would removed to make a coherent first season, and it'd be renewed through Season 5.
[*] New, canon, B5 novels would be coming out this year.
[*] Warner Brothers would have financed a medium budget B5:TMoS, and it would have starred the B5 and Crusade casts wherever JMS wanted to use them.
[*] All of the above would be fairly heavily advertised on Network TV (e.g. CBS, NBC and ABC) as well as the more "niche" channels (e.g. Sci-Fi), and in mainstream print ads. (magazines and newspapers).
[*] There are several other TV shows that would be back in production with full studio and network backing, e.g. The Agency, Boomtown, Brimstone, Firefly, John Doe, Keen Eddie, Peacemakers, Special Unit 2, Strange Luck, The Tick (live action), and Wonderfalls.
[/list]

I'm not trying to be mean or rude...just trying to get you to calm down and realize that just because you want or think something, doesn't make it so.
Indeed, LOL, because if I want something it virtually guarantees that it will not happen.

Indeed, LOL, because if I want something it virtually guarantees that it will not happen.

Then I have one suggestion for you, stop wanting anything, that has to do with B5, since it appears your wanting it, is why we keep getting the shaft
/tongue in cheek :p

... then perhaps, you need to seek further enlightenment and stop thinking that B5 and the universe live and breathe by your wishes and commands.
??? By what incredible stretch of the imagination did you come to the conclusion that I think that B5 and the universe live and breathe by my wishes and commands? If they did, things would be VASTLY different.

If things did bend to my wishes and commands:
<ul type="square">[*] Del Rey would have advertised the B5 trilogies, and provided store displays and other marketing materials, instead of having them come out as stealth books .
[*] Crusade would be re-started, new episodes would be written and filmed, and TNT problem bits would removed to make a coherent first season, and it'd be renewed through Season 5.
[*] New, canon, B5 novels would be coming out this year.
[*] Warner Brothers would have financed a medium budget B5:TMoS, and it would have starred the B5 and Crusade casts wherever JMS wanted to use them.
[*] All of the above would be fairly heavily advertised on Network TV (e.g. CBS, NBC and ABC) as well as the more "niche" channels (e.g. Sci-Fi), and in mainstream print ads. (magazines and newspapers).
[*] There are several other TV shows that would be back in production with full studio and network backing, e.g. The Agency, Boomtown, Brimstone, Firefly, John Doe, Keen Eddie, Peacemakers, Special Unit 2, Strange Luck, The Tick (live action), and Wonderfalls.
[/list]

Well if I get a vote, then I'd like to see B5 and the universe give a shot at living and breathing by KoshN's wishes and commands.

I think you only said that in order to use the word, "Superflous." It is a cool word though.

”There is a greater darkness than
the one we fight.
It is the darkness of the soul that
has lost its way.
The war we fight is not against
powers and principalities, it is against
chaos and despair.

Greater than the death
of flesh is the death of hope,
the death of dreams.
Against this peril we
can never surrender.

The future is all around us,
waiting in moments of transition,
to be born in moments of revelation.

No one knows the shape
of that future, or where it will take us.
We know only that it is
always born in pain.”

We all know who said this. Though it'd be approprite quote for know...

On that note, since this project is dead, I hereby nominate that we "un-sticky" this thread so it can quietly slip into the abyss...much like TMOS did.

Back