• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The Illusion of Truth

OK, so I'm working my way through my S4 DVDs, and I just watched this episode again. I've always been puzzled by this episode...it seemed to me very similar to Season Two's "And Now for a Word" and I wondered why the ever pragmatic JMS would "waste" an episode in such a way, especially in the more streamlined, focussed Season 4.

This time, though, while watching it, I picked up on a few things that I had missed before...

the main one was this; during the conversation with Sheridan, Randall says that the some journalists know whats going on, and are basically playing the system trying to slip a little truth in here and there. This convinces Sheridan. Then, obviously, the truth is distorted, and we are left with "that look" on Sheridans face when he switches the screen off.

But something I never picked up on before was that earlier in the episode, (or it may have even been in the previous ep, "epiphanies") Sheridan mentions that he has no idea whats going on with his family.

During Randall's broadcast, he mentions that Sheridans father is missing, and the farm has burned down. While not exatcly good news, this is at least some news, and so of interest to Sheridan.

So, to some degree, Randall kept his word, and got a message of sorts to Sheridan. Sheridan's reaction, consequently, is presumably not purely because of the lies and propaganda on ISN, but also because he now knows his father is in trouble.

Maybe nothing groundbreaking there, but it really changed my opinion of what I had previously considered a redundant episode.

VB

I see "The Illusion of Truth" as a counterpoint to "And Now For a Word", to show us how ISN has become Clark's propaganda machine. We see what the characters said and how it was twisted to serve Clark's purposes. It also backs up the comment made by Bester in the previous episode "Epiphanies" that Clark is going to step up his actions to take out Babylon 5 by using all the (non-military) forces at his disposal.

Yes, that's an interesting observation. I hadn't thought of it in that way before. I'm still not convinced that Randall really had any good intentions, because the fact that his piece WAS a hatchet job could have been made apparent to the sharp-eyed, while satisfying his bosses, I'd bet. But it is possible he was one of those who went along with Clarke, hoping to let out bits of truth, as he said.

How "sharp eyed" of a viewer did you have in mind?

In the interview with Sheridan and Delenn, Randall's side of the conversation is generally shot in a different room with slightly different ambient lighting and noise. If this is noticed it should alert the viewer to the likelyhood that they are not seeing the conversation as it took place, and that Sheridan's and Delenn's comments may very well be in response to completely different questions than the ones shown in the broadcast.

That said, I think that Randall was indeed going along with Clarke's wishes for ISN.

I also never thought that the two ISN were redundant. Taken together they show changes in conditions, policies, and attitudes (of at least some) back on Earth in a much more direct and tangible (not mention more interesting from a dramatic POV) way than having some visitor (Bester?) just tell us that things have changed.

I think you're misinterpreting the message about Sheridan's pops. He's telling Sheridan that Clark is hunting his father down. It's a way of intimidating him that only Sheridan will understand without it coming across that way to the viewers.

This episode is one of my favorites, as I'm a particularly big fan of the episodes that look at things from a unique perspective. Where "And Now For A Word" was about a "normal" reporting job, where the journalists are out to find weaknesses and sensationalist items (and she and that skeptical senator she interviewed did actually raise some rational objections to B5), "The Illusion of Truth" is about distortion. Journalism vs propaganda.

I just love how they got that Harvard professor to talk about Minbari war syndrome. It's details like that which made it really great.

I think you're misinterpreting the message about Sheridan's pops. He's telling Sheridan that Clark is hunting his father down. It's a way of intimidating him that only Sheridan will understand without it coming across that way to the viewers.

This is how I've always interpreted the inclusion of information about Sheridan's father in the "broadcast."

This chapter is just wonderful, and it shows how the press can become the "fourth power" (as you may know in democracy the other powers are: Justice, Legislative and Presidency). Press can manipulate public opinion.

Actually I can see an exact situation going on in the US. Fox News, CNN, ABC, etc... Are hiding news in order to keep the american society way from some terrible lies made by G.Bush and his gang.

Do not listen to President Clark (ups...Bush) propaganda.
;) ;)

Yep. I always thought that the unspoken message of the show was delivered by Sheridan and Delenn, not by Randall. Randall was a political hack, obeying the orders of other political hacks. Knowing that was highly likely the case, Sheridan still allowed "the enemy" and chance to see behind the curtain, in the mere hope that the thousand-to-one shot would pay off and Randall would prove to be honest and would actually deliver the message he promised.

The episode tell you how much Sheridan wants to avoid having to spill blood to retake earth. He would rather face the near-certainty of looking the fool than pass up ANY chance to stir up righteous anger against EarthGov.

One wonders what job Randall got after Sheridan returned.

Only join someone else’s knife in the back party if you can be certain the person you are attacking will be eliminated. Fail and you are a revenge target.

There is one more aspect.

If the quality of a lie is brought down... making the lie recognizable... does its effect not change towards the opposite?

Whoever commissioned a shoddy job of forgery on Delenn's and Sheridan's interview... and perhaps Randall himself... was either incompetent... or attaching to said work a label of caution and doubt.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back