• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The Daily Show

Last night's ep was a mostly clip-show place-holder, "Midway to the Election Spectacular," because they can only "cover" the previous day at the convention. So they should be talking about the Giullianni and McCain speeches tonight.

The way he ended the week was excellent: he said that Kerry outlined his vision for America and next month Bush will do his. "Watch both then.. turn off the TV. Think about and make up your mind. Don't listen to this guy. Or this guy. Definitely not this guy..." etc, while headshots of various TV pundits popped up on the screen.

Wish I could have seen that one! :LOL: There are lots of pundits who would fit "Don't listen to this guy. Or this guy. Definitely not this guy..." for me.

"George W. Bush: Words Speak Louder Than Actions"

There are no words for how much I love this show. I love that Bush's words are fighting The Facts. Brilliant!

Also:
invite.jpg

Is anyone else reading "America the Book", the Daily Shows' book? It's a textbook, fake obviously, about American democracy. One of my favorite parts was the media section which started with a rant on not calling bs anymore than on the next page started again with a note from the editor apologizing for the outburst. Good times, quite funny.

If I could get my hands on that for free or real cheap, I'll check it out.

Daily Show audience smarter than O'Reilly's :)

I really, really, really hate that guy.

O'Reilly:"You know what's really frightening?" O'Reilly said. "You actually have an influence on this presidential election. That is scary, but it's true. You've got stoned slackers watching your dopey show every night and they can vote."

I agree with you, GKarsEye. What's scary is that O'Reilly might have an influence on this presidential election. :eek: O'Reilly's abrasive, rude, and talks out of his ass, and when he's caught on something, "It's a joke."

If I could get my hands on that for free or real cheap, I'll check it out.

Daily Show audience smarter than O'Reilly's :)

I really, really, really hate that guy.

:LOL:

O.K. Item #1: Old Mighty has corrupted me. :eek:

I am not seeking out the Daily Show. Thank goodness it's shown at a time for employed early-morning-wimps (i.e. 7 p.m. Pacific time at least in this half of the year for Arizona...)

Comedy Central also touted a recent study by the University of Pennsylvania's National Annenberg Election Survey, which said young viewers of "The Daily Show" were more likely to answer questions about politics correctly than those who don't.

Comedy Central had no statistics on how many people watch "The Daily Show" stoned.

Although seemingly taken aback by repeated "stoned slackers" references while talking with O'Reilly, Stewart was ready with a joke.

"This election is going to rely on the undecided," he said. "And who is more undecided than stoned slackers? Ice cream or pretzels? Ice cream or pretzels? What's it going to be?

Actually their bit on (Sorry, was it South Carolina's?) "mini-bottle law" that I found gut-hurting laugh-causing.

Not the story (which is "cry-able" more than "laugh-able") but the interview techniques used.

Old Mighty, you have corrupted me. :LOL:

O.K. Item #2:
Crank Yankers. (A show that follows "The Daily Show" later in the evening.)

I have tried for a very VERY long time to avoid this show. I have no wish whatsoever to find it funny in any way, shape, or form.

:eek:

It is distasteful to find anything funny in this show. :eek:

I spotted these two news bits in yesterday's Studiobriefing over at imdb.com

Comedy Central Unspins O'Reilly

Determined not to be caught up in a spin zone created by Fox News Channel's Bill O'Reilly, Comedy Central on Monday refuted O'Reilly's assertion that the audience for the network's The Daily Show was composed of "stoned slackers." The channel extracted data from Nielsen Media Research to indicate that Daily Show host Jon Stewart's viewers are more likely to have completed college than O'Reilly's. O'Reilly made his remarks when Stewart appeared on his show a few weeks ago. "You know what's really frightening?" O'Reilly said. "You actually have an influence on this presidential election. That is scary, but it's true. You've got stoned slackers watching your dopey show every night and they can vote." O'Reilly is due to face the slackers directly when he appears on Stewart's show on Oct. 7.

'Daily Show' Viewers Among Best Informed Voters

Concerns that people who receive their political information from late-night comedy shows may not be adequately familiar with the issues in order to vote knowledgeably appeared to be laid to rest Monday by a study conducted by the University of Pennsylvania's National Annenberg Election Survey. In a poll conducted between July 15 and Sept. 19, nearly 20,000 young adults were asked six questions about the presidential candidates' stands on various issues. Those who watched no late-night comedy shows answered 2.62 questions correctly. David Letterman's viewers answered 2.91; Jay Leno,'s 2.95; and Jon Stewart's (The Daily Show) 3.59. The results for Stewart appeared particularly striking to the pollsters, who noted that his viewers "have higher campaign knowledge than national news viewers and newspaper readers."

It's disturbing when the viewers of a comedy satire show have a better understanding of politics then those that watch regular news.

Latest posts

Members online

Back