• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

That freaky word in the promo

Thank you, Gus! A lot of people have been trying to figure out what the word is.

At least it wasn't "Shatner"...grrrrr...
smile.gif

Tammy

------------------

Hey you guys are lucky, because of the temporary connection and computer I have now all I got was the audio and a seriously screwed up video. Oh, and don't bad mouth the Shat.

------------------
Bus
"Authorities say the phony pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and increadibly foul mouth." Kent Brockman

I think you're all making too big a deal over this one word. And you're thinking in the wrong direction. Instead of trying to translate alien syllables, let's just think of what the Rangers would probably be sworn to. The answer to this is pretty obviously some kind of Ranger code of honor. You know, something about "we live for the One, we die for the One," "we are born in starlight," "we don't run away from a fight," something like that.

If we still do want to play linguist, what does the word "Entilzha" mean. I know I misspelled it, I'm bad at spelling non-English words. I thought Entilzha meant "Ranger One".

------------------
Peace be with you

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John:
If we still do want to play linguist, what does the word "Entilzha" mean. I know I misspelled it, I'm bad at spelling non-English words. I thought Entilzha meant "Ranger One".
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your spelling's not bad, except an apostrophe is needed between the second & third syllables..

Entil'zha

BTW, I was under that impression myself, that entil'zha meant "Ranger One", as in Sinclair, then Delenn, then Sheridan, and finally Ivanova in SiL.

Someone correct us both if we're wrong, please!

------------------
The Corps is Mother.
The Corps is Father.

LungbarrowHall@aol.com

I'm still confused about the Entil'zha thing myself. But I am sure that Anla'shok'na is Ranger one, and Entil'zha is definitely similar, but not quite the same. It's been talked about before on other threads.

------------------
Sheridan: Are you trying to cheer me up?
Ivanova: No sir, wouldn't dream of it.
Sheridan: Good, I hate being cheered up. It's depressing.
Ivanova: So in that case we're all going to die horrible, painful, lingering deaths.
Sheridan: Thank you, I feel so much better now.

This is gone into in the (out of print) novel To Dream in the City of Sorrows. Anlashok'na means "Ranger One" and that is the title of the leader of the Rangers. Valen, the first Anlashok'na, was also given the title, "Entil'zha", which means, "The One who Builds (or Brings) the Future."

After Valen's passing no Anlashok'na was given the title of Entil'Zha until several months after Sinclair arrived on Minbar and assumed command of the Rangers. The title then passed to Delenn. It will pass to one more person before the end of the story, and then fall into disuse again. Every Entil'Zha is also Ranger One, but fewer than a handful of Rangers One are ever Entil'Zha.

And we're not trying to translate alien syllables in a vacuum here. JMS has posted specific meanings for some of them, and if he is building words out of them they must mean something. "Zha", for instance, means "future." It appears not only in "Entil'Zha" but in "Isil'zha" - the name of the Ranger's jewelled emblem.

It also appears (in "broken" form) in Z'ha'dum, a name the carries the sense of "no future" or "the death of the future." Similarly Anlashok is translated as "Rangers" (meaning the Minbari see a similarity in function between their elite troops and people like the guys who climbed the cliffs at Pont du'Hoc on D-Day.) Since Anlashok'na means "Ranger One" the "na" clearly means "one."

Besides, what else do we have to do besides examining the trailer frame-by-frame. It isn't like there's been much other news for the past few days.
laugh.gif

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Similarly Anlashok is translated as "Rangers" (meaning the Minbari see a similarity in function between their elite troops and people like the guys who climbed the cliffs at Pont du'Hoc on D-Day.) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or, it could equally be a nod to the Texas Rangers. JMS could even be a secret fan of "The Lone Ranger".
blush.gif

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.
Shall we exchange Recipes?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> JMS could even be a secret fan of "The Lone Ranger". <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"We stand alone on the bridge, and no one may pass."

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> At least it wasn't Shatner" ...grrrrr...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tammy, don't feel TOO much relief. JMS is perfectly capable of introducing a Minbari phrase like "Sha't'ner" that means something like "despoiler of innocent women".
tongue.gif

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bakana:
Or, it could equally be a nod to the Texas Rangers. JMS could even be a secret fan of "The Lone Ranger".
blush.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>He's noted that he decided upon the name while doing research for his breif tenure on Walker, Texas Ranger.

Well, have you noticed that in Season 1, whenever Sinclair rings the 'doorbell' to someone's quarters, the tune is the Lone Ranger theme. Two examples that come to mind: When Sinclair visits Delenn at the end of 'Sky', and when he visits G'Kar in 'Chrysalis'.

And jms said: "The Rangers actually owe more to the Lone Ranger and the Texas Rangers in general."

------------------
vakie

[This message has been edited by vakie (edited June 19, 2001).]

I thought the doorbells were just a 4-part chime.
crazy.gif

------------------
"Why not? Only 1 Human captain has ever survived battle with the Minbari fleet. He is behind me, you are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else."

They are, for everyone else. But he's the Lone Ranger, you see.
cool.gif

------------------
vakie

[This message has been edited by vakie (edited June 19, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> the tune is the Lone Ranger theme. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Better known in Music stores as "The William Tell Overture".
tongue.gif

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.

Yes, by the Italian composer Gioacchino Rossini, from his "Wilhelm Tell" opera.
wink.gif

------------------
vakie

[This message has been edited by vakie (edited June 20, 2001).]

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back