• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

That does it

westtim

Beyond the rim
Now we have people coming to this list to bash on Rangers. I imagine that you know you've arrived as a website when the Trolls are at the door waiting.

For the love of God it is a PILOT!!! Of course it will not be perfect. Of course it will NOT be Babylon 5, not in its first episode. The characters will feel strange and new. In a word it will feel "awkward". Yup it will probably feel "clumsy" (as Glen put it).

What I find most amusing about all this are the folks who come to this site to announce that they've seen the pilot and the sky is falling. Well at least one thing about B5 remains constant. B5 never lacked for critics and naysayers. Almost just as amusing are the people who accept these opinions as gospel truth and are already "disappointed". Jeeze folks I remember Harry Knowles giving "Godzilla" (1998) a fantastic review. Opinions differ. I know of three people who have seen the pilot and thought very highly of it (Of course they didn't take the time to write a review..). That is why everyone should just sit back, do some Christmas shopping and come January enjoy the return of B5 (and a new 5 year arc) to the airwaves.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by westtim:
Now we have people coming to this list to bash on Rangers. I imagine that you know you've arrived as a website when the Trolls are at the door waiting.

For the love of God it is a PILOT!!! Of course it will not be perfect. Of course it will NOT be Babylon 5, not in its first episode. The characters will feel strange and new. In a word it will feel "awkward". Yup it will probably feel "clumsy" (as Glen put it).
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Based on an email exchange I just had with Glen Oliver, I think To Live and Die in Starlight will be more attractive to new viewers than The Gathering was.

Since the key is to attract new viewers, there IS hope. What works for us B5 veteran fans isn't necessarily what works for newbies. We may have to wait for the series to get our B5-style meat and potatoes. No big deal, I can wait.

I'll be watching in January, and I'll get as many newbies to watch as I can.
smile.gif

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 2002 on The Sci-Fi Channel. http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

[This message has been edited by KoshN (edited October 23, 2001).]

The Christmas show of the year (of EVERY year), "It's A Wonderful Life" with James Stewart was positively slammed by reviewers when it first came out. Now it's shown traditionally at least once a year.

I have not even read this most recent review. Once I realized the "reviewers" aren't really even necessarily qualified journalists, I said 'enough is enough' to myself.

It's hard enough to keep up with the threads here, I'll just ignore those.

------------------
"I do not believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense,
reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."-- Galileo

"I think I speak for Mr. Bloom and myself when I say: you are the only director in the World who can do justice to 'Springtime For Hitler' - Zero Mostel, The Producers

Tim, my whole experience with being a B5 fan is one bad thing after another. It can't seem to catch a break, can it?

I do think this movie won't be as "deep" as the B5 series, but that's because pilots are different. You have to get people totally into the action, or they might not tune in again after it becomes a series. I don't mind if it is more action-based. It might even be good in terms of action. As others have said, if B5:LR becomes a series, the longtime fans will probably get what they want.

I think someone should try a different approach to a review of the movie. Instead of comparing it to the B5 series, how does it work as a pilot? Is this a movie that would make a good series? Can it attract new viewers?

Tammy

------------------

"We're in here! Can anyone hear us?"
"I hear you." [giggle, laugh]
"In here!"
"We are here." [giggle, laugh]
-- Londo and G'Kar in Babylon 5:"Convictions"

Tammy's Station
http://community.webtv.net/gkarfan/TammysStation

Well spoken.

regards
Halldor

------------------
Gideon: I thought you said you don't hold a grudge?
Galen: I don't, I have no surviving enemies, at all.

As to deciding if Rangers will be good or not, I am looking to JMS's previous work with B5 and Crusade to speak for itself. Sure B5 was a great show, but Crusade bombed. That was IMHO only because TNT killed it. If they had given Crusade a chance, I think it could have rivaled B5 in greatness. I look at that prior greatness and think, why can't that also be in store for Rangers? If B5 and Crusade were so good, than I think Rangers has a chance to follow in their footsteps.

------------------
RW, the salad ambassador. Visit my salad bar forum at www.b5rangers.net

RW7427: If you ever read the unproduced scripts you'd know that we were in for a treat.

regards
Halldor

------------------
Gideon: I thought you said you don't hold a grudge?
Galen: I don't, I have no surviving enemies, at all.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> We may have to wait for the series to get our B5-style meat and potatoes. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And, since this is a New show, and JMS has said he doesn't intend to "Repeat" himself, we should be prepared NOT to get "B5-style meat and potatoes".

JMS may give us "B5-style Chili Con Carne" instead.
tongue.gif
cool.gif
wink.gif

Or Minbari Breen.
shocked.gif

------------------
The 3 most common elements in the Universe:
Hydrogen, Greed, Stupidity!

wow, I can't believe I actually understood that metaphor.
smile.gif

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back