• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Thanks for all the book suggestions, everyone.

hypatia

Regular
My B5 book suggestion thread was closed for being in the wrong place. But I wanted to thank everyone for all of the information. It will take quite some time to get through all of the titles, so I'll be busy quite awhile. Thanks everyone for all of the suggestions. And everyone seemed to think that "To Dream in the City of Sorrows" was a great book. So why is it out of print?

------------------

[This message has been edited by hypatia (edited May 19, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by hypatia (edited May 19, 2001).]

You are most welcome
smile.gif

And personally, I didn't even notice it was in the Crusade area until they closed it....LOL
I'm sure you meant no harm, so, no foul IMO
wink.gif

------------------
"Faith Manages"

Hey, Hypatia, it seems to me that the book thread wasn't "killed" as such - it was only moved to the Babylon 5: General discussion forum.
smile.gif

I'm sure Antony didn't mean to tell you off, it's just that when a thread like that is in the forum dedicated to books and other B5-related stuff, it's easier for people to find it later.
laugh.gif

I didn't notice it was in the Crusade forum either - but after a while, if, say, other newbies (who perhaps don't like Crusade as much as B5) start looking for info on the books, they might not find it otherwise.

As for the original question - thanks for asking it! I've been thinking about B5 books as well - I haven't read any and don't really have the time either, I'm afraid, but it's good to know what others suggest in case I do get around to looking for them.
laugh.gif

------------------
"You've misspelled this. There's no 'Y' in liberties."
"Oh, go away. Repress someone else."

I understand, he runs a tight ship, and so must keep it running by the rules. I definitely respect that! If he's a bit harsh sometimes, he just reminds me of a teacher I had in highschool who would say "if you couldn't do better I wouldnt' ask you to". And I am grateful when someone shuts things down because tempers are flaring.

I am wondering when I'll have the time to do the reading myself, but I'll get around to it. Sounds too interesting to miss. I'm just finishing up AC Clarke's "Rama" series and need a change of pace.

------------------

Hypatia, I wouldn't worry about it too much, nor loose any sleep over it. Certain individuals have a hair in places it shouldn't be ... What I think of the placement is irrelevant (One of the trilogies centers around Crusaders, for example), I don't make the rules. I just comment on them.

I refer to them on other boards as Poster Nazis. However, since poster nazis tend to do illegal stuff with pot, and that's something we shouldn't talk about here, I won't comment. Will I?

------------------
"Hello. I want to welcome back our viewers. We've been gone a long time."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hypatia:
And everyone seemed to think that "To Dream in the City of Sorrows" was a great book. So why is it out of print?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, it's because Bantam/Dell's license to publish Babylon 5 novels expired when Del Rey obtained it from Warner Brothers. Apparently, they are still publishing them in the UK (I might be wrong, but I just lately saw all of them in stock on Amazon.co.uk), so you might look abroad for them.

However, for hugely canonical stories like To Dream in the City of Sorrows and The Shadow Within, it is something of a pain to have to look for them. But again, I wouldn't necessarily assume that they will remain out-of-print forever...

------------------

Yeah, they're still available in the UK, tho Voices has just gone out of print over here, and according to my "sources" (I work in a bookshop!) has also gone out of print in the US. I just had to buy it in 3-books-in-1 form.
You might still be able to pick them up in larger shops, places will often have o/p books on their shelves for ages.

------------------
We are starstuff. We are the universe made manifest...

Hypatia,

I haven't read it yet (I started, just haven't finished it. Stuff has just been hectic in my life. *sighs*). Well, I know that if one is lucky, they can still find out of print books. Some bookstores don't sell all of their stock, you know? I was able to get "To Dream in the City of Sorrows" about a month ago at a Barnes and Noble. I also love going to used bookstores. They have great bargains there. The only problem for me is that there aren't so many GOOD used bookstores around me that there used to be. Have you read any of the canon JMS stories that were in Amazing Stories? Those are also hard to find. Bookface.com used to have them, if I remember correctly, but they have since gone out of business.

------------------
Ivanova is always right. I will listen to Ivanova. I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God. And if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out.

Moving this to the general section.

------------------
Ivanova is always right. I will listen to Ivanova. I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God. And if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ivanova:
Hypatia,

I haven't read it yet (I started, just haven't finished it. Stuff has just been hectic in my life. *sighs*). Well, I know that if one is lucky, they can still find out of print books. Some bookstores don't sell all of their stock, you know? I was able to get "To Dream in the City of Sorrows" about a month ago at a Barnes and Noble. I also love going to used bookstores. They have great bargains there. The only problem for me is that there aren't so many GOOD used bookstores around me that there used to be. Have you read any of the canon JMS stories that were in Amazing Stories? Those are also hard to find. Bookface.com used to have them, if I remember correctly, but they have since gone out of business.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, I'll be in a big city within a week, I'll look in a big store. Unfortunately, I live in a very small town with a very nice but small bookstore. I'm on a waiting list for a used copy at Amazon.com. And it does make sense the new publishers, or whatever, will reprint them. I'm not obsessed with reading them in order, and I have three other B5 books ordered and on their way.

I bet "Dreams" and the other one won't be out of print for long!

I've never read "Amazing Stories". Its a maganize and I usually stay away from them, since I can't keep up with all that reading.

------------------

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back