• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

T-Minus 2 weeks - who'll get theirs first?

The_One

Regular
T-Minus 2 weeks - who\'ll get theirs first?

The DVDs come out in just over two weeks - hopefully they'll start shipping in about a week! Play.com normally ship about a week before the street release - and I reckon it will be in my hands in about 10 days /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

*Can't wait*

Re: T-Minus 2 weeks - who\'ll get theirs first?

A week early is a bit optimstic, i think. I've ordered from there a lot, and I've never (repeat never) had something on the day of release from them. My latest Farscape box set arrived 3 days after it was released, even though I ordered it a month in advance.

I think this may be to do with their location, I don't know...

As you've probably gathered from the news on the front page, Bensons World is B5TV.COM's partner. I like them myself, as I did once have something early... but more often than not, it gets here for the day of release.

And you could have saved yourself a quid. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I like Play.com, but I've found them to be a little slow when shipping items.

I've decided to take a little gamble and ordered mine from dvd.co.uk for £33 inc. delivery. Guess I'll find out how quick they are to ship it in the next few weeks...

i got mine for £28.99 /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
cause dvd.co.uk gave me a £5 voucher for helping them with a tech problem they had, all i had to do was send them 1 email /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
plus dvd.co.uk say that they ship the dvds so they arrive on the day of release or maybe earlier.
i cant wait /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Well let's see:

My Episode 1 DVD arrived 10 days before the release.

Babylon 5 ITB/Gathering came a week before.

The Fellowship of the Ring came 6 days before the release.

Just my experience, and I'm hoping I'll have the same luck with Season 1 /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm pretty sure that's not supposed to happen. If it's anything like bookselling, things that are sold/arrived before "street date" can get the company in trouuuuuuble.

Exactly, which is why in all my purchasing (I have hundreds of videos, and over 100 DVDs) I can count once or twice when I've had stuff early.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I'm pretty sure that's not supposed to happen. If it's anything like bookselling, things that are sold/arrived before "street date" can get the company in trouuuuuuble.

[/quote]

It all depends on the title and the competion in the area. I used to work for Waterstones some years ago and we regularly put stuff out early. Only the big stuff was held back for launch day.

I remember when the second Harry Potter noval came out we were not to sell it until 4pm of release day. But soon word had gotten round that WH Smith had already put them out so we went to war not wishing to lose sales to a rival. I doubt WB have put any such harsh restrictions on B5.

Well, The_One, my vote goes to Joe DeMartino, moderator. That man has *all* of the neat stuff! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

And as for Channe's comment about early releases and dealers getting in trouble, that's how it is here in the US, as well. Chains such as Wal-Mart get fined--fairly heavily, I understand--if they put displays up for sale early, even if by a day. It's rare, but if you're lucky, you can find a movie on the shelf before its "official" release date. I haven't tried a mail-order house like Columbia, so I can't comment.

On the other hand, "justnewdvds" of eBay has a few copies up for auction, and is promising to mail the discs out to the lucky winners on Oct 30, a week before US release. He's shipping from Saskatchawan, Canada, so depending on where you live, you could get in the post a day or three early. Maybe.

LordRemy

I used to work at a Waldenbooks. We had a street date list and a law that said that if our direct competition put merch out before street date we could do it to and not get in trouble. They would've, though.

I think. It was a long time ago.

The studios and the publishers (this applies to movies, books and music) are all very serious about enforcing street date restrictions. The reasons are simple: (1) The book, record, movie has to be in the store at least several days early to allow time to get it out on the shelves and to ensure that there is time to deal with any problems (short shipment, truck breaks down, books, records, films damaged.) (2) It isn't physically possible to get the book, record, movie delivered to every single retailer on the same day. Tuesday is typically release day for movies and CDs. Some stores will have the product on the Wednesday before the "street date", others might have it on the Friday before. It just isn't fair if the folks who get it early can get a jump on the competition by accident of UPS schedule or whatever. Also the big chains and mass merchandisers tend to get their deliveries first because they are the biggest customers for the publishers and have the most efficient distribution systems. They're already crushing the mom 'n' pop operations, why give them one more weapon.

With mail order this gets a little weird. So what if somebody gets a disc a day or two early? This isn't going to have any effect on brick and mortar retailers. Most mail order vendors try to mail things so that you receive your order on the street date. In practice this means within a day or two either way, given the vagaries of delivery companies and the postal services. (Unless you've paid a huge amount for overnight or otherwise guaranteed delivery, in which case you'll get it on the street date.)

One exception to this rule is Amazon.com. (And, I would assume, Barnes and Noble, although I've never ordered from them, so can't be sure.) They don't ship unitil the street date. Big as they are, they are scrutinized much more closely by the publishers, and they refuse to take a chance on "breaking street date."

Regards,

Joe

One exception to this rule is Amazon.com. (And, I would assume, Barnes and Noble, although I've never ordered from them, so can't be sure.) They don't ship unitil the street date.

[/quote]
Amazon.com shipped my copy of '24' DVDs on 8 September, 9 days before street date (17 Sept). /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Of course, they must have known full well it takes at least 2 weeks even under the best circumstances for it to actually get to me (their estimated delivery date was 2-9 Oct but I actually got it last week), so I guess that allows them more flexibility with overseas orders.

It's a first time when some DVD's come in Europe first.. Usually I always buy DVD's from amazon or other retailers.. If everything will be fine I'll get my S1 DVD's 17 or 18 october. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Sadly I won't be among the first to get this set. I don't have any contacts that could get me an early copy, and I'd rather have the R1/NTSC version, so I'm stuck with waiting until November.

My money is on Antony, who does have contacts on both sides of the Atlantic, and is apt to get an R2 copy before they go on sale. (Probably a "review" copy.) /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Regards,

Joe

Leave to Ant he probably will as for me I'll get mine on 10-22-02 or there abouts.

I was hoping just to walk into the store on 14/10 and buy it, but I have just been over to the HMV website and they have it listed at £59.99.

I have sent them an email regarding their price and pointing out that the RRP is £44.99. I am now thinking of purchasing it on line.

There seems to be a lot of confusion over the price. Until recently, amazon.co.uk were selling it for about £50 with a 'special surcharge' of £7, but now it's £35.99 - madness!

I'm getting mine from dvd.co.uk for £32.99 (it's gone up a £1 now) - just noticed that it is their top selling DVD /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Just received an email back from HMV they have confirmed an online sale price of £46.99. A bit steep for online, would have thought they would have done it cheaper. Chances are they will be even more expensive in their stores.

And double damn as I had taken the Wed, Thurs and Fri of the week of release to watch the series with the missus.

One exception to this rule is Amazon.com. (And, I would assume, Barnes and Noble, although I've never ordered from them, so can't be sure.) They don't ship unitil the street date. Big as they are, they are scrutinized much more closely by the publishers, and they refuse to take a chance on "breaking street date."

[/quote]

That's not quite true, at least not across the board. I've ordered quite a few DVDs from Amazon.com, and my pre-orders usually ship on the Friday before the Tuesday street date. And they arrive at my door on the street date.

Of course this isn't the case with every DVD I've pre-ordered from Amazon.com, but I'd say it's true for about 75% of them.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back