• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Strange Attractors (spoilers)

B5Elf

Best Line Ever in Strange Attractors:

"I'm just God's sockpuppet - he stuck his hand up my ass and words come out the other end!"
I was rolling! :LOL:

Just wanted to move this post into it's own thread in case people haven't seen the newest episode yet. That is an excellent quote too. :)

Here was that information from Scott Mitchell Rosenberg that I had mentioned before. It's safe to add it now that the episode has aired. :)

I was riveted by Mister Smith when I first read the script, then again in the dailies and producers cuts and even more so in the final version. One of my favorite scenes is when Mister Smith, visibly shaken, recounts six words "god" just said to him and the tone in god's voice:

Mister Smith: There was sadness and grief and weariness (in the god's voice) but under it all...anger. The kind of anger that makes you throw yourself on the ground and cover your face and apologize for everything you've ever done in your entire life.

But what did god say??? What are those six words that will haunt us throughout this season's saga? "Look to the east, and despair."

Oh, and by the way, I've seen every script and every piece of footage for all the episodes, and I will tell you one thing without giving a spoiler (I won't even tell you if it is indeed god!): that voice Mister Smith heard? Those six words? Well... god wasn't kidding.

"Look to the east, and despair."

Its time for some logical thinking and speculation:

1. At the end of the episode Davis (the guy in charge of Millhaven) says he's going east to see "Daniel". The people he meets up with are also going east to see him. "God" was probobly talking about this "Daniel".

2. In the begining, Davis mentions some of the things that Daniel says make sense, but the way he talks, he sounds like the thing he's saying are bad.

I'd bet good money this Daniel is very important and very bad.

Me either. What am I missing?

Jeremiah is starting to remind me a lo of the Stand. Anyone else?

Missing? Well, if you want to read the loglines for the rest of the season you can head on over to my site here:
http://abyss.hubbe.net/jeremiah/eps/s2.html

Also, regarding THE STAND ... there are certain elements that remind me of it but I don't think JMS is going to recreate it in Jeremiah. In fact, I dug up some quotes from him in the past about B5 and similar comments people had:

Feb.4.1996
What you have to understand is that virtually all of the items you list are generic tools used in great mythic sagas. A lone group with great responsibilities, a dark force gathering strength, defenders of light, beings of great power who are inscrutable or difficult...the names change but the archetypes remain. Tolkein used those archetypes, as I'm using them, as other writers have used them. Consequently, you see in this show whichever myth-cycle you're most familiar with.

Jan.11.1996
RE: "B5 is really X in disguise" You're all right, and you're all wrong. Is it Lord of the Rings? Dune? The Kennedy story? The saga of Camelot? The Foundation? A brief history of World War II? The Bible? All these and others have been broached to me by people absolutely sure that this was the model for the series. (And, as an aside, this kind of discussion generally happens only to TV writers; nobody here is doing a panel called "Is Startide Rising Really X in disguise?" This happens to TV writers because somehow it gets assumed that we haven't got an idea in our heads that we didn't swipe from somebody's book. But that's another topic for another time.)

Babylon 5...is a Rohrsharch test. An ink blot created by smashing actors, archetypes, saga-structure, myth and language against a sheet of paper, folding it, and bashing it a few times. When you open it up and look inside, what you see is the saga closest to your heart and your experience. Because like all the works mentioned a moment ago, B5 draws upon the same wellspring of myth, archetype, symbology, and dime store sociology that feeds all sagas, from the Illiad on through to the present.

Writers, science fiction writers in particular, are like the beggar in Alladin, who offered new lamps for old...we seize myths that have fallen out of currency and recast them in newer guise, dust them off and hope a genie emerges. Our myths, the myths of Tolkien and Homer, of Heinlein and Mallory, are eternal; they exchange one name for another, cast off one mask and assume the next. If you perceive their presence in Babylon 5, it is because we have courted the myth, not because we have echoed one of their names from another
place.

Dec.17.1995
The stories I like best are the ones that ratchet up the tension and the uncertainty inch by inch until you're screaming. This could apply to any of Stephen King's novels (and recall that a lot of my background is in horror writing). Mother Abigail in THE STAND was supposed to be their hope for the future. So in short order she's vulture-food, JUST when she's most needed. *Because that's interesting*. It makes you say, "Oh, hell, NOW what?" (Stephen actually does that a lot in his books, and it's a technique I've learned as well.)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back