• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Straightjacket Lyta

vacantlook

Super Moderator
This is something I've thought many times before when I've watched it and is something I thought again just now: In both "Wheel Of Fire" and "Objects In Motion," Lyta is kept in a cell in a straightjacket. In her cell, there's a toilet and a sink. How did the security personel expect Lyta to be able to use the toilet if her hands and arms are bound by a straightjacket?

Maybe they let it off of her temporarily so that she could "do her business". Now, someone might argue that she'd try to escape if they did, but all they'd need is for someone like Lochley to deck her again. ;)

Well, perhaps she was wearing no undies, so she only needed to squat on the pot, and perhaps the toilet automatically cleaned her but, as I've read many Japanese toilets do today. If she had been wearing a skirt, that is. I'm not sure I recall ever seeing a skirt or dress on B5, except for Delenn. Of course, she could have gotten out of that straight jacket whenever she wanted to. Or, perhaps used her telekinetic powers to take care of her hygiene. ;)

I...don't recall seeing a straitjacket. You sure?

Ohhhhh yeah, I'm sure. It's not the stereotypical white loonie bin straightjacket of our day today, but instead was a grey, patterned, slightly futuristically looking straightjacket.

That's actually a very good question. I wonder how this is dealt with in real life. :confused:

Diapers and a nurse to clean up, I suppose. :(

They didn't expect to hold Lyta indefinitely.

I...don't recall seeing a straitjacket. You sure?

Actually it was some kind of thing that fit over her arms, holding them to her body, and it was connected somehow at her shoulders. It wasn't a full jacket. ;)

The straightjacket held her arms across her midsection with a strap across her back; I consider it a full-on straightjacket -- just a B5-futuristic one.

Simple, the holding cell wasn't created for Lyta and other detainees would use them while there....

She of course had the potential to be much more dangerous than your average prisoner so the straightjacket was used....

Besides, if she's so powerful, she can hold it ;)

Keep :)

Ultimately, it was symbolic.

If someone can open locks with her mind... I would presume she can also untie a knot... or break materials where a knot or lock does *not* exist.

It was surprisingly polite of Lyta to maintain that illusion of security for others. Perhaps she regretted her unreasonable action against the personality of non-involved people, and therefore agreed to comply.

If the goal of B5 security... would have been true security... instead of employing technology from the middle ages, they should have employed modern technology.

Meaning, in the room... and perhaps some rooms away... should have resided multiple robots, monitoring Lyta, and likewise monitoring each other's physical integrity. Ready to open a cocktail party of multiple tranquilizing gases.

A telekinetic with a biological brain... would be unlikely to move efficiently against something which can respond a thousand times... before a nerve cell completes one cycle.

Even if a single machine could be disabled before it responds (presumably one fairly slow in machine terms, with no parallelism or backup) multiple machines monitoring each other would stretch the task of breaking them all beyond ability.

Ultimately, had security *really* been foremost, they could have always dropped the temperature. That approach however... includes a liability. One cannot speak, reason or negotiate with someone who is frozen.

It was surprisingly polite of Lyta to maintain that illusion of security for others. Perhaps she regretted her unreasonable action against the personality of non-involved people, and therefore agreed to comply.

Lyta also knew that if she was too naughty Sheridan would kill her.

Well... there certainly was an element of threat... but that element was certainly mutual.

Sheridan could use a PPG -- but Lyta could presumably make the PPG malfunction (and if she really tried hard, perhaps make Sheridan's head implode too).

Exploding vid camera sold separately. Batteries not included. Some assembly required.

<g>
Jan

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back