• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Star Wreck: In The Pirkinning

I don't know if they've promoted this "first Finnish full-length scifi comedy", Star Wreck: In The Pirkinning, very much, but you really should check out the trailer (34mb) and the teaser (11.6mb). Star Wreck started out as a Star Trek-parody, but now they've included Babylon 5 into the joke.

It looks pretty damn cool. Even the CGI is almost identical to B5 and Star Trek and fortunately there's subtitles for those who don't speak this odd little language.

Star Wreck

Regards,
Marko Marin

:LOL: That is pretty hilarious. :LOL:

Can they get away with that, though? They seem to be using pretty close copies of the ships and characters.

Well, it's "no profit"-thing. They say that in the first page of the site, so in theory it's okay.

We in the Tadream (Tangerine Dream-discussion list) released many live concerts from last three decades and Edgar Froese, bands leadman, said that that's legal since we get no profit for those cd's. So I suppose it's the same thing here.

I don't know though if JMS knows about this personally.

Anyway, Hopefully we'll get to see the full movie soon.

Regards,
Marko Marin

Well, it's "no profit"-thing. They say that in the first page of the site, so in theory it's okay.

Hmmm ... Aisling might be paying a visit to this discussion soon, methinks.

:D

More likely, legally it would be OK because genuine parody is allowable under copyright law (I believe - although I'm sure someone will correct me if I am mistaken).

We in the Tadream (Tangerine Dream-discussion list) released many live concerts from last three decades and Edgar Froese, bands leadman, said that that's legal since we get no profit for those cd's. So I suppose it's the same thing here.

I don't know though if JMS knows about this personally.

Nothing to do with JMS in any case, as WB own the rights to B5, not JMS. He would undoubtedly have an opinion, though.

As far as the Tangerine Dream live concert thing goes - it will come down to who has the rights to the songs performed. If Edgar Froese has them, then he is obviously happy with the situation so no problems there at all.

OTOH, my band have been advised that if we record our own concerts and give CDs away to our friends we must cut out songs that were not written by us because we could be sued by the copyright owners - even though this actually costs (rather than makes us) money.

Sounds crazy? Well, that's the UK for you ...

:p

More likely, legally it would be OK because genuine parody is allowable under copyright law (I believe - although I'm sure someone will correct me if I am mistaken).

You are correct. Although I'd have to see the movie to judge if it meets that standard, the trailer does point very strongly in the parody direction.

This might actually be the first Finnish movie I'll see....

That really does look amazing....
The Excalibur blasting the Enterprise was very impressive!
The CGI was very cool, and the humor seemed to hit the spot in terms of parody. 'Amigo class destroyers, :D
And the token hot chick in leather at the com was a great idea!
I'd see it in a flash!!

The CGI was very cool, and the humor seemed to hit the spot in terms of parody. 'Amigo class destroyers, :D
And the token hot chick in leather at the com was a great idea! I'd see it in a flash!!

I've heard that they've used something like 5000 euros in the past four or five years to make this movie and they've used the money very well.

It's interesting to note that the five previous Star Wrecks were mostly simple animations made with the good old Amiga.

Regards,
Marko Marin

Good for them. On my nice 19 inch monitor they look at least TV quality. B5 S1 was done on an Amiga's with lightwave/ video toaster boards, if i'm not mistaken??

And the token hot chick in leather at the com was a great idea! I'd see it in a flash!!

I've heard that they've used something like 5000 euros in the past four or five years to make this movie and they've used the money very well.

It's interesting to note that the five previous Star Wrecks were mostly simple animations made with the good old Amiga.

Regards,
Marko Marin

I actually have a VHS (Although it's in English) called Star Wreck Zone. It's claymation (At least it looks like Claymation) TNG/TOS blending. Is this part of the Star Wreck Series you are referring to? One of my favorite lines from it is "Fire at Will", and then Data shoots Commander Riker.

I actually have a VHS (Although it's in English) called Star Wreck Zone. It's claymation (At least it looks like Claymation) TNG/TOS blending. Is this part of the Star Wreck Series you are referring to? One of my favorite lines from it is "Fire at Will", and then Data shoots Commander Riker.

The old finnish Star Wrecks (parts I, II, II, IV, 4½, and V) can be found here: Star Wreck - Oldies

Regards,
Marko Marin

SW is pretty old yeah. That trailer was released... a long time ago. Anyway, those "Backgammon", "Mannerheim" Omega's etc. names were pretty funny. Also, as I'm from Finland, there are couple of more "finnish inside" jokes in that trailer and the upcoming "movie". Even the subtitles won't give total truth so to speak. For example, the moment where Cpt. Sherrypie is stating that "we will fight till the last man" or something like that, there's poster behind him... Well, as hilarious as this movie is gonna be, finnish folks who are into B5 and ST will get much more out of it. :D Anyway, for a fan-driven project it is top quality.

It is shame that subtitles won't tell the whole truth. As in hollywood movies with finnish subtitles... As good as they are, they always miss some jokes or more or less irrelevant information.

SW is pretty old yeah. That trailer was released... a long time ago. Anyway, those "Backgammon", "Mannerheim" Omega's etc. names were pretty funny. Also, as I'm from Finland, there are couple of more "finnish inside" jokes in that trailer and the upcoming "movie". Even the subtitles won't give total truth so to speak. For example, the moment where Cpt. Sherrypie is stating that "we will fight till the last man" or something like that, there's poster behind him... Well, as hilarious as this movie is gonna be, finnish folks who are into B5 and ST will get much more out of it. :D Anyway, for a fan-driven project it is top quality.

It is shame that subtitles won't tell the whole truth. As in hollywood movies with finnish subtitles... As good as they are, they always miss some jokes or more or less irrelevant information.

I think the subtitles are a important part of the joke. One line is translated exactly like it was said in finnish and another not at all like that. But your right. People who don't speak finnish will certainly miss some jokes, but those aren't the main thing in this case. And the team has stated int the Star Wreck forum that the movie is almost finished (about 90% of it anyway).

Already from the trailers you can see that they can act much better than in SW4½ and the CGI is awesome. This will definitely be the best space oriented scifi-flick we've seen in Finland. (But that's just because no one has ever made one in here. :p)

Regards,
Marko Marin

I have to admit, this is an impressive shot:

cgi15.sized.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back