• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Soundtrack Question

Nexius311

Does anyone know the song they play in season 4 Episode - face of the enemy when they capture sherridan? Thanks for responding anyone.

All of the music used in the series was written specifically for it, as far as I can recall. (Don't know if anyone ever sang "Happy Birthday" or anything like that, but that sort of thing would be about the only exception.)

Your can purchase soundtrack CDs and compilations from the Sonic Images web site.

Regards,

Joe

Yea, i figured it was on that site. I checked it out when i ran through the credits and saw it at the end. I would think that it would be under the sound track for that specific episode (as listed above) but i wasn't sure. If it is then i may just get it. thanks again for the responses.

Good God, this subject comes up often.

The tune, titled only "Bar Music" bears an incredible similarity to the song "Hardly Wait" by PJ Harvey and sung by Juliette Lewis in the film "Strange Days". JMS says it's an original piece, but if George Harrison lost a lawsuit for "My Sweet Lord", this song would definitely lose in court. The arrangement is identical, only the words are changed.

Way back I posted links to mp3's of both song so people could compare, but I don't have time to look for links again. Those mp3 files are always moving.

Would this have been JMS writing tunes to save on royalty fees again?

He does know how to cut costs. Hopefully, with a movie it willb e a bit different...

Would this have been JMS writing tunes to save on royalty fees again?

He does know how to cut costs. Hopefully, with a movie it willb e a bit different...

Do you have a source for that?

What difference would it have made if JMS wrote a song or if Chris Franke wrote it? It's likely that JMS writing it might actually incur extra charges since Chris was probably contracted per episode.

Jan

JMS doesn't write music. He might come up with a melody and hum it for Christopher Franke or some other collaborator to write a proper song around, but that's it. He wrote only the lyrics to the songs he gets co-author credit on. (And the money saving aspect of doing the music "in house" had less to do with royalties than with licensing. Licenseing outside music for use in a TV show can be very expensive, and can also be very limited. Many shows that paid for the rights to use a popular song in their original network runs had to substitute generic catalog instrumentals when they went into syndication because the license did not extend to reruns in secondary markets. Music licensing has been a serious stumbling block to the release of a lot series on DVD. WKRP will probably never be released because the music rights would cost a fortune.

Regards,

Joe

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back