• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

someone who likes b5

Nancy

Beyond the rim
In all my years of liking B5, I have never, ever met, in person, anyone who liked it as well. In fact, on the occasions where I've mentioned I liked the show, I've usually been laughed at (e.g. my martial arts master, my brother's friend who's a star trek freak, etc...) But yesterday, I have actually met someone at my martial arts class that likes the show. My master was laughing at my choice of shows and she told him she liked b5 as well. Suffice it to say, I really like the woman now. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It took me about a year, but I did find somone who likes B5, not as much as me though. He likes to make fun of how much I know about the show. I did get one other person interested in it, and I might get another.

I don't think that I've ever been laughed at for being a fan of it B5. (or any TV show /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif)

In all my years of liking B5, I have never, ever met, in person, anyone who liked it as well. In fact, on the occasions where I've mentioned I liked the show, I've usually been laughed at (e.g. my martial arts master, my brother's friend who's a star trek freak, etc...) But yesterday, I have actually met someone at my martial arts class that likes the show. My master was laughing at my choice of shows and she told him she liked b5 as well. Suffice it to say, I really like the woman now.

I hope you don't mind my saying, but I wonder what kind of an instructor would actually "make fun" of a student.

I have disciplined students. I've even had to tell some that "I don't have enough time today to go into this during class".

But if someone in one of my classes were to be talking about "Survivors" or some other horrid "reality"-show, I'd just smile and say nothing.

I hate Survivors with a passion. But for an instructor to purposely humiliate a student who is NOT being a major disruption is simply not called for. When someone in clear authority "makes fun" of someone who is clearly subordinate, that is humiliation, I'm afraid.

And it is most definitely not not germane to the situation anyway. I do speak with my students, but an instructor must be careful about not alienating students over non-discipline reasons.

I suspect that your instructor may be a "I know how to do, so I assume I know how to teach" type. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

If he also uses humiliation as a "motivator" during lessons, I might look for a new instructor if I were you. If he's just talking about things before class, and it doesn't effect how the class is conducted, then just ignore him if he's actually good at instructing in his field.

Excluding my mother and brother who discovered B5 at the same time as me, I don't know any fans personally. I was very recently told that my uncle likes it but have yet to speak to him of B5. There are many of us out there but we are a minority.

So far, I've gotten three of my friends into it - I'm working on a fourth, who is a Star Wars nut, but he is proving very resistant!

And I say "Israel 10 points".
In my close circle of friends I don't have one who doesn't know and like the show and so far I met so many B5 fans I lost count, even more the sci-fi community here, though composed of some very freaky people, acknowledge the innovation B5 brought into the sci-fi scene, even if they don't like it that much.

I love Israel, we have good people here it seems :)

Woa, woa, woa hypatia, you're taking what I said way too seriously. It's my fault, I should have explained myself better. He made fun of me, but not in a condesending tone, he was NOT humiliating me or anything like it. It's more like friends or family will make fun of each other, in a way that's funny, a joke. Note, I've known this man since I was seven, almost 15 years, he's like an uncle to me. So, I say again, he never humiliated me, this was in a conversation where we were all joking around, it wasn't in class. He doesn't humiliate students in or out of class. Trust me, he's not that kind of instructor. I really should have explained myself better, I don't want you to think my instructor's an asshole.

I have five good friends who are B5 fans, four of which watched it with me at my house when it was in first run. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

During the original run, I didn't have one friend that liked the show. I've turned quite a few on over the years. I have one friend that I just loaned "The Gathering" too and have told him that I just received S1. He's begging me to give them to him disk by disk after I've watched them. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I was introduced to it by two friends at work (We're all three of us, engineers.) Two us got a fourth guy (also an engineer) interested in B5. He got his wife interested.

However, in my direct family, nobody else is interested, and I'm sad to say that there are some "Crossing Over With John Edward" fans in my family ( /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif ).

Yes, I'm thinking about giving each of the Crossing Over with John Edward fans in my family a copy of the South Park episode John Edward Is A Stupid Douche. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/devil.gif /forums/images/graemlins/devil.gif /forums/images/graemlins/devil.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

My wife just loves that show... Arrarragh!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

She goes on about it, like

"It could be true", or "Just because it goes against your beliefs", blah, blah, blah...

And I go "It's a stupid TV show! It's there to entertain (supposedly). Of course they are all going to say 'Wow' and look shocked! How boring would it be if the host says throughout the show 'Anyone here have a cat named Spike?' SILENCE
'How about a father who had a spike driven through his head? Anyone?' SILENCE

BAH!!!!!
/forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Did you get that from a show transcript? /forums/images/graemlins/devil.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Now there's a good job - script writer for 'Crossing Over With John Edward'

"... and I'm sensing a very tense period, where you felt you were in danger from, and I hope I'm getting this right, a gopher?"

"OH MY GOD! YES! Our pet gopher, Harold, went rabid, and started ripping out our children's intestines - he killed Billy-Ray and Betty-Sue before we could put a bullet between his eyes."
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

OMG, I just saw the John Edward Is A Stupid Douche ep. It is hilarious. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back