• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Some minor B5 S2 DVD news

Sigma

Regular
from www.isnnews.net :
---
BRUCE BOXLEITNER: While this should go in the Keeping Up with Cast column, I just couldn't chance your missing this one! A ranger reported that while at a convention last weekend in Orlando, Bruce Boxleitner mentioned that he would be adding commentary to the Babylon 5 Second Season DVD set. This is terrific news!
---

Great news /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks for the link.

Hopefully Season 2 will come soon, and the rest to follow shortly there after. I dont want to wait a couple years for all 5 seaosns. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I was thinking the same thing, Recoil. Will I have to wait a year for each new season of B5. Or, worse yet (horror of horrors) will seasons 2-5 even be produced? /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I'm pretty sure that, assuming they are going to release the rest of the season, which is looking better and better, they are planning on releasing a season every six months. So the entire series would be out in the next two years. I wish they were releasing them closer together. Who knows, I may be dead by the time the two years is up. I'd like to have them all before I die. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I didn't think it was a question whether or not season two would be released since the first season left WB "stunned" as JMS put it. He also said this:

Nov.10.2002
<font color="orange">Great! While WB is in this condition, do you think you could take advantage of them and get them to move up the release date of Season 2?

I don't know if they'll be able to move up the date, which last I heard was about April, but I did hear the other day that they want to get the next set up and running asap. It's suddenly become a priority item.

Who'd've imagined?</font color>

Ah, the "bad vibe" theory, eh? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

O.K. I'm willing to cooperate.

(Hypatia goes into hush-about-the-future-B5-DVD-sets mode.)

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Acceptable mode is now set and functioning. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

As long as they don't plan to release the next ones every two months or so. That would hurt! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif But 4 months might be nicer than 6. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Even if they did release them every two months, as has been done with ST:TNG, you don't necessarily have to go out and buy them right away. You can always wait and get them when you feel like it. But knowing me, I'd go out and get them right away, assuming I had the extra money. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Exactly! It wouldn't be possible to wait, not with everyone else getting theirs right away. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have also noticed that the prices are dropping on ebay from the $60 range to the $45 range.

If April is the appointed release time.....it will not come soon enough, though! *sigh*

SWEET I too would like them to be a little closer in release but not as close as the TNG release my wallet has been taking enough of christmas shopping beating lately.Alias I would like to be alive two years or better is a long time to wait maybe one every few months say two and a half.

I think they should take longer so that Warners can carry out the restoration needed on some pretty dreadful film prints.
The BBC have spent a whole year remastering one season of Blake's 7 for DVD and B5 deserves the same loving care and attention minus the scratch marks.

So there is going to be a Blake's 7 coming out on DVD. I was wondering if I should just get the VHS. But if they really are going to put Blake's 7 out on DVD, I'll wait.

I'm not sure what you are talking about with Season 2 of Babylon 5, however. What needs to be fixed?

I think Season 1 may have had some questionable film prints, but if memory serves, the later seasons all look just great. Im not sure restoration would even be needed. Most of S1 was fine too actually...

IIRC correctly, Blake's 7 was shot on primarily on video, not film. Tape that old would have required a major restoration just to make it watchable on DVD. Also the cost and requirements of restoring old material on videotape and doing actualy film restoration are in no way comparable. So this is really an apples-to-oranges comparison.

Regards,

Joe

You are wrong there Joe. Archive shows shot mostly on video always require extensive restoration to remove artifacts, sound dropouts and background noise. Take a look at http://www.rtforum.co.uk/ to discover the pains of improving and remastering old Dr Who DVDs.
A third of most B7 episodes were recorded on mostly poor quality film full of marks mainly for exterior and model shots. For the DVDs, the BBC have used new film prints.
Amazed that someone thought there was no problem with the B5 DVDs. Not only was the image soft (probably NTSC which is inferior to PAL), but white scratch marks are often present on all of the episodes including the black smudges that would appear sometimes on the actors faces.
Any series over 5 years old *has* to be remastered simply because the quality of the DVD format will make damaged film prints look even worse. Don't hold your breath for good season 2 prints especially if Warners continue to make no effort whatsoever.
B5 season 1 is probably the worst DVD I've seen in terms of picture quality.

To the person who enquired about B7. Not sure what extras will be on the region 1, but region 2 has a new season 1 documentary lasting 40 minutes, bloopers, out takes, commentaries and old BBC TV interviews from Swap Shop circa 1978. Each season boxset will have its own documentary that has a total running time of 4 and a half hours directed by Kevin Davies who did the Hitchikers and Dr Who specials for the BBC a few years back.
Here is the full list of extras recently presented to the BBFC:
BLAKE'S SEVEN - SERIES 1 - DVD EXTRAS" 90m 51s
00:42:12:04 | BLAKE'S SEVEN - SERIES 1 - DVD EXTRAS - THE MAKING OF BLAKES 7 - PART 1 - DOCUMENTARY
00:07:08:16 | 2 OUT-TAKES, A MISSING SCENE, 1 ROBOT, 2 FLAT FEET AND A BLOOPER
00:00:21:17 | BBC WORLDWIDE - HOME VIDEO LOGO - 2003 CLOSING
00:00:20:16 | BBC WORLDWIDE - HOME VIDEO LOGO - 2003 CLOSING LETTERBOX
00:02:34:06 | BLAKES SEVEN - DVD ASSETS - TRAILER
00:07:53:03 | DVD ASSETS - BLUE PETER ITEM
00:02:21:04 | DVD ASSETS - INTRODUCTIONS BLAKE
00:02:19:07 | DVD ASSETS - INTRODUCTIONS JENNA
00:02:57:16 | DVD ASSETS - INTRODUCTIONS AVON
00:02:15:10 | DVD ASSETS - INTRODUCTIONS CALLY
00:02:35:17 | DVD ASSETS - INTRODUCTIONS: VILA
00:03:09:12 | DVD ASSETS - INTRODUCTIONS GAN
00:02:24:21 | DVD ASSETS - INTRODUCTIONS ZEN
00:03:09:08 | DVD ASSETS - INTRODUCTIONS TRAVIS
00:03:00:19 | DVD ASSETS - INTRODUCTIONS SERVALAN
00:01:24:01 | DVD ASSETS - EASTER EGG ONE - (MUTE)
00:01:10:08 | DVD ASSETS - EASTER EGG TWO - (MUTE)
00:02:09:08 | DVD ASSETS - EASTER EGG THREE - (MUTE
00:01:23:08 | DVD ASSETS - EASTER EGG FOUR - (MUTE

Orac, I have no idea what that list means (Blakes 7) but it sounds good to me! I have never seen the series, only some parts of it. I will definitely buy the series when it comes out in Region 1 DVD.

And the ending can't really be spoiled for me. Although I don't know the details, I have read enough about Blakes 7 to know how it ends. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Blue Peter is a documentary/news program aimed at children. It is very old (1950s) and still running. You can determine a British person's generation by their Blue Peter presenter. Mine were Valerie Singleton and Christopher Trace.

Does your PC or DVD player have a Region 2 player option?

Latest posts

Members online

Back