• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

small update from jms

Sigma

Regular
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Okay, so here's the deal. There are now three episodes remaining of Jeremiah's first season, "A Means to an End," by Sara Barnes, and the two part "Things Left Unsaid" by yr obdnt srvnt.

The first is a quieter, more personal story but also sets up what's going to happen in the two-parter, and the latter (directed by Mike Vejar, our good luck charm on B5 who did our best episodes) is pretty much nonstop intensity and action and character stuff end to end.

Though we're already doing well, it would be great to go out on a real bang ratings wise, so I'm going to try and experiement. If every B5 viewer who sees this can get the word to every other viewer who gets Showtime normally (I wouldn't sign up just for this, that's fiscally imprudent) to watch the next three episodes, that would be terrific. I think that would be sufficient to kick us over the edge into a sure renewal for year two.

And they're fun episodes on their own rights, even if you haven't seen the show before. Though "Means" is, again, a quieter episode, there's one scene in it that will have just about any SF fan worth his/her salt rolling on the floor. I can pretty much guarantee you it's something you haven't seen before.

As for "Things Left Unsaid," of all the things I've written and produced, this may be the best thing I've ever been involved with, from a production standpoint and much of the writing. We kind of got pulled back a bit after the events of 9/11 put a damper on the television business in terms of the kinds of
stories one can tell, but we really got this puppy back up on the rails again with the two parter, which is emblematic of what we'll do in a second year.

Anyway...just a call out from here to B5 fandom, to see if it's still there, so we can get together one more time on a biggie.

Thanks.

jms

[/quote]

The good news is he says they are going good. Ill be watching and trying to get others to watch.

I'll send a roll call out to my relatives in the US (that being LOTS of people /forums/images/icons/smile.gif If I where in the states, I definantley would get Showtime just to see these episodes /forums/images/icons/smile.gif (BTW how much does Showtime cost?)

I am sadly not in the States at the moment and can only get to watch Jeremiah over half-legal ways (I'm ashamed of doing it but I can't get it any other way - I swear I'll buy the DVD's when they come out)

It depends on where you are and what services your cable provider offers.

We had to upgrade to digital since it was cheaper than staying on the analog connection and adding Showtime. That nearly doubled our cable bill (was $35+tax, now it is $55+tax) so it can be a significant increase. If you already have digital or a dish, it is usually only $5 or $10 extra a month to add a premium channel like Showtime.

Either way, take Showtime up on their $25 rebate offer for signing up between now and Oct to help defer some of the expenses. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

Anyway...just a call out from here to B5 fandom, to see if it's still there, so we can get together one more time on a biggie.

[/quote]

Lets hope it is one more time, rather than one last time.

I just call Direct TV and asked them how much it would cost to add Showtime a package for 1 month. They said it would cost an additional $12.00. Not to bad /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

This was a hypothetical question since I already have Showtime, but the price was not bad.

Cerberus

It's too bad that where I am it would be an extra $40 a month. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif Maybe more, I think I forgot to figure in the switch to digital. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

Extra $40 ? Yikes. I know here the basic digital was the same as regular basic so we switched for the extra channels. Plus i got the Cable modem service. They have a package deal here. For a extra $20 we get every pay movie channel but TMC 1 and 2. But we also have a few of us paying the bill also so its no big deal. But i have heared horror price stories from others.

BUT sho has a rebate if you have showtime for 2 months. Not bad really

capt

I don't get into the whole 'get Showtime for a month or two and then drop it' though.

Let's face it, even JMS himeself stated that it would not be feasible to get Showtime just for Jerimiah.

So those of you with Showtime, do what he asked. Try to encourage your non-Jerimiah-viewieng Showtime collegues to tune in.

When will Showtime decide, anyway?

I'm not sold on Jeremiah but do record it on Showtime West late for my wife, who likes it, but in this instance will have all three TV's (with separate satellite receivers & dishes) tuned in. Don't know if this will help but if my sat boxes do send out a "viewing report" every 15 minutes as I have been told, it might.

Every little bit helps, gangster. Every TV on and tuned to Jeremiah will give it that much more oomph when it comes down to decision time. Thanks.

I picked these rating figures up on the Zocalo Today website.

RATINGS: Top 10 SF Syndicated Series: Stargate SG-1 2.5; 3rd Rock 2.4; Mutant X 2.2; The X-Files 2.1; Andromeda 2.0; Beastmaster 2.0; John Edward 2.0; Buffy 1.8; Sabrina 1.4, and Earth: Final Conflict 1.3. Source: Nielsen Galaxy Report, 6/3/02 - 6/9/02.

If Jeremiah was showing that week it must have got less than 1.3, which would explain why Showtime wants to cancel it. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

A_M_Swallow wrote: RATINGS: Top 10 SF Syndicated Series: Stargate SG-1 2.5; 3rd Rock 2.4; Mutant X 2.2; The X-Files 2.1; Andromeda 2.0; Beastmaster 2.0; John Edward 2.0; Buffy 1.8; Sabrina 1.4, and Earth: Final Conflict 1.3. Source: Nielsen Galaxy Report, 6/3/02 - 6/9/02.

If Jeremiah was showing that week it must have got less than 1.3, which would explain why Showtime wants to cancel it.<<

Apples and oranges. These ratings are for "syndicated" series playing on channels like USA, Scifi, etc, not for pay channels like HBO, Showtime, etc. Another note, this "syndicated" listing does not include rating for other SF shows playing USA, Scifi, etc, that are not yet in "syndication." e.g. Stargate SG-1, Season 6 (1.8 for the same Nielsen rating period) & Farscape (1.6).

You can't compare those ratings to what the premium cable market gets. Read gangster's post in the non-B5 forum for a comparison that was made for SG1's move from Showtime to SciFi Channel:

Jeremiah is not syndicated and probably won't be unless a second season is approved.

Back in March JMS posted about the ratings which were in the 2.9-3.1 range which is "excellent by pay cable standards". Then about a month later, he said that Jeremiah is "generally out-pulling Stargate".

Now, things could have changed for the worse since there has not been a postive post about the ratings since. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

I don't know ... maybe Jeremiah is still doing well but just not quite enough to sell them on another season. /forums/images/icons/rolleyes.gif

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back