• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Sheridan's Political Naivety - Late Season 2

Sheridan\'s Political Naivety - Late Season 2

While watching some of the late Season 2 episodes like "The Long Twilight Struggle" and the "Fall of Night", it never occurred to me until now, how politically naive Sheridan was during late Season 2.

It astounded me that he believed that Earth Central would do something about the growing Centauri aggression - especially when he was already conspiring against the currect Earth Alliance government, over the Santiago assasination.

And his attitude toward the Centauri and the Narns is that of a teenager rooting for his favorite baseball team. I think that Season 2 was the start of his one-dimensional view of the Centauri. He seemed so obssessed over the crimes of the Centauri that he failed to remember that the Narns' own past crimes had helped to bring them to defeat in late 2259.

Re: Sheridan\'s Political Naivety - Late Season 2

...And that was a reaction to being enslaved by the Centauri. At the time it was the Centauri commiting attrocities on the Narn. You can only try to stop the cycle at the point you encounter it, not undue what's in the past. At the time the Centauri were the aggressor, trying to destroy the Narn not redress old wrongs or protect their own people.

Sheridan had dedicated his life to serving the EA because he belived in the alliance. Even if you know abstractly that what you belive in isn't perfect it's hard to accept that when the chips are down the thing you've devoted your life to will fail.

Remember his answer to 'why did you join earthforce', he wanted to serve something bigger than himself etc. etc.

Sheridan certainly hoped that the EA would intervene, and being on the front lines he saw clearly what had to be done -- the Centauri had to be stopped. I think he didn't really realize just how out of touch the EA was at that point (or how deep the Shadow influence ran). I don't think Sheridan was naive at this point, although he probably should have been more aware of the situation back home; the Earth Alliance was the naive one. Naive to believe that the Centauri would stop with the Narns. Naive to believe they could remain aloof.

So Sheridan was doing what should have been done by the EA as a whole.

It astounded me that he believed that Earth Central would do something about the growing Centauri aggression - especially when he was already conspiring against the currect Earth Alliance government, over the Santiago assasination.

The Santiago assassination was an internal EA issue, he probably thought that the EA would still see a large government like the Centauri Republic making war motions against another major government to be a much larger issue that provided threat to the stability of the whole galaxy, not just threat against a single government.

Agreed. There was still a Senate and Sheridan would have every reason to believe that the "evil" back home would be confined to the assassination conspirators, and that the bulk of the government would still be made up of sensible and concerned people.

The Santiago assassination was an internal EA issue, he probably thought that the EA would still see a large government like the Centauri Republic making war motions against another major government to be a much larger issue that provided threat to the stability of the whole galaxy, not just threat against a single government.

[/quote]

So Sheridan was doing what should have been done by the EA as a whole.

Why would Sheridan believe that EA should stop the Centauri? Was it EA's duty to be the cops of the galaxy?

Unless you damage your goals by doing something beyond your ability... setting your goals high is not naivete.

Sheridan's attitude towards the Centauri and Narn... is not immature. He is merely playing his part of the game. He is a military governor of Babylon 5, so he cannot make his own policy... but he certainly has his opinions, and his interpretation of rules reflects that.

He must adhere to rules. But he does not like galactic balance falling apart. He does not like what would happen if the Centauri would win. Neither would he like a Narn victory -- but that simply ain't happening.

He does not want Earth space (and especially Babylon 5) becoming a Narn-Centauri battleground. But his opinion about how to best achieve that... is not what EarthGov will actually pursue. He would want this to be achieved by stopping the Centauri advance... while EarthGov is willing to achieve it by granting the Centauri freedom to operate.

In this matter, Sheridan simply knows what he wants... and while rules permit, works towards achieving that. He does appear to know his limits. While walking a relatively thin line, he does not overstep his limits.

--------

Militarily... the EA space fleet would probably be weaker than the Centauri space fleet. Despite its recent rebuilding after the Minbari war... it drags behind in technology.

Therefore, EA cannot possibly hope to play "cop of the galaxy". Perhaps only Minbar could entertain such hope -- but Minbari know of Vorlons, and another great power predicted to return.

However, Earth could make firm demands to the Centauri... anytime while the Centauri Republic occupies Narn space. Why? Because occupying Narn space and dealing with Narn resistance would diminish Centauri forces from superior to equal.

Having multiple League worlds (most smaller but some technically more advanced than Earth) worried about Centauri encroachment would theoretically give EA even stronger stance to demand Centauri retreat.

------

Of course, none of this accounts for the military accomplishments of the Centauri against the Narn. Multiple were actually achieved by Shadows. Due to their efficiency in destroying things... it may have given off an impression of an unexpectedly strong Centauri Republic.

Likewise, this presumes that EarthGov is willing to expend its resources to safeguard the long-term interests of human civilization. Which EarthGov naturally from our viewpoint (yet not naturally from Sheridan's viewpoint) no longer is doing.

While Sheridan appears to know that things are rotten in Earth Alliance... he still appears to operate under the assumption that those things *can* be resolved without entering the worst bunch of scenarios.

Sheridan's attitude towards the Centauri and Narn... is not immature. He is merely playing his part of the game.

I've just finished watching the S2 episodes and I cannot say that I agree. Even when Garibaldi tried to explain how Londo was really feeling, I got the impression that Sheridan was not listening or didn't want to listen. It seemed as if he wanted to maintain his own opinion of Londo, based on the recent events.

He does not want Earth space (and especially Babylon 5) becoming a Narn-Centauri battleground. But his opinion about how to best achieve that... is not what EarthGov will actually pursue. He would want this to be achieved by stopping the Centauri advance...

Was Sheridan really thinking of Earth only? I have doubts.

Even when Garibaldi tried to explain how Londo was really feeling, I got the impression that Sheridan was not listening or didn't want to listen.
Perhaps I need to refresh my memory. Which episode would you be referring to?

Would you mean "The Fall of Night"? (The one where a Centauri cruiser, attempting to prevent a damaged Narn cruiser from leaving, attacked B5 and was destroyed.)

I do recall Garibaldi mentioning that Londo would be diffcult to negotiate with (due to him being in a crossfire of different interests)... and the mention was accurate... but of zero help to Sheridan.

To shift the discussion to better discussable ground... Sheridan's decisions in that affair, just like Londo's... naturally contained errors. Which do you find the biggest mistake, and having access to his information... how would you have avoided it?

Being Londo, I would have delayed response from homeworld to avoid involving Babylon 5 in fighting (and secured Sheridan's quickest possible removal of the Narn ship). Being Sheridan, I would have demanded that the Narn ship leave sooner, and if possible provided them means to accomplish that.

However, was Londo in a position to delay response by the Centauri fleet, even if he wanted? Likewise, could Sheridan have managed, without shooting at them, to get the Narn ship away any faster?

Was Sheridan really thinking of Earth only?

As I likewise mentioned... I doubt he considered desirable (regardless of where battles would be fought) a victory of either side. Outside of Earth space (and strictly speaking the proximity of Babylon 5) he simply didn't have any say over what occurred.

Dictators are normally very worried about security. Clarke was building up Earthforce by this time. On the other hand Stalin did not put the USSR on to a war footing until Hitler attacked. Argentina was totally caught off guard by Britain's ability to fight back in the Falklands War.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back