• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Severed Dreams Battle Annoyance

vacantlook

Super Moderator
I'm curious if anyone else finds this as annoying as I do. A small fleet of ships is sent to capture Babylon 5 in "Severed Dreams." Now the second group of the fleet that comes in later doesn't reall matter since Delenn threatens them away anyway. But the first group that comes in consists of two Omega class destroyers and two Hyperion class cruisers and some fighters.

Now my inquiry is this: is anyone (aside from me) kind of annoyed that they two Hyperion cruisers just seem to disappear shortly after the fleet enters Babylon 5-space and contribute pretty much nothing to the battle?

Nah.

One can assume that the two smaller Hyperion ships bought it in the fight, and that the scenes shown of the battle only focused on the large ships. Thats realistic enough.

HOWEVER, the only thing that bothered me about the sequence (mainly because Im a detail freak and I notice everything) is that Sheridan and several others got the names of the Omega ships switched during the end of the battle. Sheridan kept referring to targeting the Roanoke near the end, and hailed them as the Roanoke, but the Roanoke (if you look at the hull) was the FIRST one destroyed when the Churchill rammed it. If you look at the hull of the second ship, its actually the Agripa! Heh.

HOWEVER, the only thing that bothered me about the sequence (mainly because Im a detail freak and I notice everything) is that Sheridan and several others got the names of the Omega ships switched during the end of the battle. Sheridan kept referring to targeting the Roanoke near the end, and hailed them as the Roanoke, but the Roanoke (if you look at the hull) was the FIRST one destroyed when the Churchill rammed it. If you look at the hull of the second ship, its actually the Agripa! Heh.

I've heard about that one before - I think it was a mistake when they did the CGI.

Now my inquiry is this: is anyone (aside from me) kind of annoyed that they two Hyperion cruisers just seem to disappear shortly after the fleet enters Babylon 5-space and contribute pretty much nothing to the battle?

I always thought that Hyperions (or actually they were "Midwinter" class ships, since they were upgraded) were more in support role in that battle. Omegas can take a lot of damage, and they are a lot bigger ships. Hyperions are small and more fragile, that's why they didn't engage in frontal assault. Maybe they were targeting fighters and doing that "backstage work" so to speak.

Not really. To be honest, I never really noticed that they weren't there after their entry through the jumpgate until I read the Lurker's Guide. Besides, given how easily the Alexander destroyed the Clarkstown at the beginning of the episode, I think it's safe to assume they didn't last too long in the battle. :) Given the amount of storytelling that is done by the CGI in that episode, I don't think it's too important to show exactly what happened to them. Audience imagination does help--the cruisers enter with the rest of the force, move in for the attack, but aren't there when the battle is done. They ain't going to leave, so they must have been destroyed. Not everything needs to be spelled out.

The two name glitches, however, always have stood out for me.

Quite well put, Kalen.

As far as the name glitch goes... although it is clearly an effects mistake, it can easily be explained as part of the story. Sheridan hit his head, was in the middle of battle, and at a far off vantage point. He could have easily mistaken one of the destroyers for the other, since they were the same exact class of ship.

-Tim

Back