• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Sebastion a technomage?

I was watching comes the inquistor and during Delenn's interrogation, i noticed that he always used his staff.

Then once sheridan came in, we see that he makes a wall of fire. also from the staff. And right after delenn passes his test, he makes everyhint magically vanish. Since technomages have their staffs as an extension of themselves, the same must be true of sebastions. And we know that he at least has access to technomage tech because

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> the first ones make technomages. More specifically the shadows, but since the vorlons are on par with the shadows its logical to assume that they have the same tech. He is therefore the first known vorlon made technomage </font></td></tr></table>

------------------

[This message has been edited by Shadow War-Chief (edited November 08, 2001).]

Sebation doesn't get to be a Technomage.

He's a Prisoner of the Vorlons. They are both Punishing him and Using him.
The technology he gets to use is nice, but that doesn't make him a Technomage.
By Vorlon standards, he's probably getting to play with children's toys.
And, that's not a Staff. It's a cane. He's evidently got a bad leg.
Not getting it "fixed" is undoubtedly part of his punishment.
After all, for Lyta, they fixed problems she didn't even know she Had.

Among other things, Technomages are a very Specific Group with their own rules, laws, training and initiation rituals.
They certainly haven't invited Sebastion to join.

------------------
The 3 most common elements in the Universe:
Hydrogen, Greed, Stupidity!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bakana:

And, that's not a Staff. It's a cane. He's evidently got a bad leg.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Considering who he is, there's no need for him to have a bad leg. Victorian gentlemen would invariably carry a cane for added stability due to the filth of the streets, as well as for purposes of defence and fashion.

I agree that he is not a Technomage, though.

------------------

Simply a Vorlon-equipped torturer. Nothing to do with magic. A similarity of form, but not essence.

How many principles of the Code would describe him?

Solidarity - No. Morden had more solidarity with the Shadows than Sebastian with the Vorlons. For them, he was a tool. Perhaps he had even started to believe it himself.

Secrecy - Yes. But what is secrecy worth if used to conceal crimes?

Mystery - Yes. But what is mystery worth if used to create fear?

Magic - No. Magic and tricks are used to create wonder and curiosity.

Science - No. He simply used the instruments he had got.

Knowledge - No. He asked a pointless question with no interest for answers. He was neither teaching nor learning, only damaging. The only real answer to his question was easy - we are who we *want* to be.

Good - No. There is no good in such methods.

---------

Thus we may conclude that most technomages would have had an irresistible urge to send some rather large and nasty holodemons after him.

------------------
"We are the universe, trying to figure itself out.
Unfortunately we as software lack any coherent documentation."
-- Delenn

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shadow War-Chief:
And we know that he at least has access to technomage tech because the first ones make technomages. More specifically the shadows,<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Only the shadows. Technomages are made to be unstable, something the shadows would want, but the other first ones, and the vorlons in particular, would not.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>but since the vorlons are on par with the shadows its logical to assume that they have the same tech.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Vorlons may have roughly the same power as the Shadows, but that's not equivalent to having the same tech. For example, the Vorlons still rely on jump points, unlike the Shadow ships, which don't need to. There's also no reason to believe that the Vorlons have the capability to integrate organic beings and technology as closely as both the magi and the shadow vessels suggest the shadows can.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>He is therefore the first known vorlon made technomage<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Vorlon equivalent to the technomages are the telepaths. They'd have no reason to create mage-like beings.

-g

------------------

I also don't think that Sebastian is a technomage. Just from what I've read of them from the first two books of the technomage trilogy, I do not think he could be. Also, don't forget, he was supposedly Jack the Ripper from 1800's London, England and the Vorlons came and took him. That also does not jive with him being a technomage. I agree with the others here that said that he was just used by the Vorlons for the purposes and given the staff and his powers to help in doing what they wanted him to do. He was nothing more than a tool used by the Vorlons to accomplish what they wished without having to do it them selves.

------------------
The Whitestar Salad Bar, the galaxy's best place for parties.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jnk5y:
where does it say that the shadows created the mages?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Unfortunately it should have been stated more clearly that this thread contains spoilers.

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black> </font></td></tr></table>

It is revealed in the Technomage trilogy books.

------------------
"And what is it that you're getting Adira, a washed up old republican, dreaming of better days?" - Ambassador Londo Mollari, Born to the Purple

Londos6, you need to type the spoiler information in between the [spoiler] boxes, or you will just get a spoiler "heading", your words won't be in the spoiler box.

Which will actually be fine with the webTV users, from what I understand.

------------------
"I do not believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense,
reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."-- Galileo

"I think I speak for Mr. Bloom and myself when I say: you are the only director in the World who can do justice to 'Springtime For Hitler' " - Zero Mostel, The Producers

Yes people, plenty of people have not read any of the books yet and may still want to do so. Use spoiler boxes for all books.

------------------
"This so-called new religion is nothing but a pack of weird rituals and chants designed to take away the money of fools. Let us say the Lord's Prayer forty times, but first, let's pass the collection plate."-Rev. Lovejoy in The Joy of Sect

The only thing that "Sebastion" is
is a tormented soul named Jack with the nickname 'the ripper'.

------------------
"Ink on a page." -Refa describing the moral depths of a treaty.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hypatia:
Londos6, you need to type the spoiler information in between the [spoiler] boxes, or you will just get a spoiler "heading", your words won't be in the spoiler box.

Which will actually be fine with the webTV users, from what I understand.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, I had never tried using the spoiler box before. But as someone else already said, the spoiler had already been revealed.
blush.gif

------------------
"And what is it that you're getting Adira, a washed up old republican, dreaming of better days?" - Ambassador Londo Mollari, Born to the Purple

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Londos6:
Sorry, I had never tried using the spoiler box before. But as someone else already said, the spoiler had already been revealed.
blush.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's easy. Treat it just like you do Bold or Italic. Just replace the "B" or "b" or "I" or "i" with "Spoiler" in the square brackets.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 2002 on The Sci-Fi Channel.
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

memory is a bit hazy but in an episode of b5 the mages were leaving to get away from all the fighting. it seemed they were afraid of the shadows. So if anyone can clarify how and why the shadows made them and why they would still be afraid of them.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jnk5y:
memory is a bit hazy but in an episode of b5 the mages were leaving to get away from all the fighting. it seemed they were afraid of the shadows. So if anyone can clarify how and why the shadows made them and why they would still be afraid of them.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you really want us to spoil it for you? Read the Technomage trilogy. Books 1 & 2 are out, and Book 3 will be out on 11/27.

It's better if you find out by reading the books. Trust me on this.

Nobody else spoil it for him, and if you do, PLEASE put it in a Spoiler Box.

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 2002 on The Sci-Fi Channel. http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

[This message has been edited by KoshN (edited November 08, 2001).]

The books are worth reading and should be readily available in actual US book stores and on the internet.

------------------
"I used to be known as Eric, the waiter with hands for hands." The waiter with stubs for hands in The Kids in the Hall

My interpretation

<table bgcolor=black><tr><td bgcolor=black><font size=1 color=white>Spoiler:</font></td></tr><tr><td><font size=2 color=black>The Shadows did not make the Mages, they were already in existance.
The early Mages DID make a deal with the shadows for some extra tech but they did not know there would be such a high price to pay. The Shadows expected their co-operation and were kinda miffed when the Mages decided to do a midnight flit instead.</font></td></tr></table>

------------------
"No boom to-day, boom tomorrow.
There is always a boom tomorrow."

Saying "it's in the Book" is not a spoiler when it's the answer to a question about Where a particular piece of information comes from.

The "spoiler" (ie, the info) has already been revealed.
Knowing Where it originated is harmless.
In fact, it might prompt the people who haven't yet read the books to go looking for them.
A Positive outcome, IMO.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> The choice on what parts of the book someone knows going in should be left up to them. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are missing the point.
By the time of the post YOU are complaining about, the cat was Already out of the bag.
It was too late for "spoiler" warnings.

Plus, the question made it clear that the book had Not been read, so the effect of the post was to let another fan know that there IS a Technomage Trilogy that is worth reading.

------------------

It's not harmless. The choice on what parts of the book someone knows going in should be left up to them.

------------------
"I used to be known as Eric, the waiter with hands for hands." The waiter with stubs for hands in The Kids in the Hall

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back