• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Season Two

Well i care about Jeremiah and his quest :) Trust me, every single episode this season leads up to the 2 part season finale. After season 1 is over, go back and watch the other episodes. you will see what i mean.

Capt

I care, also. The point is that even if something in every episode is relevant to the story arc, it doesn't help the season's overall quality if the material is presented poorly or in a manner that doesn't draw the viewers into the story to the point that they really care deeply about what happens to the characters. I disagree with SavantB5 regarding the fact that if you've seen one JMS series you've seen them all. The episodes he wrote have all been good to excellent. I do agree with his point about the characters, but the problem is more in the way Sam Egan has handled them than anything else. Had JMS been more heavily involved in writing scripts I think this season would have been much better. As I said, I hope I'm wrong about Jeremiah's prospects for renewal, but only because I suspect next season (if it happens) will be much better.

While the similarity between Jeremiah's quest for Valhalla Sector (if you go to Valhalla Sector, then we're not sure you're gonna come back) and Sheridan's obsession with Z'ha'dum (if you go to Z'ha'dum you will die) is striking, and there's the overtone of "If we all don't band together, the big nasty enemy is going to overcome us all," those motifs - the journey motif and the underdog motif - are tried and true ways to tell a story.

Jeremiah is pretty different, except for JMS' copious use of those motifs. The only time I really see "The Guy Who Wrote Babylon 5" in his scripts is whenever Markus yammers on and on about alliances (I really hate that, for some reason) or when there's trademark JMS exposition ("let's walk down the hall and I'll tell you everything about the Burners.") Gaaaah. Shades of Martel's "let's stand by the Liandra and I'll tell you all about my childhood."

Tripwire and Firewall were unlike anything he did on B5, I think. That was some cool television.

All told, my third (or second!) favorite episode of the season, "A Means To An End," wasn't even written by JMS, but by Sara Barnes.

And I agree. "Out of the Ashes" looked like an afterschool special... I didn't enjoy it all, and when the townspeople showed up brandishing weapons, I groaned out loud. I also kept on thinking Red and Maggie had an ulterior agenda, but then, I'm paranoid...

I guess it's a matter of preferences. I just finished watching "A Means to An End" yesterday and I found it tedious. The intra-council politics and predictable "let's all see the light" ending was basically boring.

At it's core, its the same optimistic, "we can do it if we build communities" theme that was at the core of B5.

I guess it all would be more interesting if I the characters struck me as real people instead of as archetypes spouting points the scriptwriter wants to make.

And, too often, the dialogue sounded like the person had a speechwriter handing stuff for them. These are supposed to be people who haven't had a formal education since 15 or younger, have had no mass media to consume, and spent time living in a barbaric world--particularly the newcomers.

They shouldn't sound like characters in the West Wing.

I guess I just can't get into the millieu this series is trying to create because I'm not buying it.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I love intra-council politics.

[/quote]

Yeah? Just wait until you have to defend a graduate thesis! /forums/images/icons/devil.gif

LOL! I did an undergraduate honors thesis, so I can tell a little bit what you mean. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Well, I'm sure when the time comes for you to do that Master or Doctor thing, you'll be fine. Just remember that old saying about getting what you wish for!

Anyway, back to Jeremiah, it does seem that sometimes the major characters should carry soap boxes around with them, or a portable door frame to lean against while they expound.

I guess it's one of those blessing/curse kind of things...

I really shouldn't be in this discussion because I haven't had the chance to see Jeremiah. However I have been
watching out for articles in the genre magazines and there have been very few. Buffy, Farscape and Enterprise
seem to take a lot of the cover stories. Very few tv writers have said "you have to see this show" and most people
I talk to haven't even heard of it. It may have built up a good steady fan base but is it picking up new viewers all the time?

The Reason it isnt heared of in magazines is the show isnt really Sci-Fi as most people think. Enterprise, Buffy and Angel are all huge hits on network stations. Farscape is on Basic Cable so more people see it. Stargate is a excellent show and when it was on showtime never got big articles and such, but it did gather a huge following over time by word of mouth. Hopefully that helps jeremiah. Tell everyone to watch the replay

capt

Its also cause its on Showtime. There just isnt the broad exposure for a show on a Premium cable channel that lots of people dont have, when compared to a channel like sci-fi that almost ALL basic cable subscribers have, or a syndicated channel in which ANYONE with an antenna can get it.

I agree.

I think it is more important to compare ratings to other Showtime programs than to other programs in general.

Showtime said they would make a decision in late august

I hope they make the right decision
If they cancel Jeremiah End of August that would make this September worse than last year's September /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

I wasn't being serious (I was also not joking) I just want to express how much it would hurt if the storyline was ended here and now

I personally have find people that are interested to see it but haven't the way to see it because they don't have Showtime and mostly are in Europe. Also is not good that there aren't any downloads sites of episodes. That will help to people that haven't the opportunity to see it on Showtime. /forums/images/icons/rolleyes.gif Stargate is one series that many people have seen downloading episodes.

O you can download Jeremiah - just not leagally. Thats how I got to watch it also if I live here off in Vienna. I really HATE doing it - off all the people in the world I'd like to fuck(not in the NC-17 kind of way) JMS is very far down the list. I would have been more than willing to pay the cable fees to see it. I would have been more than willing to pay the same money that the cable fees would be to legally be able to download the episode and watch it.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back