• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Season Two Episode Titles (and Speculation)

Lyta

I got an email today from a nice person who shall remain anonymous in case they get in trouble for sharing this with me. They apparently have access to the casting call sheets which reveal the episode names for most TV programs. The numbers are production numbers and don't necessarily indicate the order they will air in. So, without further ado:

<font color="orange">#202 - Strange Attractors
#205 - The Road Not Taken
#206 - Trading Partners
#2xx - Letters from the Other Side
#2xx - Deus Ex Machina</font color>

Anyone care to speculate what these could mean? Naw. Didn't think so. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Re: Season Two Episode Titles

The Geos episode guide linked in The Abbys newsletter gives the following order :

- Letters from the Other Side
- Strange Attractors
- Deus Ex Machina

I think I can see quite well "letters from the other side" as the season opener. Somehow, this seems almost obvious, doesn't it? Maybe it is precisely *too* obvious /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

And could Strange Attractors be the introduction of Thesp, the "potential love interest" of Jeremiah ? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Speculating is fun /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Well it at least somehow allow us to survive until march 2003 anyway /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ah interesting. I hadn't thought to look there for clues as well. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

"Letters from the Other Side" does sound like an opener and where we get to hear from Jeremiah's dad about what happened.

"Trading Partners" gave me NC-17 type of thoughts. /forums/images/graemlins/devil.gif

However, "Deus Ex Machina" puzzled me because I didn't know what it meant. Turns out my hubby does and it is Latin for "God from/in the Machine". Turns out he is on this list that just recently discussed it (not in relation to Jeremiah at all) and I discovered that it has some interesting history to it. So, I shall share a quote from this web site I found:

<font color="orange">In some ancient Greek drama, an apparently insoluble crisis was solved by the intervention of a god, often brought on stage by an elaborate piece of equipment. This "god from the machine" was literally a deus ex machina.

Few modern works feature deities suspended by wires from the ceiling, but the term deus ex machina is still used for cases where an author uses some improbable (and often clumsy) plot device to work his or her way out of a difficult situation. When the cavalry comes charging over the hill or when the impoverished hero is relieved by an unexpected inheritance, it's often called a deus ex machina. </font color>

Source: http://newark.rutgers.edu/~jlynch/Terms/deusexmachina.html

Well, I don't like to speculate but ...
"Trading Partners" gave me NC-17 type of thoughts.
... or it could be a dancing metaphore type thing. Y'know when you switch partners ... in a strictly non-70s sorta way /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

"Deus Ex Machina" could well be a reference to an unexpected rescue. How the TM bunch and company get out of VS, perhaps.

"The Road Not Taken" sounds like the metaphorical off-shot of the equally metaphorical "Long Road".

"Strange Attractors" -- I'm with Tom on this one: Thesp.

Heh, I was thinking the exact same thing with "The Road Not Taken" and "The Long Road".

"Deus Ex Machina" in literature means that situation is solved by god (or superior force or whatever you would call it). I remember that my literature teacher in school told that good example of Deus Ex Machina is when wind blows stone-wall to collapse. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Prime example of this in B5 could have been Epsilon3 although it was never (fully) used as Deus Ex Machina. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I still like my explaination better. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif If you add the word "unexpected" or "unexplainable" to your definition, I think that would be better. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

As for your example of a dues ex machina being Epsilon 3 ... I think that is a bit of a stretch and too literal of an interpretation.

Here is some more information I (ok, really my husband since he is the one who recently read up on it) found:

<font color="orange">deus ex machina (DAY-uhs eks ma-kuh-nuh, -nah, MAK-uh-nuh) noun

1. In Greek and Roman drama, a god lowered by stage machinery to resolve a plot or extricate the protagonist from a difficult situation.

2. An unexpected, artificial, or improbable character, device, or event introduced suddenly in a work of fiction or drama to resolve a situation or untangle a plot.

3. A person or event that provides a sudden and unexpected solution to a difficulty.

[New Latin deus ex machina : deus, god + ex, from + machina, machine (translation of Greek theos apo mekhanes).]

"In fact the duke acts as the deus ex machina of the piece, working in the background to ensure that everything turns out right and manipulating the characters' actions along the way."
Robert Nott, Lust, justice and faith, The Santa Fe New Mexican, Jun 23, 2000.

When we face a serious crisis we often look upwards for divine intervention. In such hopeless times we pray to the gods to descend from heaven and deliver us from whatever travail prevails. In ancient Greek and Roman drama, the gods literally came down from above, though not from heaven, to help the heros of the drama and save the plot.

As it turns out, the gods themselves needed a little bit of help coming down. A crane was used to lower a god onto the stage and untangle the plot. Thus he was known as deus ex machina, literally, a god from a machine. Soon the figurative use of this device in a drama began to be described by the same name. Greek dramatist Euripides (480-406 BCE) was particularly fond of it. We are all intimately familiar with this device thanks to popular cinema. The hero who had supposedly drowned half-way through the story is miraculously revived to accompany the heroine into the sunset.</font color>

Source: http://www.wordsmith.org/awad/archives/1100

Anyway, it wasn't my intention to debate the meaning of the latin phrase. Sorry! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I just find it interesting to know what it means in order to speculate what the episode might be about.

I just read the article from Sci Fi Wire that Channe so kindly posted and wondered if the epiosde DEM might be in reference to Mr. Smith's character.

He said in the article:

<font color="orange">[Mr. Smith] is either an unwitting prophet or a Shakespearean fool. "You don't know which he is," Astin said in an interview. "He claims that God is speaking to him and he seems to know a lot more than he rightly should."</font color>

Ultimately deus ex machina is a cheap plot device. I don't see JMS resorting to a cheap plot device and making it the episode title -- as cheekily post-modern as that would be /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Methinks he's gonna turn the concept on its ear.

Taking the literal translation may not be such a bad idea. A god reeled out of a box is a pretty loaded concept in a series that, like B5, is about outgrowing your gods.

It has been confirmed by jms that "letters from the other side" is the season premiere. Well, actually, it is part 1 of the premiere.
Plus Robert Foxworth (General Hague) guest stars in that episode (and has a quick shot on the second part)

That did make a lot of sense to have LftOS as the season opener. Sounds like it will be a two parter then?

Dec.6.2002
<font color="orange">Case in point: Foxworth, as noted above. We needed someone for an important part in Jeremiah this season, and his name surfaced as one prospect. I'll be honest: when that happened, I kind of got my back up over the Hague situation. But then, at the end of the day, you have to say, "Okay, he pissed you off, but does that mean you don't hire the right guy for the job?"

So we hired him for that episode, "Letters from the Other Side," part one of our series premiere (with a quick shot also in part two).</font color>

"Okay, he pissed you off, but does that mean you don't hire the right guy for the job?"
It may help that Foxworth is probably not gonna be one of the good guys -- heck, maybe JMS'll get to kill him again /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Now confirmed by JMS about the season two titles and where Jeremiah will be:

Dec.8.2002
<font color="orange">Hmmm....based on nothing in particular...am I detecting a point of view shift for this second season?

Nope. But somebody has to be at the heart of Valhalla Sector, so he's the main guy there.

Any other titles or news you can share, JMS?

The season debut is "Letters From the Other Side," parts one and two, followed by "Strange Attractors," "Deus Ex Machina," "Rites of Passage," and "The Mysterious Mister Smith."</font color>

So, Jeremiah appears to be staying at VS for quite a while. Perhaps the whole season? We also have a few more titles than previously reported. Perhaps we get introduced to Mr. Smith in episode #6 (TMMS)? Maybe we get to meet Thesp in episode #3 (SA)? What about the other epsiode titles not mentioned?

#205 - The Road Not Taken
#206 - Trading Partners

Interesting. Veeee-ry interesting. Ha! Zathras knew Foxworth would be the Big Kahoona of Valhalla Sector. So we (sorta) know what happens to Jeremiah and Kurdy, but what about Markus, Erin, Lee and Theo and everyone else that got taken in St. Louie? Does that casting call sheet your source got a look at yield any clues?

Hmm, so you got that Foxworth was going to be the main guy in command at VS? I got that Jeremiah was going to stay at VS and remain the "point of view" for the show. Now I am really confused because they could both make sense. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I've interpreted it as Celle du soleil did.

And I'm pretty sure that Mr Smith will be introduced during the premiere.
The myterious Mr Smith would only be, maybe, the firt episode *centered* on him.

I'd say that to think the announcement of the hiring of the new actors was done at the moment where they actually started working on the show (hence the moment where it could probably not have been hidden anymore) would make sense.
From what we got of the filming schedule, that would give credit to the idea that Mr Smith first apperars on the premiere, and Thesp later, maybe 'stange attarctors'.

Or maybe that episode is about when this guy makes his first appearance in the series:

Smith4.jpg

/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Now Recoil, you know that Hugo is only doing trilogies from now on /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Hmmm, maybe if Jeremiah took the red pill ... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Interesting titles.

I just want to know: "why the new characters?"

The answer should be interesting.

One thing we know: Jeremiah's father is not tops at VS, if Foxworth has been named as honcho... and, obviously, he has to have some sort of power over Devon...

I think that perhaps Devon is head of the research department at VS and Foxworth is the head of the military division and all of VS. Foxworth definitely has more of that military, commanding figure type of persona. It will make for an interesting dynamic huh? Anyway, that's my guess. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

With that said, here is more info from JMS:

Dec.8.2002
<font color="orange">Presumably these are all yours? Do you know when the Samm Barnes episode(s) will fall in? And did you assign the premises to her or did she pitch to you?

She wrote "Rites of Passage," from her own premise and story. It should be a great episode, answering the question, "What happened to Jeremiah's mom?"</font color>

Sounds very interesting! Looks like I will have to update my episode guide here soon...

If I were a military guy, I would make sure that Devon wasn't the "head" of anything. You saw how stifled Markus' father was in "Firewall."

And we still don't know what side Devon was on. All we know is that he knows the vaccine, knows the disease, and was trying to get to something up at his office, toting his wife and a gun...

...and dissappeared.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back