• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Season 5

I think JMS was going for the "Greek Tragedy" approach, whereby the audience can see what is going on while the main characters do not.

I am tempted to agree though that, in hindsight, it might have been better making the revelation to everyone (audience included) at the same time, but then that had already been done to some extent with the Shadows.

Part of the fun with the whole Centauri arc in season five is finding out that it actually isn't the Centauri that's been attacking the Alliance but instead is former servants of the Shadows trying to blackmale the Centauri.

Exactly. I don't think they reveal the Drakh until the very end of the season.

Also how could you call this season subpar when you have an episode (can't remember the name, Fall of Centauri Prime?) when the regent gives that moving speach to Londo and then Londo meets the Drakh for the first time.

Exactly. I don't think they reveal the Drakh until the very end of the season.

Also how could you call this season subpar when you have an episode (can't remember the name, Fall of Centauri Prime?) when the regent gives that moving speach to Londo and then Londo meets the Drakh for the first time.
not to mention the political thriller of the five episodes before it

The problem with series five wasn't the lack of good storytelling or characterisation, but image. Having most of the arc threads tied up by the end of series four left the action a little flat. Pretty much from the middle of the third season up until the end of the Earth civil war, there wasn't a break in the action at all - no stand alone episodes that had nothing to do with the arc. Once the Earth and Minbari internal conflicts were resolved, the events that took place afterward seemed to be an epilogue of sorts. And with the cast changes, it gave the fifth year a sort of arc of its own (i.e. Byron's teeps, Garibaldi's relapse and Londo's descent). We the viewers were spoiled by the overstuffed episodes that we became restless in the face of deep exposition.

Personally I think, if anything, there were too many different plot threads in the fifth season. Having the benefit of retrospect after reading the Centauri and Psi Corps trilogies, each of those topics could have gotten a full year's treatment. Simply stated because a good deal of the plot threads in both cases were left dangling at the end of series five, especially the Telepath War that always looms but of which details are NEVER revealed.

To a degree, I agree with Mr Doyle that the plug was pulled too soon on B5. If JMS only wanted to do five years, I can't slight him for that, but there was an awful lot left of interest when the series ended. So if anything, the fifth season suffers for it - unanswered questions and the aforementioned lack of nonstop action.

then again, JMS has said that the telepath war will be resolved, either in a movie (or was it miniseries, don't really remember), or in a book.

I hope to got it'll be a miniseries

I hope it will be a movie :) I just drool thinking about how ILM could show us Geneva and the Vorlon Homeworld :)

10 Reasons why it fell apart:

1. Byron.
2. Byron's teeps.
3. Sheridan in politics?
4. A general lack of good enemies.
5. The ambassadors stopped acting like individual races with their own agendas, and started acting like a... team. *Shudders.*
6. Ivanova left.
7. Okay, we pushed out the first ones, cleared everything up at home... Crap! We we will have to ask Londo to go dark side again for us.
8. Garibaldi needed to apologize to Sheridan. Desperately.
9. The revelation that the Centauri were behind the terrorist attacks was given WAY too quickly.
10. We spent a whole without a bad guy, and we still did not even get a chance to kill some Drakhs.

I think that Byron is all that needs to be said. He didn't need to kill himself...I would have done it for him free of charge.

But, I did like season 5.(minus Byron)

Once the Earth and Minbari internal conflicts were resolved, the events that took place afterward seemed to be an epilogue of sorts.

I think that was always the intent, which is why some seem to have a problem with the fifth season. Many writers--especially fantasy writers--have the philosophy that the story never ends. Thus, although they finish off the main story threads, they always open new doors. That's what Season 5 did. Babylon 5 was about the "dawning of the third age of man," and that's what the series told. Season 5 was about the transition into that age after the wars were done, and about finishing character arcs and sending them off in new directions. I think that's why Claudia's sudden departure from the show hurt the first arc of the season--it removed much of the emotional meat of that story (and I didn't like Byron that much either, but I think that's the point. He's a bit of a fanatic--somebody who you can agree with on some level, but his actions and method revolt you).

In one respect, that season had much to do with War Without End, by showing how that future happened. We were already shown the end of the story. The rest is detail unrelated to the main Babylon 5 storyline.

Season 5 also does one thing that I like--it ends the series quietly and gracefully with the last few episodes. After two seasons filled with war, intrigue, and death, I'm not surprised that some weren't happy with the change in tone.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back