• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Season 2 DVD: Looking ahead (I hope!)

The_One

Regular
Hopefully, we'll be getting a Season 2 set. I was wandering what we should expect to see on this set and what we want.

Personally, I'm hoping for the following:

-Quality transfers like the latter episodes on the Season 1 DVD - this shouldn't be too tricky, Season 2 always looked (and sounded) far superior in quality to Season 1.

-Hopefully more than 2 commentaries, if there are just two, I'd like to see them on "In the Shadow of Z'ha'dum", "The Long, Twilight Struggle" (Probably my favourite episode ever, the council scene is so amazing - Peter Jurasik and Andreas Katsulas should have received Oscars for that performance). If I could have more commentaries, the last two episodes of the season would also be strong contenders.

-Perhaps commentaries from actors and other crew members would be good. Can you tell I like commentaries?

-I hear there is another documentary hosted by Claudia Christian - I'd like that on there.

-It would be nice to do another 10 minute documentary about Season 2, I felt that the docu. on the Season 1 DVD was really geared towards the starting out of the show, rather than the show as a whole. It would be nice to have a docu. every season /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Maybe they could get Bruce in for this.

Anything else Warner (could) come up with is a bonus - but good transfers and commentaries are the most important things to me.

-Hopefully more than 2 commentaries

That will depend largely on JMS's schedule. He had hoped to do four for S1, but could only spare so much time from Jeremiah and other things.

Peter Jurasik and Andreas Katsulas should have received Oscars for that performance

Or at least Emmys. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-Perhaps commentaries from actors and other crew members would be good. Can you tell I like commentaries?

I'm right there with you. I'd like as many commentaries as possible. Certainly I'd like to have each regular and each major recurring guest star (like Walter Koenig) do one commentary somewhere in the course of the series about his or her character. I'd love also to have Andreas and Peter do a joint commentary for one of the Londo/G'Kar episodes, and have Richard Biggs and Jason Carter share a commentary for one of the episodes during Stephen and Marcus's mission to Mars. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'd add some of the regular directors as candidates for commentary tracks on future discs, as well as some of the freelance writers. No chance of getting David Gerrold, since his "Believers" is on season one, but Dorothy Fontana should be available for one of her S2 scripts. Before the S1 set was announced I had lobbied Warner Bros. for those two because they are alumni of both the original Trek and TNG, and could have compared and contrasted the experience of working on all three series.

-I hear there is another documentary hosted by Claudia Christian - I'd like that on there.

First I've heard about this. Wonder who owns the rights to it? Also wonder if Claudia would have to give her permission for them to use it? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

-It would be nice to do another 10 minute documentary about Season 2, I felt that the docu. on the Season 1 DVD was really geared towards the starting out of the show, rather than the show as a whole.

I suspect that the interviews conducted with the people seen on the S1 set covered all five seasons, and that they just selected excerpts relevant to S1 for this set. I wouldn't be surprised to see them all back (and in the same clothes) on the S2 set continuing their comments. Obviously it would be nice to add Bruce Boxleitner to the mix starting with S2.

Regards,

Joe

I hope there will commentary for 4 episodes. IMHO the most important ones are: The Coming of Shadows, In the Shadow of Z'ha'dum, The Long, Twilight Struggle and The Fall of Night.

My personal hope would be doing the old Soviet revisionism that JMS always talked about after Melissa Gilbert became Anna Sheridan -- having her do the message in "Revelations" and restoring continuity.

One point though -- I've heard that they do have footage of MG doing the message, which they got when she came in for "Z'ha'dum," but I don't know the truth of this. Anyone out there with more info? (Joe?)

They did shoot Melissa reading the entire "letter" to Liz Sheridan, just in case they got a chance to use it later. But if they were going to make such a change, I think the time to do it would have been when the created the widescreen masters for the Sci-Fi broadcasts. Since they never did, I suspect that they either decided the re-editing itself was too expensive or that there is some kind of contractual problem in removing Beth Toussaint's scene in "Revelations" and replacing it with Melissa Gilbert's.

So it is possible, but I do think it likely.

Regards,

Joe

I wouldn't mind seeing Walter Koenig saying a few things about a Race through dark places since it is one of my favorite eps along with more from Andrea Thompson.I want to see an interview with Mira on both seasons on the charcter changes and in sight such.Courae anything with Mira I'll take.

I would most definitely love as many commentaries as possible. They're a win/win situation. If a commentary isn't very interesting, who cares, just don't listen to it, and if it is interesting, all the better, sit back and enjoy. I'd like commentaries from a variety of people including fx and costume designers, guest actors and writers or directors (in applicable episodes, of course). Obviously JMS comentaries would be the most desirable of them all. A dozen or so would be nice. I'd also love to hear a Harlan Ellison commentary. He's so knowledgable and entertaining, you never know what he will say. Obviously commentaries from all of the regulars durring episoded in which they are particularly featured would be way cool.

Just fantasizing........ /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Well, it all depends on how well Season 1 sells. If they make a killing, we should see more to come! If it sells like a lead balloon, well you get the picture...

It certainly sounds like the sales are going well... so hopefully even more time and effort will be spent on the next seasons, both the transfers and extras.

As for more commentaries though - wouldn't that depend not just on how well the first set does but also, even more so, on the people involved? I mean, if some of the cast just don't have the time or desire to do commentaries or interviews, then it won't really matter how well the 1st set has done (other than perhaps help point out to them how many people care about the show). /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

But of course, if the sales of S1 are very strong, then hopefully the planning for the release of S2 will be started sooner... giving WB/WHV more time to put some extras together, allow for more time for everyone involved for stuff like commentaries etc. So I'm hopeful.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back