• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Ruined even further

My take on the (admitted hard to swallow) love story in EpII was that the two people involved had never really had a chance to grow up, have fun, be kids. Anakin got locked away by the Jedi from age nine, and if the Jedi are forbidden to love (stupid rule) then I doubt he got much dating experience. Padme, on the other hand, has been in politics since she was about 12. A major figure, always busy, always in the spotlight, not much time for a personal life. In short, more socially adept than Anakin but with about as much romantic experience.

As a result, their love affair -- which is also nicely prohibited by about six different rules -- is extremely awkward. I used lines about as awkward as Anakin's in my first extremely botched romances, so I can easily believe such ineptitude.

(And yes, I'm rationalizing.)

He's moving on after the new trilogy, or so he has said.

I dunno. It was reported a couple of weeks ago that people at Lucasfilm had to sign nondisclosure agreements about Episodes VII-IX. That doesn't necessarily mean that they're going to be made though, just that they aren't allowed to talk about it if they are thinking of the possibility.

Personally, I think he should stop with III.

Other than Indy 4 (just do it George, do it for DL, do it NOW!!!!) what else could he work on ??????

In my kinder anti-lucas moments, I think he's a bit overwhealmed by what Lucasfilm, ILM THX and all the other arms of his empire have turned into. I think Star Wars is a big part of this. It's grown above and beyond a movie franchise.

It would be good to see him go back small independent filmaking, like THX1138 (original, not the new CGI enhanced version). I hope he can rediscover himself as a filmmaker again, and not a corporate CEO.

It would be good to see him go back small independent filmaking, like THX1138 (original, not the new CGI enhanced version).

I wonder if he's thinking of redoing "American Graffiti"? Wow, he could CG all kinds of cool stuff into that movie. Not! :p :rolleyes:

I hope he can rediscover himself as a filmmaker again, and not a corporate CEO.

Don't count on it. He's never really been considered a great filmmaker. He's a great idea man and marketer, but not a great director. Of the two friends, Spielberg possessed that talent, not George.

A part of why he's tinkering endlessly with the OT is because he didn't and doesn't want to be "hampered" by what they established in creating the PT. So, he's going back and altering the OT to fit what he's now stating really happened prior to their setting.

This, to me, is assbackwards. It shows his utter lack of imagination. There are wonderfully creative and better ways to remain true to what the OT established and still make the PT. And example of bad, unimaginative writing is the "Do you remember your mother?" question from Luke in RotJ, and Leia's response that she remembers images and how sad she was.

Well, rather than write to those lines, he's now altering the OT and changing or removing them altogether, since he decided to have Amidala die giving birth.

There are many, many instances of this. To me, it's lazy writing. The challenge should've been in creating a wonderous backstory tapestry while remaining completely true to what the OT stated and making such moments, moments where the audience not only bought the explanation but said, "That was fucking cool that way he explained that!"

To me, that's the fun in filling holes like that, the creative manner in which you reveal backstory and stay true to continuity.

No...GL just goes back and changes the OT so he doesn't actually have to think.

:rolleyes:

As for Indy 4, I was really looking forward to it until GL went off the deep end, fired Darabont, and threw out the script he'd taken years to write that everyone loved and had signed on for so that he, GL, could ruin...oops, I mean write the script himself. Knowing now that GL is penning the script makes my expectations of Indy 4 little to none. The only hope I still have is that SS is directing, and that he won't let GL put idiotic dialogue in it or let him alter everything so that he has to go back and "change" the OT of Indy. :mad:

Ever since SW: PM came out, I keep hearing the voices of the South Park kids in my head: "You killed Star Wars! You bastard!"

CE

(dodges to avoid CE's shouting South Park kids)

All of this just shows to me he wants to get the whole thing out of the way quickly.
Lucas is no longer the young independent film pioneer he was when he made Star Wars EP4 (which was, in my opinion, very well directed) He's now part of the monolitihc film industry he originally rebelled against.

That said, I'm still holding out for EP3. But I am a big sucker. It can't be as bas as the Riddick movie I saw last night. There was a case of throwing money into effects and forgetting about ther rest of the movie.

Oh, and check this: http://x-entertainment.com/updates/entries/archives/00000461.html

Some of these are very funny.

I'm still mad at Ted Turner for colorising old films, and that happened before I was old enough to know what was going on.

leave Ted Turner alone... he makes the most kick ass civil war films. Can't wait for the last full measure to come out. :D

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back