• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Rip me a mighty new one

Who could rip you a new one for that DVD Collection? I have 500 DVDs and your collection is better than mine. Of course, we have probably spent the same amount of money. I love those Japanese Criterions. I have about 1/2 of what you've got. I'd love to at least see all the titles I am missing. I'd love to own the entire Criterion Collection. For anyone else reading this, how good is the original Bourne Identity? I saw it in the video store the other day and I was wondering if it is worth spending money on. I am so sick of remakes!

Who could rip you a new one for that DVD Collection?

Pretty much everyone who comes over and looks at it. Common criticisms are:

1. All the sci-fi, especially Trek. This one comes from women. Of course I didn't expect you guys to do that since we're all bonded in our geekdom.

2. Westerns. None of my friends understand my obsession with westerns, especially Clint's flicks. They all associate it with what their fathers watch.

3. "What the hell is The Prisoner?"

4. Foreign films. Those that don't know them think I'm weird, and those that do think it's strange to actually own them.

5. Last and least annoying, Babylon 5. Yep, that's right, I get teased for it. Non sci-fi fans (girlfriends) think that Trek is already pretty geeky, but B5 makes 'em laugh. Trekkies sometimes give me attitude because they're still in the "poor man's Trek" state of mind. And to top it all off, the DVDs sit next to the paperback novels and 3 of the comic books, making a little centerpiece to my media collection.

Of course, this is all just good-natured ribbing, for which I get them back by pointing out that they actually paid money for The Cell and "how can you actually think Adam Sandler is funny?"

However, it's the CD collection that is a bigger target- literally. Jazz gets teased for the same reason Westerns do, and people just don't know what to make of Anglagard and Gentle Giant. :)

Whereas here we manage to skip all of that and find things to point out that we are surprised you don't have amongst all of that. ;)

BTW: What I came home with over the weekend because of a "Buy 1 CD Get 1 CD at half off" coupon:

Django Reinhardt and Stephane Grapelli with Le Quintette du Hot Club du Jazz: Souvenirs

Howlin' Wolf: a collection of his pre-Chess recordings in Memphis. I forget the actual title.

pre-Chess? Damn, that is old. I'm sure it's a lot of fun. Howlin' Wolf is the man. I use his line, "I'm built for comfort, I ain't built for speed" on women all the time.

2. Westerns. They all associate it with what their fathers watch.

Jazz gets teased for the same reason Westerns do

If I'm remembering your age right, I would expect your friends to associate jazz more with their grandparents than their parents. Most of your contemporaries' parents should have grown up / come of age somewhere in the time frames of British Invasion, psychadelic, progressive, masquarade (a term sometimes applied to Alice Cooper, Kiss, and their copiers), and maybe early punk (for the ones that started families young). That is to say the periods of the Beatles, Stones, Who, Hendrix, Joplin, Airplane, Deep Purple, Zepplin, Yes, Genesis, Styx, ELO, Kiss, Sabbath, Ramones, ......
Possibly just a little earlier, but I wouldn't think too much.

I'm 25, so yeah.

I mostly listen to jazz from that period, anyway ("modern" jazz).

My tastes contribute to the sometimes flattering but usually annoying perception of me as some sort of intellectual. People always end up asking me stupid trivia questions assuming I'd know it. Of course I don't, but I'm still the guy people pick first to pair up with for Trvial Pursuit.

Django Reinhardt and Stephane Grapelli with Le Quintette du Hot Club du Jazz: Souvenirs
Django Reinhardt is nice ... I don't have that particular album but I have Djangologie and In a Sentimental Mood and I've been listening to that stuff quite a bit lately. Sorta ... very old-fashioned (for me) but just right for some moods.

I do want more of both jazz and proper older blues ... more Muddy Waters for starters. :D I probably will once the current Stones tour is over and I can start the painful coming down process from that high. :eek:

Eh, anyway ... I don't get CDs or DVDs to impress other people with, I get them for myself so I couldn't care less about teasing (which I don't get much of anyway, seeing that I don't have all that many friends and they never come over :D ).

1. All the sci-fi, especially Trek. This one comes from women. Of course I didn't expect you guys to do that since we're all bonded in our geekdom.
I haven't met many women who like Trek, but then again I haven't went to any conventions but I'm sure they are out there. Some of my friends like..some dont.

2. Westerns. None of my friends understand my obsession with westerns, especially Clint's flicks. They all associate it with what their fathers watch.
My dad use to watch westerns and it was the only kind of movies that we could agree on to watch while I was growing up. I still love them and watch them all the time.

3. "What the hell is The Prisoner?"
I had no idea until about 4 years ago and I still only know one other person in my life who has seen or heard of it. I don't know how many times I've had to explain The Simpson's episode 'The Computer Wore Menace Shoes' where Homer is kidnapped and placed on the island.

4. Foreign films. Those that don't know them think I'm weird, and those that do think it's strange to actually own them.
I've only seen a handful of foreign films including The Seven Samurai which I watched strangely enough in an English Lit class. Im thinking about buying La Femme Nikita since it has been released on DVD with new features.

5. Last and least annoying, Babylon 5
It takes awhile to explain how different it is from Trek but I try to convert as many people as I can.

Of course for me, I get most of my ribbing from my Transformers and my boxes of comics which line the wall of one of my rooms.

I can't wait to tell my brother that Django Reinhardt was mentioned on a B5 thread. He is a professional musician. He introduced me to Django a couple of years ago. I can't believe there are people who would admit they don't like jazz music. Why don't they just say they have no taste?
Here is a question for any who have read this far, how many B5 fans do you know? I mean in person not over the internet. I am curious because I know none. The only B5 fans I have ever met are in places like this.
Another comment, I love Eastwood Westerns. My favorite by far, the one I can watch over and over is THE OUTLAW JOSEY WALES. I think one reason I like it is because I can believe that there really may have been a character who looked, walked, and talked that way. I think another reason I like them so much is because they are so far away from Wayne Westerns and Old Westerns in general.

Dude, you are the fucking man.

I can't believe there are people who would admit they don't like jazz music. Why don't they just say they have no taste?

Ouch!

How many B5 fans do I know? I can think of 1, and he's at best a casual acquaintance.

Though I do enjoy the occasional John Wayne western, I definitely think Clint whoops his ass.

Here is a question for any who have read this far, how many B5 fans do you know? I mean in person not over the internet. I am curious because I know none. The only B5 fans I have ever met are in places like this.

Well, it depends on how you count, both in terms how well I "know" people and how big of a fan is a "fan".

There are two guys at work (that was how I first got pointed to the Lurker's Guide). The wife of one of them at least watched with him enough to be able participate intelligently in conversations about the show, but I'm unclear on whether she would have watched it on her own.

There is an ex-housemate of mine who gradually got sucked in by being around when I was watching it. He eventually made point of watching the show too (including watching my tapes if he had to miss one), though I don't think he has bought any of the DVD's yet.

There is another friend of mine who basically weened his two older daughters (now aged 14 and 12) on the show. Is it fair to count the 2 girls who were raised watching B5 with Daddy?

There are a couple/few other people who watched reasonably regularly, but were never taping the show or anything like that. You know, people who if you asked them now would remember the main characters and a few major plot points (like that Narns and Centauri fought each other and the station broke away from Earth) but not really remember much of any detail.

So what is that? Something between 4 and 10, depending on who all you count, I think.

I love Django too!
As to how many friends are into B5? I have four close friends that are big B5 fans. One, and art historian, lives in Austin Texas. The other three all used to show up to watch it on my big screen during the first run. One is a lawyer, one a librarian, one works construction. The one who works construction has several friends, two I know, who are also B5 fans.

I (perhaps foolishly) jumped back into the whole Columbia House scam recently. My DVD shipment arrived yesterday: Psycho, Vertigo, Birds, Rear Window (a bit of a theme there), Sunset Boulevard (blind buy), Contact (listening to Jodie Foster's commentary now) and Election.

YOU ARE CRAZY!!! I will never go near Columbia House again. It took me 5 months of phone calls and e-mails to get rid of them. The only bargain you get is on that initial purchase. Thankfully, you made awesome choices. Man your collection only gets better and better. I wish I knew you personally so I could start barrowing from you. I hate renting! I do love this :LOL: because I love to laugh. I'm tired!

Back