• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Re: Rangers - can fans affect decisions?

StarStuff

Regular
Re: Rangers - can fans affect decisions?

1. Does anyone know if B5 fans had any input on the decision to continue B5 for a fifth season? If yes - how?

2. And, does letter writing ever make a difference?

------------------
God be between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk.

1. I donno.

2. yes, letter writing does make a difference if it comes in in large amounts.
and to a TV exec. 1 letter = 100 letters due to the statistics of how many fans and non-fans will actually take the time to write a letter about a show.

------------------
Noone here is exactly what he appears.
Babylon 5
G'Kar - Andreas Katsulas

Letter writing makes less of a difference than we think it does, I believe.

------------------
Channe, Freelance Writer Extraordinaire and The Next JMS
--
B5 Synchroninity of the Day: I just found out that the new dorm I'm living in next year has been named Breen Hall.

Well, from what I have seen, letter writing can't really hurt. TV execs are going to do what TV execs are going to do, regardless. But I do believe that letters could catch their attention and make them think about what they are doing, provided those letters come in huge amounts, as someone else has already pointed out. They might actually act on the letters and they might not. Letter writing does not always sway TV execs, but sometimes it can. If they see just how many fans of a particular show there are out there, they might just act.

------------------
Sheridan to Bester:
And I could nail your head to the table, set fire to it, and feed your charred remains to the Pak'ma'ra.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>1. Does anyone know if B5 fans had any input on the decision to continue B5 for a fifth season? If yes - how?

2. And, does letter writing ever make a difference?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1. No. Warner Bros. knew perfectly well that people wanted to watch the show. The problem was that the PTEN "network" was folding, all of its shows except B5 having already been cancelled. You can't have a network with one show. So it isn't like Warner Bros. decided to cancel the series and the fans talked them out of it. WB spent the better part of a year trying to sell the show to somebody before finally hooking up with TNT.

2. Hardly ever. Letter writing campaigns will sometimes save a show that is "on the bubble" - not doing well enough to be renewed automatically, but not really bombing in the ratings, either. Or if a network needs to cancel one of two or three shows and from a business standpoint, it doesn't much matter which. In that case the show with the most passionate fans might win a reprieve.

But no amount of snail-mail is going to save a show that is in the ratings toilet. Even a niche cable show in today's TV market has to attract several hundred thousand viewers on a regular basis to stay on the air. Network shows have to attract millions. And they way networks determine how many people are watching is by ratings, not by the viewer mail. Let's assume that 1:100 ratio is correct, and 10,000 fans write in to save a show. That means, in theory, that a million people watch the show. But if the ratings say that only 400,000 are watching, guess which number the network goes with?

The letter campaigns for the original Trek certainly helped, but that was in the days when dinosaurs walked the Earth and there were only three major networks (one of which didn't even reach a surprising number of cities.) The whole industry was different then. Even so, Star Trek fit the profile for "salvageable" shows until the third season (when it landed in a suicidal timeslot.) It was a show with marginal ratings, not a certifed flop.

Also the ratings system in those days wasn't good at tracking things like 50 college kids crammed into a common room to watch Trek, which happened a lot, and which many of the letters pointed out. So the letters (the better part of a million of them, which calls that 1:100 ratio into question, since there probably weren't 100 million households with TVs in 1966, 67 and 68) were enough to tip the balance. But if the ratings had been substantially worse, no amount of letters would have saved the show.

And I seriously doubt that a letter writing campaign in support of a show that isn't even on the air]/i] yet would do much of anything. Sci-Fi knows that there is a big audience for B5. That's why they bought the reruns, that's why they're airing Crusade, that's why they invested the better part of $4 million (USD) to make a new {b]B5[/b] TV movie. But there are a lot of factors that go into series production decisions, many of which have nothing to do with the quality of the shows or how much "confidence" a network has in a given series.

Putting together a TV schedule is like putting together a meal; you want the whole to work together. Even if you make killer black beans and rice, you probably won't serve them with a main dish of pasta.
smile.gif
So the process of planning a schedule and balancing costs, estimated ratings, ad revenue (which are down), budgets and the rest is hard, and I can't really blame the network for taking its time in these matters.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

If this question was aimed at getting fans to write the SciFi network about a B5LR series, I don't think it would do any good. Now it certainly wouldn't do any harm so long as the letters are polite and reasonable.

We already know SciFi is considering the matter but we really don't know all the criteria they use to make these decisions. We can only guess.

The one thing we know for sure is that they want a successful series that will hold the old fan base and bring in lots of new fans. After all we can't persuade possible new fans to write letters in favor of a potential show.
crazy.gif
crazy.gif

------------------

Actually, I wasn't thinking about starting a writing campaign before the Ranger movie airs. And, I can see that there are many factors involved in the decision whether to go forward with a series or not.

I was asking, theoretically, if fans can influence networks. I can see that the answer is no - in almost all cases.

------------------

[This message has been edited by StarStuff (edited August 16, 2001).]

If you want to write letters, join Amnesty International. That's where letter-writing works...

------------------
--
B5 Synchroninity of the Day: I just found out that the new dorm I'm living in next year has been named Breen Hall.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by StarStuff:

I was asking, theoretically, if fans can influence networks. I can see that the answer is no - in almost all cases.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not quite.

Fans can watch the show, and bring new fans in. Ratings are the biggest part of the equation that fans CAN have an effect on.

Ro

------------------
I have no surviving
enemies. At all.

Galen

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by channe:
Letter writing makes less of a difference than we think it does, I believe.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Obviously you have not taken part in a letter writing campaign to save a show.

------------------
Babylon 5
G'Kar - Andreas Katsulas

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino:
But no amount of snail-mail is going to save a show that is in the ratings toilet. Even a niche cable show in today's TV market has to attract several hundred thousand viewers on a regular basis to stay on the air. Network shows have to attract millions. And they way networks determine how many people are watching is by ratings, not by the viewer mail. Let's assume that 1:100 ratio is correct, and 10,000 fans write in to save a show. That means, in theory, that a million people watch the show. But if the ratings say that only 400,000 are watching, guess which number the network goes with?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

but don't forget that the ratings system was designed by the Nielson Faimly company and it only takes the ratings from a certain number of people so sometimes it happens that there are more fans of a show then there appears to be which is when the letter writing campaigns come in handy.

the 1:100 ratio is correct at the present time. I don't know if it was the same 40 years ago because 40 years ago only about 1 household one the regular street had a TV.

------------------
Babylon 5
G'Kar - Andreas Katsulas

Modane posted above: "40 years ago only about 1 household on a regular street had a TV." Actually, a great majority of people had a TV 40 years ago. It was in the very early 50's when maybe 1 household per street had a TV.

The original Star Trek was in the late 60 - I believe it started in 1967 - so even more people had a TV by then.

Just a little point but because I have first hand knowledge of that era I thought I'd post it here.

- - - - -

I just went back and read your profile (Modane) and see that you live in Canada so maybe it was different in your area 40 years ago than it was here in New Jersey.

------------------

[This message has been edited by StarStuff (edited August 16, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by StarStuff:

Modane posted above: "40 years ago only about 1 household on a regular street had a TV." Actually, a great majority of people had a TV 40 years ago. It was in the very early 50's when maybe 1 household per street had a TV.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fah. 50's. 60's. I tend to get them screwed up sometimes.
tongue.gif

but nonetheless, most households were lucky to have a TV while these days most households have like 2 or 3.
TVs are cheaper to buy than to get repaired these days so most houses have at least 2 TVs. IMO the ratings system needs to be updated somewhat.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>I just went back and read your profile (Modane) and see that you live in Canada so maybe it was different in your area 40 years ago than it was here in New Jersey.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I doubt it. I was most likely just thinking about the wrong decade. lol

------------------
Babylon 5
G'Kar - Andreas Katsulas

[This message has been edited by Modane (edited August 16, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Modane (edited August 16, 2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>IMO the ratings system needs to be updated somewhat.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It has been, continuously, for the past 50 years or so. There are several thousand demographically and geographically wieghted households with machines that record what channel is watched and when. There are several thousand more households with "people meter" viewership recorders. Neilsen also does other polling. Four times a year sends out paper "diaries" for folks in every single TV market in the country to use to record their TV watching habits for a period of four or five weeks. (These are the famous "sweeps" periods which set local advertising rates for the next three months.)

Broadly speaking the ratings are very accurate. They have to be. If they weren't, and the advertisers and television stations that depend on them found out, they would take their business to someone else and A. C. Neilsen and Company would be history.

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

Modane-

I was the Northeast Seaboard Coordinator for the Save SeaQuest Campaign. I wrote a lot of letters and got a lot of people to write letters. A shitload of people.

------------------
--

To put it in perspective, the best known fan letter writing campaign was the one for Trek TOS. It was the first time the networks had ever seen such a thing, so it made a Lot of news.

The thing about it was, the TV execs of the time Knew before the campaign that the show had a large audience. Their decision to cancel wasn't based on poor ratings.

It was based on the Demographics of that audience.
Most were under age 25.
A large percentage in their Teens.
As far as the Maketing people were concerned that was a Terrible audience because, in those days, people under age 25 didn't have Money to spend.
And very few products aimed at teens sponsored TV shows.

It wasn't a lack of Audience.
It was the Money Honey.

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.
Shall we exchange Recipes?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by channe:
Modane-

I was the Northeast Seaboard Coordinator for the Save SeaQuest Campaign. I wrote a lot of letters and got a lot of people to write letters. A shitload of people.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

when did that start up? after the whole aliens arc?

------------------
Babylon 5
G'Kar - Andreas Katsulas

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino:
It has been, continuously, for the past 50 years or so. There are several thousand demographically and geographically wieghted households with machines that record what channel is watched and when. There are several thousand more households with "people meter" viewership recorders. Neilsen also does other polling. Four times a year sends out paper "diaries" for folks in every single TV market in the country to use to record their TV watching habits for a period of four or five weeks. (These are the famous "sweeps" periods which set local advertising rates for the next three months.)

Broadly speaking the ratings are very accurate. They have to be. If they weren't, and the advertisers and television stations that depend on them found out, they would take their business to someone else and A. C. Neilsen and Company would be history.

Regards,

Joe

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

with some shows though, the ratings are somewhat off. it's accurate with a lot of shows yes, but not all shows which are usually the ones that get canceled.

------------------
Babylon 5
G'Kar - Andreas Katsulas

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>
with some shows though, the ratings are somewhat off. it's accurate with a lot of shows yes, but not all shows which are usually the ones that get canceled.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now there's a sweeping, unsupported generalization if ever I saw one...

What's your evidence to support this statement?

crazy.gif
Ro

------------------
I have no surviving
enemies. At all.

Galen

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>What's your evidence to support this statement?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The fact that some shows he likes get cancelled. Obviously the ratings can't be accurate for these shows. They are only accurate for the shows he likes that stay on the air, or for shows he doesn't like that get cancelled.
smile.gif

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back