• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Rate the TV movies...

Like some others, I'm going to exclude The Gathering, and like many others, I still haven't seen Rangers.

So:

1. In The Beginning
2. A Call to Arms (except the music - apologies to lovers of Chen)
3. Thirdspace
4. River of Souls (what was Martin Sheen thinking?!)

1. <u> In the Beginning </u>
2. <u> A Call To Arms </u>
3. <u> River of Souls </u>
4. <u> To Live and Die in Starlight </u>
5. <u> Thirdspace </u>
6. <u> The Gathering </u>

So I'm the only one who didn't like In the Beginning? Cool!! /ubbthreads/images/icons/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

Mind you, I'd have rated it higher on my list after the first time I saw it. But for me, it did not bear repeated viewing at all.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Kribu:
<font color=yellow>So I'm the only one who didn't like In the Beginning? Cool!! /ubbthreads/images/icons/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

Mind you, I'd have rated it higher on my list after the first time I saw it. But for me, it did not bear repeated viewing at all.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>
Boy, you dont like In The Begining, and you don't like Sheridan. Kribu, I am begining to think you have some serious issues. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Recoil:
<font color=yellow>Boy, you dont like In The Begining, and you don't like Sheridan. Kribu, I am begining to think you have some serious issues. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>
I can't imagine what you mean. /ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif

What can I say? I seem to not like most things. /ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif
Heh, I mean, I didn't even like Lord of the Rings, so you can't expect me to like everything about B5.

I can understand not digging Sheridan (even though I think he kicks Sinclair's ass by a milestone), but how a Babylon 5 cannot like In The Beginning is beyond me. I only wish I'd watched the show when it first came out, then watched In The Beginning. That must have been an awesome payoff for a loyal viewer of 4 years. Sadly, I saw everything backwards and upside-down.

Like Recoil, I'm not going to count The Gathering. I'm also not going to count the Rangers movie, sicne that's really seperate from everything. I think I'll leave out A Call To Arms, too, since that was really a setup for Crusade.

1. In The Beginning
The only movie that is a part of, and in fact, most of, the arc for Babylon 5 proper. Great performances. This movie is for fans only, though.
2. Thirdspace.
Meh. It was... meh. Very "safe"- not bad, not great. B5 is at its best when dealing with story arcs and civil wars and Vorlons and such.
3. River of Souls
I very much dislike Soul Hunters- in episodes, and this movie. IMO, it's the cheesiest of JMS inventions after the Zarg.

A Call To Arms was in the same vein as Thirdspace. I see it as just an excuse to give Earth a plague and setup Crusade.
Incidentally, did anyone see Boston Public last night? The captain from A Call To Arms that crashed the ship into the Planet Killer to save Earth portrayed Harvy Lipschitz' son. A credit to the actor that he can play a space captain, then a 60 yr old man only a few yrs later.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by GKarsEye:
<font color=yellow>I can understand not digging Sheridan (even though I think he kicks Sinclair's ass by a milestone), but how a Babylon 5 cannot like In The Beginning is beyond me.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>
Simple: the whole Earth-Minbari thing was easily the least favourite, least interesting part of the whole show for me. I didn't care for Earth or the humans for that matter, I didn't care for the Minbari, and I didn't care for the pathos in the movie.

I am fairly sure that's also why I don't really care for season 4 and rate it as my least favourite (apart from the 6 first episodes, but they are pretty much separate from the rest of the season).

ItB was sort of OK the first time. It was certainly well done and I agree about it being part of the arc. However, seeing it once was enough for me, as the next time I was already quite bored - unlike with some other movies or a good deal of the episodes.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Kribu:
<font color=yellow>Simple: the whole Earth-Minbari thing was easily the least favourite, least interesting part of the whole show for me. I didn't care for Earth or the humans for that matter, I didn't care for the Minbari, and I didn't care for the pathos in the movie.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>
How can you not care about Earth or what happens to us humans? You are one. This movie was about us, our arrogance and how it almost cost us everything. Yet from the worse mistakes came the chance for us to stand above everyone. As a B5 fan, and a human being I would think that you at least have some sort of interest on that level.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Recoil:
<font color=yellow>As a B5 fan, and a human being I would think that you at least have some sort of interest on that level.</font color=yellow><hr></blockquote>
Nope. Sorry.

Yeah, I'm human. Of course I care about Earth and humans (at least most of the time), but in this life, in this day. And I understand enough about the arrogance and mistakes that humans make without having to learn about it from a movie that had *way* too much pathos for me.

But tastes are different, as I've said again and again. I can understand why most people, most B5 fans would like the movie and those issues. It just failed to strike that particular chord in me.

1) In the Beginning
2) To Live and Die in Starlight
3) A Call to Arms
4) The Gathering
5) Thirdspace
6) River of Souls

My rate is:
1) In the Beginning
2) A Call to Arms
3) To Live and Die in Starlight
4) Thirdspace
5) The Gathering